Author Topic: Stern announces new KISS pinball  (Read 127664 times)

Offline andypinboy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW
Re: Stern announces new KISS pinball
« Reply #375 on: May 24, 2015, 05:13:57 PM »
I think the problem is that Stern could've built the "topper" into the backbox. If the backbox "Kiss" just has a few std leds behind it then its mundane for today's technology, & for a band like Kiss. So to get the functionality that should be built into a game of this calibre buyers who already have spent $8k to $11.5k have to fork out more if they want interactivity. When the game is switched off then Kiss & Kiss at the top looks like they ran out of ideas (same really when on). There are 100 different things Stern could have done. The smart guys will come up with a backbox mod to make it "dazzling" & interactive - & probably $100.

Topper aside, nice to see these p/f racked up:

« Last Edit: May 24, 2015, 06:07:50 PM by andypinboy »
I enjoy Porsche, Gibson LPs, Bally-Williams & learning about pinball maintenance & restoration.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #376 on: May 24, 2015, 09:41:50 PM »
Never seen ? anyone ever sell a topper for under $300 to $400 USA, let alone $100 but am hoping u are correct but nothing sells that cheap ?

Don't forget the topper has over a dozen different modes over and above the slow light up of each letter and u can buy one and plug it in independently of the pinball machine for a home or business.

If Stern had of built the topper into the cabinet, it would have cost more and any game without the topper would have had factory holes in it which looks crap when the Headbox is down.

When people get their hands on the toppers I am sure some will mod them and take them apart and recolour things n bulbs n plastics. I am wondering how much say the band had in it being KISS letters ? Also it os just over 8 inches tall and no larger according to Stern to meet height requirements/restrictions. Let's see how it pans out but am already feel thinking of many ways people will mod them if not happy with stock.

Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #377 on: May 24, 2015, 10:43:44 PM »
in Aus dollars the Stern Kiss Topper is $500 AUD which isn't cheap and probably targeting the Kiss fans more than the pinhead fans and sure they will pay for them.

Laseriffic sell toppers from $165 to $225 which are yes acrylic but not a little more 3 dimensional but doubt many people will be keen to formally produce a topper like this as word is Gene will go after them.
http://www.laseriffic.com/product-category/pinball/toppers/

The Stern kiss topper may have different lighting effects but still not worth the $500 AUD. I agree that Stern should of added some simple lighting effect pcb board behind the logo in the trans / bg and get the same effect for $50 cost. But I am sure that some one will create a lighting kit for the logo here in the very near future.
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #378 on: May 24, 2015, 10:48:31 PM »

We need more videos to move on from this disaster  #@#

you are over reacting
you play the playfield, not the topper, not the side armor

it is about the playfield and the backglass (and the music)

KISS is a great machine, Stern have done well

You and gorgar will get a kick out of owning and playing this machine

I stand by my comments, and speaking to a couple of LE buyers today, we all feel the same.

The playfield is simply awesome, and backglass is excellent, and the music can be replaced with the original recordings. so I'm VERY VERY happy with what I'm buying. That's not my gripe.
My problem is that the entire functionality of the topper is what should be INCLUDED with the Premium or at least the LE.

Thankfully the "topper" is an optional "extra". It looks crap. In fact, if the topper was supplied for free, the first thing I'd do (before replacing the cover band recordings) is to remove the topper and .. most likely give it away.

Agree with Gorgar and PBPete on this one.

$399 USA is not expensive for the factory Stern topper.
I doubt AMD will charge much for postage when they get them in.

Gorgar is correct, everyone else sells shitty Perspex toppers for the same price and they are not code enhanced or compatible.

I can't undetstand Nino why you don't like it ?
It's KISS in capital letters, the name of the band and the exact same font the band has always used.
Don't be too hasty to make your mind up on this because when it gets here and u see it fully functional, u might change your mind completely. Never say never in pinball.

I can't possibly see what else Stern could have done for a topper except stayed true to the iconic KISS letters and it will please most I would think. Judge it in person I reckon.

Also, you can change the bulbs to any colour u want I believe.
Imagine it any many different colours.
I will buy one for sure.

US$400 + Shipping + 20% mark up from AMD. It will cost around AUS$700. To put THAT into context - The original Bally KISS PINBALL would have been cheaper - AND - The strobing KISS logo was included as part of the game !!

I wonder if others have picked up on the red trim being leftovers from the AC/DC Luci ?

Like I said before - it is only a topper - no one is forced to buy it. There are literally hundreds of better and cheaper options. I'll be looking at whoever creates a mod that will incorporate the strobing effect into the LE backglass - as Swinks has mentioned.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #379 on: May 25, 2015, 09:18:41 AM »
Music can be replaced with original recordings?
Looks like I missed something here.
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #380 on: May 25, 2015, 09:28:20 AM »

I read somewhere that the SPIKE system would be configurable via a web browser. Apparently, a technically minded pinhead has already "cracked" the system, and one of the points raised was that many aspects of the games can be changed. There is no word from Stern, but it would be in their best interests to allow the features to be changed. All LE buyers that I have raised this with are hoping to change the songs, so hopefully we can ASAP.

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #381 on: May 25, 2015, 09:50:04 AM »
If the new hack is anything like the previous Stern system, the only issue was finding a song or grabs that were the same length of time as the song or sound you wanted to change and that if you did change the songs, it was like updating the code and wiped all settings, scores etc.  No idea of the new system would be the same.
Addicted to pins.

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #382 on: May 25, 2015, 11:10:15 AM »

I read somewhere that the SPIKE system would be configurable via a web browser. Apparently, a technically minded pinhead has already "cracked" the system, and one of the points raised was that many aspects of the games can be changed. There is no word from Stern, but it would be in their best interests to allow the features to be changed. All LE buyers that I have raised this with are hoping to change the songs, so hopefully we can ASAP.

It's a shame that the original recordings were not included in the first place.
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #383 on: May 25, 2015, 12:19:59 PM »

It's a shame that the original recordings were not included in the first place.

Band politics, and bad business. The main reason I have not paid for one single KISS item since 2001. The original recordings sound awesome. Some have really crap production, and they are raw. But they embody what KISS was about in the 70's. Note that almost ALL songs on the KISS pinball are originally recorded by the original members. By re recording the originals with the cover band line up, they don't have to pay Ace or Peter royalties on the music. This was done so that IF anyone wanted to use KISS music, then they were forced to use the covers (which is what they really are). If Stern wanted to use the original recordings, they would have to have that argument with the bands label. They would decline and forward the covers. What Gene and Paul did was ensure Ace and Peter don't get a cent (and Vinnie Vincent for "Lick it Up" and "I Love it loud").

The irony is that the music that KISS will be remember for, is from the first 8 studio and 2 live recordings. By re recording the popular tracks and making it available to license, is a disgrace - and one of the reasons I don't follow the tribute band line up. They are still my favorite band of all time (1973-2003), and I acknowledge that they still fill arenas across the globe to this day. But taken in context, they are doing this by dressing up Eric as Peter, Tommy as Ace, and playing 90% of the setlist from the 70's.. A nostalgia cover band. Even the RARHOF would not acknowledge ANY of KISS' contribution post 1979 when inducted last year.

Back on topic - I own the original recordings, so I can use them on my pinball as I see fit. As soon as I am able to replace the songs, I will ! 

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #384 on: May 25, 2015, 01:43:16 PM »
I know various people are already claiming they have cracked the SPIKETM software programs but I don't believe it.
You would have seen someone showing off their genius on YouTube already.

Also, everytime you do a software code upgrade, isn't that going to reset everything.
Again, the KISS machines haven't arrived yet and no person has heard the songs so again I see a lot of assumptions re the sound etc etc. Maybe people won't be able to change the songs, maybe the code won't be hacked.

I wouldn't get my hopes up on being able to 100 percent play with Sterns code. Warranty issues, making the machine inoperable and then the Stern code updates won't work, there is a lot of risk here playing with Sterns code.
Who can trust some hackers code ? On a $7850 to $11,000 machine, big risk.
It would be bad if the only way to fix it was to buy a complete new computer board, and that could be VERY expensive.

Unless Stern and the band release the orig songs and the code for it, the small percentage of people wanting to upload hackers software might get stuck, or even worse, a dead BNIB pinny.

Wait for the machines in person. You might like what KISS and the band/Stern have installed from factory ?

(Also, how tight arse is Gene Simmons denying Ace and the other band member royalties ? It's not like Gene isn't worth a few billion dollars ?)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 01:45:58 PM by Caveoftreasures »

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #385 on: May 25, 2015, 02:24:10 PM »
I will get a quote from AMD for the KISS topper in Aust dollars cause the suggested $700 sounds too much when the orig price is $399 USA ? Who knows if AMD will or won't mark it up ?

Perhaps the topper will be a better price for any person ordering a KISS Pinball from AMD ?
Shall report back once I get a email from Bruce or Michael for those interested.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #386 on: May 25, 2015, 03:51:42 PM »
I know various people are already claiming they have cracked the SPIKETM software programs but I don't believe it.
You would have seen someone showing off their genius on YouTube already.

Also, everytime you do a software code upgrade, isn't that going to reset everything.
Again, the KISS machines haven't arrived yet and no person has heard the songs so again I see a lot of assumptions re the sound etc etc. Maybe people won't be able to change the songs, maybe the code won't be hacked.

I wouldn't get my hopes up on being able to 100 percent play with Sterns code. Warranty issues, making the machine inoperable and then the Stern code updates won't work, there is a lot of risk here playing with Sterns code.
Who can trust some hackers code ? On a $7850 to $11,000 machine, big risk.
It would be bad if the only way to fix it was to buy a complete new computer board, and that could be VERY expensive.

Unless Stern and the band release the orig songs and the code for it, the small percentage of people wanting to upload hackers software might get stuck, or even worse, a dead BNIB pinny.

Wait for the machines in person. You might like what KISS and the band/Stern have installed from factory ?

(Also, how tight arse is Gene Simmons denying Ace and the other band member royalties ? It's not like Gene isn't worth a few billion dollars ?)

One of the guys dumped the code on a pinside thread. It's done. It is a Linux platform, so it won't be long before Linux Gurus jump on the code and make improvements. No doubt SPIKE will have its own Homebrew implementation within months.

Music is the re recorded cover band versions. It has been on all Stern Facebook updates. This is fact. NOT the original recordings.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #387 on: May 25, 2015, 03:55:47 PM »
I will get a quote from AMD for the KISS topper in Aust dollars cause the suggested $700 sounds too much when the orig price is $399 USA ? Who knows if AMD will or won't mark it up ?

Perhaps the topper will be a better price for any person ordering a KISS Pinball from AMD ?
Shall report back once I get a email from Bruce or Michael for those interested.

As mentioned several times - Stern / AMD are in this "to make a profit". There will be a mark up from AMD. It will cost at least AUS$700.. I can see it being reduced after Stern realize that they are a rip off.

Offline andypinboy

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #388 on: May 25, 2015, 04:36:49 PM »
Zax might give a better deal on the topper (for those keen). It will definitely be over $600 (if no mark-up) and probably $699 (with mark-up). To put it in perspective this is more than a colordmd for another game - it should play Looney Tunes music if anyone wastes that much cash on one. 
I enjoy Porsche, Gibson LPs, Bally-Williams & learning about pinball maintenance & restoration.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #389 on: May 25, 2015, 05:33:29 PM »
Rather than just guess what the price will be, I am going to get a quote on the topper for myself.
Speculating what the price probably is, compared to getting an actual quote is a waste of time for me personally. I will get a precise and proper quote.

As a repeat customer of AMD, they do not always place profit on top of every item for every customer.
I can speak from experience with probably 50 or more Stern translites, various parts plus shaker motors and delivery etc etc over many years.
Excluding pinball machine purchases, they did not make a cent off me once and although I was happy to pay a mark up, was never charged. That is very generous from any business but not unheard of.
This, combined with AMD,s perfect service, is why I always speak highly of Bruce and Michael.

If they charge me a handling fee or percentage, no big deal, but many people who have personally dealt with AMD will know that AMD never ,always make a profit on every transaction.

Another reason I have always been highly appreciative of Stern USA, is that when I have dealt with their parts dept, they also have 90 percent of the time charged me a lot less than their website prices and sometimes sent me items and have labelled the invoice as "free" - goodwill to existing Stern customer. Their customer loyalty has been better than words can describe. Between AMD and Stern, some of the nicest business people on the planet.

You don't have to be a repeat customer only of AMD or Stern to get this great service, I have many collector friends who have experienced the same as I have described above and they haven't bought a new pin before. Just got looked after.
If I pay over $399 USA plus postage for the topper, no big deal, but I won't know til I get my invoice/quote for the machine/shaker/delivery/topper etc.

Even if I only bought the topper by itself, I still need to get an actual quote cause guessing what it will be won't help me.
And yes, I understand the machine apparently has the re-recorded songs on it as per the bands direction.
But is anyone seriously going to risk hacked software being uploaded to a BNIB machine. I certainly would not.
But others are welcome and I hope it works for them.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 05:54:43 PM by Caveoftreasures »