Author Topic: Stern announces new KISS pinball  (Read 127671 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Stern announces new KISS pinball
« Reply #360 on: May 23, 2015, 11:00:59 AM »
Um...

Stern haven't included toppers with other LEs, so I can understand that Stern selling it separately and making it accessible to all.  If the topper was provided with the LE, Stern probably shouldn't sell it separately.

But the side armour should have been part of the LE package, and limited to the LEs.  LEs needed something more to justify the price difference to a Premium.  The side armour may have been enough to keep LE buyers happy.

Bally Williams did it - it was standard with titles that had a topper. Some exceptions like CV Scrolls, but it was commonplace for a topper. It didn't cost anything extra.

Here's a can of worms - JJP have toppers included in the price. NOT an option.. It is a standard inclusion.

My theory on the topper is that Stern couldn't do what Bally did in 1978. The KISS logo on the backglass (1978 game) is illuminated in the same way the logo was on the stage. Bally designers and engineers did it with 1970's technology. Stern could not do that, so they created the topper in it's place. The software should be able to handle lighting some LEDs behind the backglass ? THAT topper SHOULD be behind the backglass.

Bally achieved this feat of technology in 1978. Stern are just not smart enough. Applying Stern's logic, they could not work out HOW to do unless buyer paid for the feature installed in a topper.

From something that was posted on FB, we have not seen everything yet
Stern still has some tricks up its sleeve regarding the backvox

The LE star ttrek had Flashing LEDs in the backbox

That's great to hear. Speaking to 5-6 KISS buyers committed or committed, none are buying the "extras" - definitely not the overpriced and dysfunctional "topper". So hopefully Stern will realize that if they wish to remain faithful to the original (which is the entire theme of the game), then they need to utilize a part of the game that was stock standard in 1978, and EASILY transferred to the 2015 version. It would really finish off the game for me. Lets see if they are smart enough to realize the toppers simply won't sell.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia