Author Topic: Sunday Pinball Questionnaire - part 80 - Freiherr  (Read 8151 times)

Offline Freiherr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
Re: Sunday Pinball Questionnaire - part 80 - Freiherr
« on: April 19, 2015, 12:48:03 AM »
1. Earliest pinball memory?
A horse racing theme pinball at a barber shop in Riverwood (Sydney) around 1968. The Italian barber felt sorry for this kid hanging around his shop all the time attracted to a pinball machine and often gave me free games. It was a 1961 Gottlieb Foto Finish. Damn hard machine for a 9 year old but the games were often for free. This barber shop at one stage ended up having 3 machines (always new titled Gottliebs) and the last machine I remember playing there was a just out of box 1977 Gottlieb Golden Arrow.
2. All time favorite pin? Why?
Williams Firepower. I am extremely biased here as I played pinball machines up to 1984 and then turned career/family focused and did not return to pinball until 2011. There were a lot of DMD era machines which I did not play at all and so can not judge that era.
When Firepower came out into the arcades it blew my mind away like no other machine. It was so far ahead of its time. Innovative with multi-ball, speech, radical sound, lane-change lights, the displays and lighting during multi-ball countdown. You could loose 3 balls in 2 minutes or be on a roll and get a high with 5x max bonus. This machine either frustrated you or put you on an addictive high. Either way, you came back for more and that is what makes a great pinball machine.
3. Favorite pinball manufacture?
Gottlieb, because they were pumping out so many EMs and I learned a lot of my skills on those machines. Yes I played Williams and Bally EMs but I found the Gottliebs to be the most difficult to master.
4. Favorite game in your collection? Why?
Stern Star Trek LE. This machine screams out "Look at Me". The lighting is so sexy, the gameplay is fast and has smooth flow. I think this machine will age well.
5. How long have you been collecting?
Since 1980 when I bought my first machine. Took 32 years to buy my second and now I have 6.
6. First game and how did you find it?
Williams Flash. I phoned a small operator in 1980 and asked him if he had a Bally Lost World for sale. At the time I was really into Ballys and the Lost World artwork was amazing. He did not have one but said he had a nice Flash for sale, so I bought it for $500.
7. Do you still have it?
Yes. Still looks and smells the same as the day I bought it. I put it in storage in 1983 and only took it out about 2 years ago.
8. What are you currently working on?
There are 2 EMs that I bought from AP member about a year ago, 1972 Gottlieb Grand Slam and 1976 Williams Aztec. They are in the garage ready to start on. I will probably start with Grand Slam first. Have not got a clue about EM restorations so my project will be interesting and challenging.
9. Most wanted game to add to your collection?
Golden Arrow. The last new EM that I ever played. Fond memories.
10. Best all time bargain game added to your collection?
Grand Slam - I think it was $500 and the condition is original and unrestored. A restorers delight and a fair price.
11. Worst ever miss – tell us about the one that got away!
In 1982 (I think) I approached an operator who had 3 Firepowers in an arcade and asked if he would sell one. All 3 were in beautiful condition and he said he would offer one for $750. I was eager to get it but as I lived at my parent's place, they said one pinball there (Flash) was one too many. Oh well, no point in delving on what could have been.
An interesting pint was that the 3 Firepowers were German as I remember 3 kuglen and spiel (I think) and some other German stuff on the instruction card and coin slot.
12. Worst ever purchase – tell us about the game you wished you never bought
None. I love pinball so much that even a 'bad dog' could be made good so to speak.
13. Describe your collection
2 EMs awaiting restoration, 1 SS that needs a few moderate tweeks and tunes due to its age and 3 late Stern DMDs. No particular theme. 2 super heroes, 1 space, 1 sport and 1 historic.
14. Describe your gamesroom
The Family Room at the moment is the most lived in part of the house. 4 machines sit there and the 2 in the garage await restoration. The formal Dining Room at the front of the house never gets used and that will be converted into the gamesroom (one day).
15. Do you have other games other than pinball?
No. There is a plan in the back of my mind to build a MAME (or similar) machine with multiple table selections.
16. Where can you see the hobby in 10 years?
The hardest question is always left til last. I can not see much changing in 10 years. It will still be primarily a home-based hobby with annual competitions and championship events keeping the hobby alive.
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,