Author Topic: Stern announces new KISS pinball  (Read 127764 times)

Offline GORGAR 1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
Re: Stern announces new KISS pinball
« Reply #810 on: April 05, 2016, 06:04:51 PM »
Just posted hopefully tomorrow?

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #811 on: April 06, 2016, 09:58:37 AM »

Another day passes at Stern with no code update. The explosion near the center of the photo is a Stern KISS fan's head exploding as the new armor for Ghostbusters was released instead.  <.>
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #812 on: April 06, 2016, 05:37:49 PM »
What would the general consensus be if Stern started charging customers for code updates?

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #813 on: April 06, 2016, 06:02:46 PM »
What would the general consensus be if Stern started charging customers for code updates?

Funny I thought this a while back when they ran the comp / facebook thing for Metallica and the new tracks.

As Metallica is a keeper and I like most of their music, I'd happy pay to have a custom code from the factory with the songs I want  and perhaps some other cool little easter eggs.  One thing for certain would be my initials on all the factory high scores.

How much for this ?  I'd pay a $100 without too much thought for it.

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #814 on: April 06, 2016, 06:59:45 PM »

it would have to start to affect the sales, but bet that Jody guy has already considered it.
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #815 on: April 06, 2016, 08:38:40 PM »

I wouldn't like it one bit, we are already paying too much for these toys.
 **&

" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #816 on: April 06, 2016, 08:48:05 PM »

Another day passes at Stern with no code update. The explosion near the center of the photo is a Stern KISS fan's head exploding as the new armor for Ghostbusters was released instead.  <.>
its starting to sound like those guys who used to knock on my door on weekends and tell me the world was going to end so join up to religion. Hey both stern and these will be right one day  !@#
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #817 on: April 06, 2016, 09:16:26 PM »

I would have no problem with that at all.

So in my case, I pay 50% for my KISS LE and then I pay 10% each time they take steps to complete the code. Over time, Stern finishes my game, and I don't get angry waiting for the game to be completed. It also encourages Stern to work on the current games instead of adding code for toppers and other crap. If they don't finish the game, they don't maximize their return.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #818 on: April 07, 2016, 03:43:18 PM »

So in my case, I pay 50% for my KISS LE and then I pay 10% each time they take steps to complete the code. Over time, Stern finishes my game, and I don't get angry waiting for the game to be completed. It also encourages Stern to work on the current games instead of adding code for toppers and other crap. If they don't finish the game, they don't maximize their return.

It's the only area in which they are essentially not only not making any money, but are losing money due to having to pay coders to make and distribute what is essentially free updates. Not surprised they drag their feet when they have a much more lucrative alternative to sell $400 novelty toppers.  %$%

Ultimately though, the market ends up suffering for it in the long run.

I really wouldn't be surprised if in the future they borrow a page from the billion dollar console market playbook and start charging customers to access updated code on a regular basis so that they have the "privilege" of playing the original intended game. With this pricing/distribution model, the consumer ends up paying over and above and well into the future for something that should have been essentially complete on release.

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #819 on: April 07, 2016, 08:23:08 PM »

OK - going back 8 pages I made this post:

Anyway... new Sterns are now some $12K... that's an awful lot of moolah. Sterns marketing ploy is that IF you want to own a title you have to buy incomplete to secure it ( its a pretty shithouse situation). So we end up with people like Nino who have to buy in order to own whether they like it or not. LE's are just that.. well, meant to be limited edition. In all fairness, these games should come fully coded... but they don't.

So a 12K machine is sold for $10K and if you want code updates then you buy them from Stern.. complete code is $2K. Or you can keep your $10K version as it is.

No hang on a minute.. that wont work as it still means Stern have to have completed code as an added extra and completing code is Sterns achilles heel.

Ok - plan B.

You all pay a deposit to secure a game..LE..Pro whatever but don't pay the full amount till code is finished and then you get your game... now this is fair to both parties because at the moment Stern are taking your money for something they don't have.

Oh.. forgot, its pinball and this is accepted practice.

Ok everyone, move along, nothing to see here

And if you want to read anything into the sunset picture Stern posted, my interpretation is that its on the horizon and seeing as the sun is 97 million miles away.. your code is a bloody long way off!!!

Offline DSB

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
    • OMNI Electrical & Data
« Reply #820 on: April 07, 2016, 08:29:01 PM »

Good in theory but I think a hacker would make short work of this system. Black market code updates.

Offline oldskool1969

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
« Reply #821 on: April 07, 2016, 08:49:57 PM »
It is a shame we get an incomplete code, but, at least we can upload via USB when available and not have to re flash chips.
Also joe public can have input/ feedback and make it a better experience a bit later down the track after release.
Don't worry, I am still waiting on the FINAL code for WNBJM, me thinks I will be waiting quite a while as it is a limited release.
Believe me WNBJM has A LOT more work to be done than KISS.
I would however like to be able to make my own rules/call outs etc. Not that clever though
If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #822 on: April 07, 2016, 11:46:31 PM »
There all the same Hobbit announced 2012 game nearly shipping code no where near finished WTF and reliability issues already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #823 on: April 08, 2016, 09:05:57 AM »
Just posted on Sterns FB page:

Over the next few days and over the weekend we will be play testing the newest KISS pinball code to hopefully be released next week.  Cross your fingers it all tests well.  It's coming! #kisspinball #newcode

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #824 on: April 08, 2016, 09:54:37 AM »
It may not happen overnight , but it will happen