Author Topic: Stern announces new KISS pinball  (Read 127383 times)

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Re: Stern announces new KISS pinball
« Reply #360 on: May 23, 2015, 09:53:20 AM »

I am entitled to my opinion.

Fair enough, but...

I say wait for the game to get here first before making final decisions.

The why are you telling others how they should think?

The criticism has not been so much of the game, but rather the Stern business model. Your comments are right off the mark.

In my opinion this title has met probably the best reception of any Stern on this forum (maybe Metallica and TWD were up there).

I suggest you stick to having an opinion about the KISS game rather than focusing on one other members posts or opinions.

Take your own advice and keep your comments on the game rather than the posts and opinions of other members. If some want to criticise the Stern, Kiss, expensive mods or whatever about this title, those comments are as welcome as the positive comments.

“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Brunswick Brawler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #361 on: May 23, 2015, 10:56:47 AM »
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 10:58:39 AM by Brunswick Brawler »

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #362 on: May 23, 2015, 11:00:59 AM »
Um...

Stern haven't included toppers with other LEs, so I can understand that Stern selling it separately and making it accessible to all.  If the topper was provided with the LE, Stern probably shouldn't sell it separately.

But the side armour should have been part of the LE package, and limited to the LEs.  LEs needed something more to justify the price difference to a Premium.  The side armour may have been enough to keep LE buyers happy.

Bally Williams did it - it was standard with titles that had a topper. Some exceptions like CV Scrolls, but it was commonplace for a topper. It didn't cost anything extra.

Here's a can of worms - JJP have toppers included in the price. NOT an option.. It is a standard inclusion.

My theory on the topper is that Stern couldn't do what Bally did in 1978. The KISS logo on the backglass (1978 game) is illuminated in the same way the logo was on the stage. Bally designers and engineers did it with 1970's technology. Stern could not do that, so they created the topper in it's place. The software should be able to handle lighting some LEDs behind the backglass ? THAT topper SHOULD be behind the backglass.

Bally achieved this feat of technology in 1978. Stern are just not smart enough. Applying Stern's logic, they could not work out HOW to do unless buyer paid for the feature installed in a topper.

From something that was posted on FB, we have not seen everything yet
Stern still has some tricks up its sleeve regarding the backvox

The LE star ttrek had Flashing LEDs in the backbox

That's great to hear. Speaking to 5-6 KISS buyers committed or committed, none are buying the "extras" - definitely not the overpriced and dysfunctional "topper". So hopefully Stern will realize that if they wish to remain faithful to the original (which is the entire theme of the game), then they need to utilize a part of the game that was stock standard in 1978, and EASILY transferred to the 2015 version. It would really finish off the game for me. Lets see if they are smart enough to realize the toppers simply won't sell.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #363 on: May 23, 2015, 11:04:53 AM »
Starchild playfield game play video just provided on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/sternpinball/videos/vb.136972659243/10153296734134244/?type=1&theater

Great video. I love the slings in the area. Stern seem to be working on code as this area "advances through the modes". Unfortunately, I had to turn the sound down - I'm looking forward to removing the lame cover versions of the songs with the original. Seems the SPIKE system has already been infiltrated - so this should be a reality soon.

I love whats going on within the playfield area. Artwork is amazing. I like the updates (other than the junk topper) that Stern are providing. Well done !

Offline andypinboy

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #364 on: May 23, 2015, 01:31:56 PM »
When I look at that vid I can't help but just love the colour & design of the p/f. God it's nice. Bumper action is okay, need to see more - hard to tell from just a few times with the ball in the area. I'm leaving the topper/trim discussion to others from here on in but just for the record I won't be adding it or the trim.
I enjoy Porsche, Gibson LPs, Bally-Williams & learning about pinball maintenance & restoration.

Offline Brunswick Brawler

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #365 on: May 23, 2015, 01:40:55 PM »
With several short videos released now, it is 'clear' that Stern's 'clear coat' process been improved with this title.  That gloss looks stunning, especially with the small colour pallet (not to many colours, as per EM days).

...Some irony in that the clear coat looks like newly restored machine.  Pinhead or not, how could anyone on location not play something as shiny nice as this!

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #366 on: May 23, 2015, 08:00:23 PM »
Stern did some great Facebook updates today about the KISS topper saying it has over a dozen different modes other than the slow lighting up of each letter, AND you can buy the topper and plug it in at home, independent of the pinball machines power supply. (I haven't checked the last few pages of the thread so sorry if someone has already mentioned this).

I reckon the topper will look better in person than the videos and will change some people's minds to buy it.
Just like the Walking Dead interactive Stern topper, in person it is just awesome.

The amount of cool mods for this KISS pinball will be amazing.
The cabinet colours, espescially the reds and purples mean u could customise your side rails or legs or lockdown bar with your own powdercoat ing colours and make your machine very personal and unique.
Stern has hit a huge home run with this title. The playfield colours and plastics colours with the Led lighting look awesome. Imagine in person how this Pinny will shine.

So many people on social media are very excited.
I even read the Kiss Army fan clubs are putting up various BNIB Kiss pinnies for various competition prizes in the USA.
Imagine winning a BNIB machine. Bigger than all your Xmas,s at once. Very cool.

Has John Borg become the best pinny designer in the world with the KISS pinny.
I imagine he might be asked to do some special appearances for various media and news stations/radio in the USA.
The attention this title is getting is huge.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline andypinboy

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #367 on: May 24, 2015, 12:03:57 PM »
Must have been Saturday yesty  %$%  Stern has put pics on facebook showing the machines with all the accessories in situ. The topper as a standalone may be okay, but honestly to me it looks silly having a "KISS" topper straight above the "KISS" text on the backboard. I've only got the link - Swinksy hopefully can put up the pics:

https://m.facebook.com/sternpinball?refsrc=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fsternpinball#!/sternpinball/photos/a.10151651185924244.1073741825.136972659243/10153301000294244/?type=1&source=48&refid=17&_ft_=top_level_post_id.10153301000294244&__tn__=E
I enjoy Porsche, Gibson LPs, Bally-Williams & learning about pinball maintenance & restoration.

Offline Freiherr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #368 on: May 24, 2015, 12:11:25 PM »
Must have been Saturday yesty  %$%  Stern has put pics on facebook showing the machines with all the accessories in situ. The topper as a standalone may be okay, but honestly to me it looks silly having a "KISS" topper straight above the "KISS" text on the backboard. I've only got the link - Swinksy hopefully can put up the pics:

https://m.facebook.com/sternpinball?refsrc=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fsternpinball#!/sternpinball/photos/a.10151651185924244.1073741825.136972659243/10153301000294244/?type=1&source=48&refid=17&_ft_=top_level_post_id.10153301000294244&__tn__=E

Totally agree. Stern should put the goods and gee-whiz in the back box effects and make the machine a total killer without the need of fancy ad-ons.
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline andypinboy

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #369 on: May 24, 2015, 12:18:00 PM »
Ok got the pic (if it works). I can see more of these sold standalone than as toppers.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #370 on: May 24, 2015, 12:55:56 PM »
They look horrendous. They would actually devalue the game. Just in case you didn't know the game was a KISS game, you can spend an extra AUS$800 to be reminded. Operators won't buy them, and KISS fans will use one of the thousands of toys to make a much better topper for 1/10th of the price.

Moving on, I will look at modding my game, but I won't be paying Stern for them.

We need more videos to move on from this disaster  #@#

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #371 on: May 24, 2015, 01:26:50 PM »

you are over reacting
you play the playfield, not the topper, not the side armor

it is about the playfield and the backglass (and the music)

KISS is a great machine, Stern have done well

You and gorgar will get a kick out of owning and playing this machine

Offline Pintoxicated

• Forum Posts:
  • Table Top - Albury NSW
« Reply #372 on: May 24, 2015, 01:53:49 PM »
I am sure there will be some better after market topper/s or should I say, more reasonably priced toppers on the market once the machine is out in the wild.

I think Stern mat struggle moving the toppers at that sort of price.  Maybe they would be better off making them a limited edition of 500 or 1000, then I could see them selling a fair few.
Addicted to pins.

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #373 on: May 24, 2015, 04:08:38 PM »

you are over reacting
you play the playfield, not the topper, not the side armor

it is about the playfield and the backglass (and the music)

KISS is a great machine, Stern have done well

You and gorgar will get a kick out of owning and playing this machine

Couldn't agree more Pete :) topper ordered I actually love them and fully reversible-same price as the WD topper :) the shity Perspex toppers are $300 and there not written into the code :)

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #374 on: May 24, 2015, 04:40:26 PM »
Agree with Gorgar and PBPete on this one.

$399 USA is not expensive for the factory Stern topper.
I doubt AMD will charge much for postage when they get them in.

Gorgar is correct, everyone else sells shitty Perspex toppers for the same price and they are not code enhanced or compatible.

I can't undetstand Nino why you don't like it ?
It's KISS in capital letters, the name of the band and the exact same font the band has always used.
Don't be too hasty to make your mind up on this because when it gets here and u see it fully functional, u might change your mind completely. Never say never in pinball.

I can't possibly see what else Stern could have done for a topper except stayed true to the iconic KISS letters and it will please most I would think. Judge it in person I reckon.

Also, you can change the bulbs to any colour u want I believe.
Imagine it any many different colours.
I will buy one for sure.

Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !