Author Topic: Stern KISS Mods  (Read 41211 times)

Offline GORGAR 1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
Re: Stern KISS Mods
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2015, 01:20:31 PM »
Genes very protective over there license! He'll be watching closely :)

Offline skywalker

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2015, 02:13:35 PM »
Is it considered sacrilege to install mirror blades on KISS LE ?

Blades look good, Pete's right they scratch up pretty quickly, Also you have to drill couple of mounting holes, You can put a felt strip along the PF best to do it with the PF removed,
pingraffix.com will most likely release something soon

Offline andypinboy

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2015, 04:13:52 PM »
I think that's still on topic. Always ways around it - eg Gene can't protect the word "kiss" (nobody can) & trademarks do lapse. Never say never - just have to do it right &, if you do get a cease & desist, well get advice before you take it too seriously. He certainly can't stop you doing yr own mods - so go nuts  ^^^
I enjoy Porsche, Gibson LPs, Bally-Williams & learning about pinball maintenance & restoration.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2015, 05:57:01 PM »
I would have thought the Chineese would have been faking KISS merchandise for years, thus keeping Gene Simmonds and Co busy to the hilt with cease and desist etc, if they have bothered because that in itself would have been a fulltime job.

One consideration, every mod made for a Kiss pinny makes the game more desirable and therefore Stern sells more and the band gets their cut $.
So maybe they will leave the small $25 to $100 mods alone.
Plenty of people made small mods for ACDC and no one ever cared.
Maybe Kiss are too busy looking after their other 3,000 licenced items to care about a reviving pinball industry.
Time will tell.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline andypinboy

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2015, 07:26:06 PM »
I think this will be an early mod for most LE owners - in fact I'd have the orange trim ready to put straight on & keep the red nib in case you ever sell it. And if there was ever a machine that mirror blades will suit it's Kiss - imagine that playfield lit & effectively doubled around the edge - I think it's a must have. Is there any way at all to stop these buggers from getting scratched?? Must be some system, padding???

Edit: & does the Stern back-glass chrome trim come off easy enough to put on powder coated trim? Anyone on AP who can mock this up? (it will look awesome).
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 07:29:13 PM by andypinboy »
I enjoy Porsche, Gibson LPs, Bally-Williams & learning about pinball maintenance & restoration.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2015, 08:10:49 PM »
The easiest way to ensure your mirror blades don't get scratched is to fit them after the playfield is down and secure them will thin double sided Velcro.
You can then take them off very easily before lifting the playfield.
Also, not every machine/playfield scratches the mirror blades.
Some machines incl some new machines don't scratch them at all. It's luck of the draw and cabinets being made of wood, not every cabinet is exact or a tight fit.

I had an idea for for a cheap topper mod that I reckon would look great and reflect and look good with playfield lighting and backbox lighting bouncing off it. Chrome checker plate laser cut into the KISS letters.
That stuff is cheap , easy to laser cut but shiny chrome. Might end up being a $80 or $120 topper. Easy to put a few spots or flashers facing it, coloured or white.
Hoping Swinksy does something on his computer like that. If anyone knows how to laser cut and engineer something like that, Swinksy would easily.

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    

Offline GORGAR 1

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2015, 09:36:26 PM »
I put blades on my STLE and once fitted they where that tight I had to force the PF down and I mean push hard and they where f**ked :( never again but maybe I had a tight one lol now that sounds wrong.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2015, 03:50:09 AM »
I read that and laughed hard. Lol

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2015, 09:21:19 AM »
I think that's still on topic. Always ways around it - eg Gene can't protect the word "kiss" (nobody can) & trademarks do lapse. Never say never - just have to do it right &, if you do get a cease & desist, well get advice before you take it too seriously. He certainly can't stop you doing yr own mods - so go nuts  ^^^

Not the word "KISS" - but certainly the logo. Mods - yes, no problem. Try and sell the mods and potentially there could be an issue.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2015, 09:24:42 AM »
I think this will be an early mod for most LE owners - in fact I'd have the orange trim ready to put straight on & keep the red nib in case you ever sell it. And if there was ever a machine that mirror blades will suit it's Kiss - imagine that playfield lit & effectively doubled around the edge - I think it's a must have. Is there any way at all to stop these buggers from getting scratched?? Must be some system, padding???

Edit: & does the Stern back-glass chrome trim come off easy enough to put on powder coated trim? Anyone on AP who can mock this up? (it will look awesome).

The Red trim is simply leftovers from Luci. I much prefer the Orange. I will be removing the red and sending off to the powdercoater's. It is a shame Stern used leftovers and even now, they are not listening to the LE buyers that have asked for Orange and there's even a set of aftermarket rails of Gene's "Ave" bass that looks a million times better than the Stern optional siderails - which look like they are part of a Dinosaur.

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2015, 04:13:35 PM »
Maybe the red will look better in person cause there are a lot of reds on the playfield and plastics set.

Also, when looking at the cabinet from a distance maybe the Orange may be better, but when standing in the playing position maybe the red rails might look better against the playfield.

Orange is a very hard colour to like. I am thinking orange will look very "gawdy" when people try to consider replacing the red ? Time will tell.

Also, very thin velco only works extremely well for the mirror blades if u want them to be very easily removable so u can lift the playfield after removing them which is easy and efficient if placed on with very thin double sided tape or thin Velcro. It's not often u ever have to lift the playfield on a new Stern etc. Some cabinets are just so tight yet others have heaps of room as Swinksy said.

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2015, 08:44:32 PM »
stern kiss mods

https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2015, 10:38:57 PM »
even though I closed the shooter knobs on shapeways a few days ago so they couldn't be purchased for legal reasons, I have been notified to remove all designs so all KISS and other brand related items have been deleted from Shapeways. Sorry
« Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 10:44:28 PM by swinks »
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2015, 08:45:37 AM »
I thought stuff like this would start, so lets see how many mods will appear with logos etc. My guess is none
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2015, 10:39:41 AM »
I thought stuff like this would start, so lets see how many mods will appear with logos etc. My guess is none

Whatever is made public, for sale, with their logo or likeness - will potentially have an issue to deal with. You can make your own mods - for you game. Just don't sell them.