Author Topic: Stern announces new KISS pinball  (Read 127747 times)

Offline RottyGuy

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Forum Posts:
  • QLD
Re: Stern announces new KISS pinball
« Reply #75 on: May 07, 2015, 09:10:45 PM »
With everyone here so horned up and loving the look of this, I had to look again and guess what?
A BIG FAT NO FIRKIN WAY! What am I missing? show me the way please.

I have to agree RE the cabinet. They could've done so much more with it. It will be interesting to see how it plays.

Offline andypinboy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #76 on: May 07, 2015, 09:57:27 PM »
I'm still on the fence re how this pin looks - BUT big thumbs up for a simpler p/f, no bash toy, drop targets, original band members, & some good tie-ins with the original. Very very tough & important pin for Stern - & I have to agree they've listened (I'm somewhat surprised by this). I am looking forward very much to reviews of the game play. Personally I'll be surprised if it's not the best playing Stern to date - the play field layout looks great - FINALLY some open space & no bash toy.... finger's crossed it is a cracker to play.
I enjoy Porsche, Gibson LPs, Bally-Williams & learning about pinball maintenance & restoration.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #77 on: May 07, 2015, 09:57:41 PM »
With everyone here so horned up and loving the look of this, I had to look again and guess what?
A BIG FAT NO FIRKIN WAY! What am I missing? show me the way please.

Where do you start ?

The artwork is unfreakenbelieveable. The most iconic pinball of the 70's is suddenly thrust into the limelight with modern technology. When was the last time ANY pinball had this much brilliance in the artwork. Even as a standalone piece of art, the playfield and backglass are awesome. Kevin O'Connor, Dave Christansen and Paul Faris were the best artists in pinball from any era. The fact that O'Connor was commissioned to do the artwork is in itself, something that Stern had done their homework on.

To draw a comparison - What if Stern wanted to do a similar job with say Fathom or Paragon. FIRST thing to do is replicate what worked best - the artwork ATTRACTED customers to the game. The playfield design KEPT them playing. I would not be at all surprised if Stern use one of these guys in the future. They did a similar job with Metallica - They brought in Dirty Donnie for the Metallica artwork, and they will most likely look at Derek Riggs IF they did an Iron Maiden machine. The artwork is a BIG letdown on arguably Stern's best game in 20 years - AC/DC. Imagine an artwork package of KISS on AC/DC ?

The playfield has had positive comments already. The flow looks good and the features don't really make sense at the moment. The levitating ball ties in with the "Love Gun" song in their live shows. Again, they did their homework.

Cabinet is simple. I like the LE, and I don't care if I'm spending an extra $2000 on fancy legs and trim. I'm a KISS fan, and it has the original four members on the cabinet - again, a tie in with the original.

The fans - Unless you are a fan, or you know a fan - you will NEVER understand it. If you don't like the music, again, you will never understand it. There is NO fan like a KISS fan. It's rabid, its diehard and it consumes a lot of time and money. My personal collection is worth $30,000 AT LEAST. I have not spent a cent collecting anything since 2004. If you have never seen the band live, you won't get it. There is a certain "magic" or "chemistry" of that original line up that is timeless.

Seriously, I was definitely expecting this is be a piece of crap that depicted the current line up. I was expecting photoshopped rubbish and cost cutting cheap toys with a rehashed playfield design. I was not expecting, not for a single minute, that this game would even look HALF as good as this. I don't care that the code will not be ready, I don't care that the trim etc is not worth the extra $2000. I don't care that there is no shaker motor, or topper included. I don't care that is has no LCD (I don't want that crap on a pinball anyway). I don't care if it costs $10K, 11K, 12K, 13K..

The only way I can draw an analogy for you Andy - Imagine a pinball with a surfing theme that had a wave you could ride forever ?

Didn't you mention "life is too short", or "You only live once" on the Big Juicy Melons thread - That's the FIRST thing that popped into my head when I confirmed my KISS LE.

I have way too many games to restore for customers and the chances of me actually PLAYING my own restored game within the next 3-5 years is impossible. So this machine is something I CANNOT wait to play.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Freiherr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #78 on: May 07, 2015, 10:12:51 PM »
Gees Nino, I see your other side other than a passionate restorer.
Good on ya mate and happy times ahead.
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #79 on: May 07, 2015, 10:18:46 PM »
Gees Nino, I see your other side other than a passionate restorer.
Good on ya mate and happy times ahead.

Thanks mate. I have had my Bonox.

Yes - I was the black sheep during my school years. I think back with fondness and often wonder what happened to The Culture Club, Spandau Ballet, Duran Duran and the almighty Flock of Seagulls.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Brunswick Brawler

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #80 on: May 07, 2015, 10:25:58 PM »
Personally, I don't like KISS.  Never have.  But this machine is a winner.

I can't wait to play it.  I expect it will not be hard to find this on location.  It will be a big earner for operators in Australia.

Offline oldskool1969

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
« Reply #81 on: May 07, 2015, 10:55:20 PM »

[/quote]
The only way I can draw an analogy for you Andy - Imagine a pinball with a surfing theme that had a wave you could ride forever ?
Didn't you mention "life is too short", or "You only live once" on the Big Juicy Melons thread - That's the FIRST thing that popped into my head when I confirmed my KISS LE.
I have way too many games to restore for customers and the chances of me actually PLAYING my own restored game within the next 3-5 years is impossible. So this machine is something I CANNOT wait to play.
[/quote]
Yep I understand that, but it would be better in an 80's Italian kitchen to go with the bench tops!  %.%
Just not my trip as far as aesthetics go, game play looks sort of different though.
I like ALL people who have a passion, regardless of what it is, sometimes I just don't get it. My problem , not theirs.
PRO looks the best though. Think the red is too stark and the colour scheme is well, GNARLY.
If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #82 on: May 07, 2015, 10:57:40 PM »
Brett looks like $7950 from Bruce incl gst with no coin mech

Awesome. Thankyou for the info.
Great post cause your info helps out all the members.

Was just thinking tonight

"What's the BEST thing to ever happen to Pinball ? ? (and Stern USA & AMD)

The Internet !

Gary Stern and Pinball Industry people like Gary who have been around Pinball all their lives would have relied heavily on "word of mouth" to sell pinballs in the old days pre-Internet.

Now Social Media makes life so much easier for both Manufacturer and consumer alike.
If 5 percent of the KISS Army purchased a KISS pinball, the snowball effect could be huge.

I would love to see the 2015 Model KISS Pinballs outsell the 1978 Model.

Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #83 on: May 07, 2015, 11:01:46 PM »
Nino...

When do you want me to start on the stencils?   %.% %.% %.% %.%

Offline Brunswick Brawler

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #84 on: May 07, 2015, 11:15:04 PM »
"What's the BEST thing to ever happen to Pinball ? ? (and Stern USA & AMD)

The Internet !

Very true.

More from the internet... Here is an excellent discussion on KISS by Nate Shivers, just posted:
http://www.coast2coastpinball.com  Episode 162 "Demon Tongue Madness or Stern Wants To Kiss You".

PS.
I suspect the 'spinning disks' under Gene's head are what was done on TRON.  Two disks, one inside the other, that make the ball go wild.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 11:17:33 PM by Brunswick Brawler »

Offline riverinapinball

• Forum Posts:
Stern announces new KISS pinball
« Reply #85 on: May 07, 2015, 11:19:45 PM »
Man, i want to play one.
Looks great to me.
I like the wireform ramp refurns.
Gene head looks cool.
This screams 70s..
Stern have done very well.
70s Kiss is awesome. Modern Kiss is a bit lame. So the idea of retro really works.
Stern have hit the nail on the head with this one.
Looks absolutely  awesome.

Offline Cursed

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
« Reply #86 on: May 07, 2015, 11:25:30 PM »
Haha, I am thoroughly enjoying Nino's excitement on this!

Reminds me of when I paid for my Tron NIB and had to wait a couple of months for it, I was so excited.

Hope to feel that again one day, c'mon Resident Evil pin....... *%*

Ok back to regular programming, like the idea of a ball lock with a spinning disc in it. Similar to the Tortuga shot on POTC.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #87 on: May 07, 2015, 11:35:28 PM »
I wanted to add something after reading Nino,s post which I really enjoyed reading cause I love the deep passion people have for pinball and also for music.

Being a blatant blatant Stern fan, I am really glad to see someone excited about a machine.
I know it's a crazy thing to say, but some of us fall in love at first sight with pinball machines like we do with women and cars. Some blokes will understand what I am saying and some won't. But us guys love our machinery, our touchable mechanical things. Sometimes, I wonder what gives me more enjoyment, walking into a room and just staring at a pinball machine for 15 minutes and studying the beauty of it and it's deep visual attraction or playing it.
Nino is spot on, these things are art pieces.

Another thing, if you think these Sterns look great in the photos, I can tell you from the Sterns I have purchased, they look twice as good in the flesh in your own house/room, lit up or not.

Last thing, I can't under estimate the ABSOLUTE BRILLIANCE that is John Borg.
This guy is a genius with his playfields and his shots and flow.
His use of arrows (lit inserts etc) on a playfield is just awesome.
My X Men Pro is a classic example. The use of red arrows on the playfield on that game is just genius.

There are lots of them on that game but it works so well.
No Borgy design is the same but they have the uniquely successful Borgy feel.

In anyone else's hands, this KISS game could have been so so, but to me, as a huge John Borg fan and owner of a lot of his titles, it was a given this game was going to be killer.
Steve Ritchie might be the KING, but Johnny Borg is THE GENIUS of modern Pinball.

I say to anyone who wants a great 24 to 48 hour fun trip for a lousy couple of hundred bucks if u live outside of Sydney, catch a cheap return flight to visit AMD and say hello to Bruce and Michael and go and look first hand at the latest range of Sterns incl KISS when it comes into stock.

Even if you aren't going to buy, it's worth the few hundred bucks to visit AMD.
OR visit TimeZone at Surfers on the Gold Coast and see and play every latest Stern you could imagine.

You will feel like a kid in a lollie shop at either AMD or TimeZone Surfers.
Like I said before, these games look great in photos, but are just awesome in real life.

Some people are a bit ? About ACDC artwork on the pin. But it is so much better in real life than the photos. All the Sterns are.

I am like Nino and others, I love the bands music (both ACDC and KISS).
If you like the music, you are already at least half way there to being attracted to the pin.

I just think anything that promotes Stern and Pinball is excellent.
John Borg, and team Stern just keep hitting home runs clear out of the park !

Gary Stern would be dam proud to have Borgy on the payroll.
Borgy just got a whack of new fans, the entire KISS Army !

Also really glad AMD have another winner to sell. Having AMD in Australia and healthy is vital to modern day pinball promotion. I reckon the media will really pick up on this title.
It's great that pinball now in Australia is considered very cool. Happy days for all passionate pinheads.

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #88 on: May 08, 2015, 12:33:16 AM »
Well I was going to order a premium due to color scheme but thought **** it I'll go the LE  after all there my favourite band. I know Adam and Blair I'm always changing my mind lol
This will sit nice next to my back in black oh and I have there concert in October what a year  $#$
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 12:49:37 AM by GORGAR 1 »

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #89 on: May 08, 2015, 12:57:20 AM »
Pete, buy the Pro !

Change Ya mind again and save 3 grand. Lol

Seriously though, the LE will be the best resale probably but maybe play the different models first then decide.
When I bought ACDC and X Men, I played them all and actually liked the faster game play and wildness of the Pro models. Same with Mustang and The Walking Dead.

The Premium/LE models have extra eye candy and a few Playfield additions but I find they play slower than the Pro, designed to gobble coins faster and they are more challenging being faster and wilder.

Do you like your women, I mean pinballs wild n fast or a little more pretty and mellow ? Lol
Dont answer that. Lol