Author Topic: Pinball LOST generation  (Read 602 times)

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
Pinball LOST generation
« on: October 18, 2008, 11:04:05 PM »
Follow up from the afternoon fun.
Mainly adults came but also a 13 yr old and a 6 yr old. The 6 yr old absolutely LOVED the games.

The 13 yr old has never played a pin before, i saw him again today ( he helps out in the shop as a Saturday job). He loved the pins. Bear in mind that my latest fully working pin is 1978 and i have a lot of woodrails etc.
He;s dead keen to know more about them, how do you fix them, could i get one, can i come round again etc etc etc.

Now with pins no longer in many arcades, im wondering why. Here we have a 13yr old on the verge of teenage angst thinking that he has found the coolest thing to play ever. Xbox, PS3?? Wassat then???

Nah - they are dull....

... i havent introduced him to speech, ramps or multiball yet...

its coming

Offline Pinball Fixers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Montrose, VIC
Re: Pinball LOST generation
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2008, 11:30:18 PM »
It's such a shame that many of the kids of today are missing out on pinball... Unfortunately, Redemption is all the rage in the Amusement Centres, so pinball (and even video games) are a dying breed in these places. Redemption (or kiddy gambling as I like to call it) makes the most amount of money by far in the Centres.

About 7 years I worked full time for AMF Bowling as one of their amusement techs in Melbourne. Redemption was already taking hold by then, and pinballs were definitely on the way out. AMF had 8 pinballs in Melbourne between the 12 centres, so I convinced the boss to bring each one back and recondition them. My boss's boss was amazed at how much money the pinballs were making once I had reconditioned them - about 3 times what they were before! But this only amounted to about $200 per week on average per pinball, compared to the $1000+ per week the redemption machines made... I only lasted there 12 months, as I wasn't really repairing machines, just stocking them up.

Then, about 2 years ago, I was asked to come back to AMF on a contract basis - they were in need of a tech who could just come in and do the work without spending the time training someone, but it was also not full time. I agreed, and spent some time back there helping them out (this was on and off for about 18 months, and I was flown to most of the capital cities in Australia and also to New Zealand)... By now, there are no pinballs left at all in the operation, and most of the video games are gone also, except for the driving, riding and shooting games... Redemption is a very easy way to make money, and the machines are much easier to repair than any pinball! Which means that the techs are no longer techs... they are glorified couriers! They do repair problems here and there, but most of the work is stocking up the machines and the prize cabinets...

With this being the way of the future for Amusement Centres, pinballs really have no place. I think it is a great loss to the youth of today, but business is business... At least pinballs are ending up in peoples homes for everyone to play and enjoy, so there will continue to be a following, but not like it was once upon a time...

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 12:12:57 AM »

How quickly my nieces and nephews forget there X-Box, PS2 / 3, Wii etc when they can play the pinballs..

My machines cop an absolute belting when the kids come over !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 01:30:16 AM »
I'm the same, I love it when my little girls play, and when my three nephews come over and go from game to game but keep fighting for Attack from Mars. I love this video of my girls - they were 4 and 3 back then....

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=MOXisuAVZ28
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Pinball Fixers

• Forum Posts:
  • Montrose, VIC
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 01:57:42 AM »
Nice one Nick!!! I love how your younger daughter gets pissed off with the Big Bang Bar!... :lol

She's definitely a pinball player!!!

I've never seen a Big Bang Bar or played one, so I gotta come over one of these days... or maybe to Greg's place... whoever gets in first :lol

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2008, 08:10:46 AM »
You are  %)% any time Owen! Give me a call when you are next heading south for something, or just to play!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2008, 10:53:21 AM »

Reminds me of a story - Years ago, I started to set up an arcade type shop with EMs and SS machines 1971-79 - just the classics - no DMDs. So I started restoring the games, and showing people my work...So I had a row setup - about 7 pins, and I had about another 15 to go - so I was a year off even thinking about an "opening date". But word got around, and people wanted to see the games and play them... Worst mistake I could have made !!!!  SIX of them were sold within 2 weeks...

The "public arcade" idea would be difficult to achieve, because pinheads want to bring the arcade into their own homes. Whilst in the homes, kids get to see them and play them. From my observations, the console games take the attention away from the pinballs when a new console game arrives... Kid gets bored with it (worked it out - finished all the levels), and goes back to the pinballs... Harder to master !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Pinball Fixers

• Forum Posts:
  • Montrose, VIC
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2008, 02:58:35 PM »
You are  %)% any time Owen! Give me a call when you are next heading south for something, or just to play!

Done! One of these days when I'm not actually working and have some spare time, I will be calling in... might have to wait until next year tho...  %$%

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2008, 04:27:32 PM »
Well that means you'll get to play Coconut Island too, which will be finished shortly... in fact, here's a super low res photo of the insert placement - better quality one will be posted later (this came by text message this arvo)

Offline Pinball Fixers

• Forum Posts:
  • Montrose, VIC
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2008, 04:51:52 PM »
Well that means you'll get to play Coconut Island too, which will be finished shortly... in fact, here's a super low res photo of the insert placement - better quality one will be posted later (this came by text message this arvo)

Wow... looking good! You and Nuggy are definitely moving along nicely with Coconut Island. I can't wait to play it and the BBB. Hmmm, maybe I'll just have to rearrange some jobs I'm doing so I can come over sooner rather than later <.>