Author Topic: Twilight Zone spruce up  (Read 3681 times)

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
Re: Twilight Zone spruce up
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2015, 08:59:01 AM »
nice work Rob, and you do awesome work for an amateur, keep it up

and congrats on another bub on the way
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline andypinboy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2015, 09:52:23 AM »
Cab looks great  ^^^ Agree re getting in too deep - it's then you learn new skills, plus gives added confidence to do more. I think you might be on your own from hereon in - your helper might be busy  :lol   Please keep the updates coming when (if) you have time.
I enjoy Porsche, Gibson LPs, Bally-Williams & learning about pinball maintenance & restoration.

Offline skywalker

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2015, 12:00:11 PM »
Looks Awesome Rob, This will look & play like brand new, Seems like you really enjoy getting your hands dirty for the End result  ^^^

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2015, 01:22:08 PM »
Looking good rob keep up the great work

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2015, 09:45:48 PM »

Robs work is better than 90 percent of the so called professionals.

The funny thing realistically in the pinball industry is that 99 percent of people are self taught cause it's not like its a profession backed by Tafe or the Govt etc.

I think in this industry, a persons skills are usually matched and measured by their passion.
In this case, Robs as good as they come. His previous Resto jobs were stunning to say the least.

I know what you meant Jady by saying amateur but it just sounded weird although technically correct cause Rob doesn't do pins for his whole income. You know what I mean anyway.
But if Rob did do it fulltime, he would be very very successful.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 09:48:57 PM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline andypinboy

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2015, 10:19:01 PM »
Good lord - I actually agree with Cavey. I'll take 2 aspirin & see how I am in the morning - lol. Seriously though he's right - passion is a big factor to these resto's coming out well. I'm surprised how damn addictive the hobby is - once you start what begins as just a bit of tarting up one machine the bug seems to bite...
I enjoy Porsche, Gibson LPs, Bally-Williams & learning about pinball maintenance & restoration.

Offline Attackfromlars

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2015, 07:22:22 PM »
 ^^^ ^^^ ^^^

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2015, 11:15:07 AM »

Robs work is better than 90 percent of the so called professionals.

The funny thing realistically in the pinball industry is that 99 percent of people are self taught cause it's not like its a profession backed by Tafe or the Govt etc.

I think in this industry, a persons skills are usually matched and measured by their passion.
In this case, Robs as good as they come. His previous Resto jobs were stunning to say the least.

I know what you meant Jady by saying amateur but it just sounded weird although technically correct cause Rob doesn't do pins for his whole income. You know what I mean anyway.
But if Rob did do it fulltime, he would be very very successful.

It is 100% self taught. Some components are part of trades. 100% correct on the passion - and you can see how good Rob's work is and attention to detail. Not only the application of the decals in the photos, but the fact he is using genuine licensed artwork. Often critisized for being "back yarders", these restorers do a far better job that the so called "professionals".

Rob would be hugely successful if he took it on as a professional job.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline robm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2015, 04:02:25 PM »
Guys - appreciate the comments but i really am not sure i am any better than others on this forum.  I have been asked a few times if i would do this for a job or real income, but i can not see this being the case - the reason being that i really enjoy the restoration process and take my time with it, i wouldn't like to be under any sort of expectation or pressure if i was relying on it for income.  Full credit to Nino for making from what i can see as a successful transition to a business.

Self taught is correct -  and its all part of the fun in my opinion. So many people seem scared to pull something apart or give something new a go, but i reckon its great fun!

Anyway, have a bit of progress.

Got the young bloke helping out with the headbox decals

Then put it on the main cab - amateur error here - note the side rails are not on and had to remove the head to put them on

Love the look of a freshly painted cab and new floor - i use an 8 inch woofer from Jaycar for the cab speaker

Have just starting repopulating the playfield. All metal parts put in the tumbler came up pretty nice.

The metal sheet that holds the boards in the headbox was badly stained, so i ended up using a 'chrome' paint from bunnings (British Pains brand) - it is a pretty dodgy chrome - hardly shiny, but it suits that perfectly and is very close to the original.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2015, 04:46:16 PM »
Machine looks great.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 04:56:38 PM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline andypinboy

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2015, 05:52:04 PM »
"So many people seem scared to pull something apart or give something new a go, but i reckon its great fun!"  This is so true - & once you pull it apart you (often) realise: 1. it's not as complex as you expected; & 2. you can rebuild it, learning some great new skills as you go.

Again, top job - can't wait to seethe final result!   #*#

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2015, 10:59:03 PM »
nice work  ^^^ ^^^
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline robm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2015, 11:01:36 AM »
Well, managed to nail this one with 1 day to spare before my wife is booked in to have the bub!

My parents are up to see their new grandkid, so dad has been helping out a bit by reproducing two new backbox doors for TZ - the two originals i had were very ordinary.  One tip, if you use MDF, it to use the old one as a template to drill the holes, and put another piece of board behind it - that way, it doesn't blow the bottom of the drill hole out.  Obviously old ones on the right, new ones on the left

Now why two doors....well i just might happen to have another TZ (a possum pin) that i plan on getting a CC playfield for....

The rest of the restore went pretty easily - basically just replacing all the cleaned components. I ended up losing the shaft that holds the ramp diverter before the mini pf, so had to make one of them up - just put some 4mm stainless rod in the drill press, and cut a slot while it is spinning with the dremel.

Also had to weld the slot machine scoop up, and fix a few minor switch errors.

I have installed a homepin MPU as the original was cactus - pretty easy to build and works perfectly.

Also installed Ingo's colour changing clock board that is awesome and trouble free, as well as colour changing LEDs in the door of the translite

I am waiting on a few parts to arrive like a coin door lock, proper rubbers (i only had a few different colour spares - hence the yellow/green/red combo), and i prob should get a set of new chrome legs.

Installed new rails thanks the Jeff at railways.

Anyway a few pics

So had my first game.....managed to get 653M and had LITZ lit but choked!!!!!!

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2015, 11:12:32 AM »

Beautiful work Rob, and thanks for sharing all these journeys!

All the best with bubs!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline andypinboy

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2015, 11:52:31 AM »
Congratulations on the new bub - great to hear you've had your first game on her  :lol  TZ looks tops - have really enjoyed this thread - ta.