Author Topic: APR Current Direction..  (Read 3617 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
APR Current Direction..
« on: May 02, 2015, 12:20:35 AM »

As most of you know, there has been some significant challenges at APR in the first few months of this year. I've not spent enough time on the forum, and I've not spent enough time documenting restoration work. Somehow, we are in May. i don't know where the time has gone, but it feels like I've been "running up and down on the spot". I lost a mentor this year. A friend that impacted my personal and business life. Not a day passes where I don't ask myself "why did this happen. Why now ?".

The responsibility I took on to run RTBB has been one of the things that has helped me deal with the loss. The pride I have in his achievements and the honor I have to continue his legacy is unmeasurable. The friendships we shared with others have become unbreakable bonds.

The downside has been the time spend on RTBB has affected the APR Restoration Queue. Today, May 1st, is the FIRST day since March 27th where there are no "pending orders" on the RTBB website. We have caught up.

With the added workload of RTBB, we have decided that from this point on - APR will not be doing Repair work, with the exception of machines reconditioned, restored or previously repaired by APR. This is a business decision that will allow me to concentrate on restoration work - which is the whole reason APR started. RTBB will be run alongside APR. This does not really affect AP members that need repairs - but it does reassure AP members that have games in the resto queue that my attention is with their games.

The other decision we have made is to advise new customers that the waiting period for new restoration projects is extended to 2 years. This does NOT include games I have already accepted, or restoration projects I've provided quotes and timeframes.

I've been asked a number of times if I will take on staff. It is not an option as I like to micro manage my work, and that does not work well with others. I'd like to publicly thank all the guys that have offered to help - whether it be unboxing, to sorting to moving machines. 

I'd like to acknowledge the patience shown by all the members that have games in the resto queue. Things will start to move along at a faster pace.

There are still MANY more exciting announcements from APR this year. Some REALLY cool product announcements  #@#

More importantly, some VERY interesting restorations - and just maybe - I'll do one of my own games - but not before I've finished off a few more customer machines !

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
Re: APR Current Direction..
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 03:56:07 AM »
Like the sign says, it is 'Aussie Pinball Restorations'
Once you get the room set up for RTBB, things should work more smoothly

Offline oldskool1969

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 09:50:36 AM »
Yep, life happens.
I for one will be glad to see the restos back on track as they are an inspiration to us back yarders and the people who have some games in the que will be doubley stoked too.
BTW my Surf Champ is getting played at least 5 times a week, LOVE IT  ^^^
If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.

Offline Brunswick Brawler

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 12:07:59 PM »
BTW my Surf Champ is getting played at least 5 times a week, LOVE IT

I would guess that it was your Surf Champ I saw at a nearly complete stage at APR about a year ago.

Up to that point I wasn't sure if I should buy an APR machine simply brought up to a working state, or go for a full restoration that at that moment seemed expensive.  Looking at photos online the restoration work looked good, but I wasn't sure if the price was worth a full restoration.  Then I saw that Surf Champ in the workshop area, and was stunned.  The effort on the external and the often forgotten about internal of the machine was unbelievable.  Photos can not do it justice.   Most importantly, my wife (the boss) was impressed too!

Having seen that Surf Champ, it was then an easy decision to put the deposit on a full restoration.

I'm still about 50% through restoring an old machine EM that I have had since I was about 15 years old (30+years ago) that was rusting away in my parents garage - I started that about 4 years ago.  Thinking of the time needed for a restoration of the level of that Surf Champ, suddenly the price of a full restoration seemed cheap!

My APR machine is in that long queue, with the supply of a key spare being a primary source of the delay...

...But I'm happy to wait - after all when I think of the impression I got in seeing that Surf Champ, I'm feel I'm getting my playable piece of art, furniture and history at a cheap price.

Nino,
There are a lot of techs out there, but only a hand full of high end restorers.  Right decision.

Offline oldskool1969

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2015, 05:07:56 PM »
 *%* yep thats the one.
It takes a long time, but you want it to last a long time and when you finally get it, WOW.
What game is Nino doing for you Dude?
If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.

Offline Brunswick Brawler

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2015, 07:25:19 PM »
What game is Nino doing for you Dude?
Old Chicago.  As per my profile picture.  But don't tell anyone on the forum - I want to keep it a secret until it's done! %$%
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 07:29:19 PM by Brunswick Brawler »