Author Topic: Stern announces new KISS pinball  (Read 127358 times)

Offline robm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
Re: Stern announces new KISS pinball
« Reply #345 on: May 22, 2015, 08:22:06 PM »
Stern have been missing out on cashing in on the mods for too long now.  Would I be p'd off if I had ordered an LE.....yes.  Does it make good business sense to offer the topper......yes.  Agree side armour should have been on the LE's as standard in a particular colour and then offer them in a different colour as a mod.  yes people could buy them and get them powdercoated or painted to look the same but Stern could easily put a LE sticker of some sort on the armour and then clearcoat it so it would always be a genuine LE item only.

End of the day, it's all about the hype and all the posts here alone are proof of that.  Some may think Stern have stuffed this up but when you look at all the hype surrounding this machine and the number of sales already generated, they have done well.  It might not be right or it may not please everyone, but they have done well.

Another reason to sit back and actually wait and see what the machine is going to be like and not get sucked in just yet.  I would love a Premium but I am not committing to anything just yet.

Well said!

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #346 on: May 22, 2015, 08:32:04 PM »
From what I have seen I think the PRO version should be a great buy as not alot of differences from what can be seen.

- drop target would be nice but regular target is less mechanical and faster in play
- no love gun levitating ball and associated diverter ramp but not a huge loss I don't think, might just slow the game down a little.
- the physical ball lock in the Gene head would be cool but again you can still have multiball but shot from the shooter lane instead and maybe no as many ball multiball ???
- the lighting is probably the biggest noticeable feature but unlike other pros this one appears to have all the songs, so colour changing arrows and colour changing pops so it is probably one of the better pros in features and gameplay.

As for the Le's and mods, I reckon they should have the range in a mod / upgrade catalogue and all the LE owners can mix and match with a final selection and their game arrives fully assembled from the factory with what ever trim the customer wants. I don't agree with the extra $1000 cash grab for the LE owners. Premium guys can still buy the extra gear but not standard with the game would be fine but LE guys should get to pick, with maybe the topper at cost as a option.

That said I scored a new job today so all going well in a month or 2 I might be getting a KISS Pro
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 08:36:27 PM by swinks »
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #347 on: May 22, 2015, 08:50:58 PM »
Um...

Stern haven't included toppers with other LEs, so I can understand that Stern selling it separately and making it accessible to all.  If the topper was provided with the LE, Stern probably shouldn't sell it separately.

But the side armour should have been part of the LE package, and limited to the LEs.  LEs needed something more to justify the price difference to a Premium.  The side armour may have been enough to keep LE buyers happy.

Bally Williams did it - it was standard with titles that had a topper. Some exceptions like CV Scrolls, but it was commonplace for a topper. It didn't cost anything extra.

Here's a can of worms - JJP have toppers included in the price. NOT an option.. It is a standard inclusion.

My theory on the topper is that Stern couldn't do what Bally did in 1978. The KISS logo on the backglass (1978 game) is illuminated in the same way the logo was on the stage. Bally designers and engineers did it with 1970's technology. Stern could not do that, so they created the topper in it's place. The software should be able to handle lighting some LEDs behind the backglass ? THAT topper SHOULD be behind the backglass.

Bally achieved this feat of technology in 1978. Stern are just not smart enough. Applying Stern's logic, they could not work out HOW to do unless buyer paid for the feature installed in a topper.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline GORGAR 1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #348 on: May 22, 2015, 09:34:12 PM »
Congrats on the new job Jady well done :) and treat yourself with a new pinball good stuff.

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #349 on: May 22, 2015, 09:40:37 PM »

THAT topper SHOULD be behind the backglass.

That would be very cool indeed.  There is plenty of space now and imagine that with like a 3D effect behind the glass and mirrored edging...

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #350 on: May 22, 2015, 09:56:53 PM »
no reason why #@# a KISS shaped shroud can't be made to sit inside the backbox with some lighting as long as the light can penetrate the translite / backglass on the KISS logo..
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #351 on: May 22, 2015, 10:49:45 PM »
I gotta say some of the negative comments a page or two ago about Stern and the KISS game have surprised even me.

No one has seen the game in person, or played it even, and are bagging what Stern has or hasn't done.

I say wait for the game to get here first before making final decisions.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 11:02:20 PM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #352 on: May 22, 2015, 11:17:19 PM »
I gotta say some of the negative comments a page or two ago about Stern and the KISS game have surprised even me.

No one has seen the game in person, or played it even, and are bagging what Stern has or hasn't done.

I say wait for the game to get here first before making final decisions.

Surprised EVEN you???  %.% %.% %.% %.% %.% %.% %.%

Oh man you are so touchy feely and don't actually read whats written. Noone has "bagged" the game.. criticism is about the Stern cash in on extras.
here we go again.. Brets famous Cut and Paste posts

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #353 on: May 22, 2015, 11:30:24 PM »
I am entitled to my opinion.
Last time I checked Stern was in the market to make a profit.
If a car company offers "optional extras" for a car, is that called a "cash grab".
Where does the "included" and not included "options" start and stop. You cannot please everybody.
If you can't afford it, don't buy it. Simple.

Your assumption I don't read is totally incorrect ofcourse.

Here we go again, Gavin's negativity about my opinion or opinions.
I haven't cut n pasted anything so again you are incorrect again.

I suggest you stick to having an opinion about the KISS game rather than focusing on one other members posts or opinions. I already have one father who I don't like, I DONT need another Gavin !

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #354 on: May 22, 2015, 11:35:44 PM »
From what I have seen I think the PRO version should be a great buy as not alot of differences from what can be seen.

- drop target would be nice but regular target is less mechanical and faster in play
- no love gun levitating ball and associated diverter ramp but not a huge loss I don't think, might just slow the game down a little.
- the physical ball lock in the Gene head would be cool but again you can still have multiball but shot from the shooter lane instead and maybe no as many ball multiball ???
- the lighting is probably the biggest noticeable feature but unlike other pros this one appears to have all the songs, so colour changing arrows and colour changing pops so it is probably one of the better pros in features and gameplay.

That said I scored a new job today so all going well in a month or 2 I might be getting a KISS Pro

Great info Jady(Swinksy).
Well done on the new job and congrats if you buy a Pro.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 11:37:59 PM by Caveoftreasures »

Offline Brunswick Brawler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #355 on: May 22, 2015, 11:47:27 PM »
With everybody seeming to like the playfield, I started thinking:  We won't be playing this game for months. I hope we aren't all hyping this up so much that when we play it, we end up disappointed.

I don't think that will be the case. I'm dying to play this.

...Regarding Gene rolling the balls out, I prefer that to the balls being shot out - it looks smooth (almost an EM speed feel).  At a slower speed, you have some better chance of catching the ball or playing it directly.  I've never liked having the ball shot at the flipper at high speed.  I'm often caught glancing at the DMD as the ball is shot out.

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #356 on: May 22, 2015, 11:51:48 PM »
I am entitled to my opinion.
Last time I checked Stern was in the market to make a profit.
If a car company offers "optional extras" for a car, is that called a "cash grab".
Where does the "included" and not included "options" start and stop. You cannot please everybody.
If you can't afford it, don't buy it. Simple.

Your assumption I don't read is totally incorrect ofcourse.

Here we go again, Gavin's negativity about my opinion or opinions.
I haven't cut n pasted anything so again you are incorrect again.

I suggest you stick to having an opinion about the KISS game rather than focusing on one other members posts or opinions. I already have one father who I don't like, I DONT need another Gavin !

maybe you might like to take your own advice pal.. you air your opinions all the time and just have commenting on supposed negative post as you do on any Stern thread.. now we yet again have aired personal issues regarding your father.
We don't care about your personal insecurities.. that's your beef to get over and this aint the place to do it

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #357 on: May 23, 2015, 01:59:55 AM »
Gavin, The line about the father was to make a point about you speaking down to me like u are the father figure.     You then go and take the comment literally which was plain silly.
Do u think putting me down publically makes you appear smarter or something.. I am not your pal, never will be, so keep your condescending comments to yourself and stick to talking about the KISS pinball.

I have placed you on my ignore list so don't bother with any further comments because you will be talking to yourself.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 02:07:56 AM by Caveoftreasures »

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #358 on: May 23, 2015, 02:02:47 AM »
With everybody seeming to like the playfield, I started thinking:  We won't be playing this game for months. I hope we aren't all hyping this up so much that when we play it, we end up disappointed.

I don't think that will be the case. I'm dying to play this.

...Regarding Gene rolling the balls out, I prefer that to the balls being shot out - it looks smooth (almost an EM speed feel).  At a slower speed, you have some better chance of catching the ball or playing it directly.  I've never liked having the ball shot at the flipper at high speed.  I'm often caught glancing at the DMD as the ball is shot out.

Good post BB. Waiting for the games to arrive in Australia is like waiting the night before Xmas. Can't come quick enough.

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #359 on: May 23, 2015, 04:06:30 AM »
Um...

Stern haven't included toppers with other LEs, so I can understand that Stern selling it separately and making it accessible to all.  If the topper was provided with the LE, Stern probably shouldn't sell it separately.

But the side armour should have been part of the LE package, and limited to the LEs.  LEs needed something more to justify the price difference to a Premium.  The side armour may have been enough to keep LE buyers happy.

Bally Williams did it - it was standard with titles that had a topper. Some exceptions like CV Scrolls, but it was commonplace for a topper. It didn't cost anything extra.

Here's a can of worms - JJP have toppers included in the price. NOT an option.. It is a standard inclusion.

My theory on the topper is that Stern couldn't do what Bally did in 1978. The KISS logo on the backglass (1978 game) is illuminated in the same way the logo was on the stage. Bally designers and engineers did it with 1970's technology. Stern could not do that, so they created the topper in it's place. The software should be able to handle lighting some LEDs behind the backglass ? THAT topper SHOULD be behind the backglass.

Bally achieved this feat of technology in 1978. Stern are just not smart enough. Applying Stern's logic, they could not work out HOW to do unless buyer paid for the feature installed in a topper.

From something that was posted on FB, we have not seen everything yet
Stern still has some tricks up its sleeve regarding the backvox

The LE star ttrek had Flashing LEDs in the backbox