Author Topic: Stern Thincoat - Dimples & Craters  (Read 32364 times)

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Re: Stern Thincoat - Dimples & Craters
« Reply #150 on: July 18, 2015, 12:16:28 AM »
Every pinball machine that has ever had a flyball will have dimples. KISS will have dimples. The real question is - How can we minimize this effect ?

Improving the clearcoat product and process. %$%

I only have one Stern, an Elvis which is over ten years old. I haven't checked the audits to see the number of plays, but there are no dimples at all, had a good look at it at the office today.  Clearly something has changed, and needs to be addressed.

It will be interesting to see where Stern goes now that we know Stern is aware of this thread.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Brunswick Brawler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #151 on: July 24, 2015, 08:53:26 PM »
Just played a KISS pro on location (John Curtain Hotel, Carlton VIC).

The machine has been there just over one week.  It is heavily dimpled, and the clear coat has a 'wavy' look to it in parts.  Certainly no extra thick clearcoat.  Looks like the normal clearcoat process.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #152 on: July 28, 2015, 10:25:36 PM »
I just wanted to add an update to this thread. Stern have taken on board my findings, and the opinions of those that have seen this game. I'm very pleased to advise that Stern are helping out in the short term and also they are focused on the long term durability of the clearcoat process. I'll update the thread when I can -as there are some hoops to go through - but I want to thank Joe from Kids Just Wanna Have Fun who has been immensely helpful to this point in time.

Suffice to say, this is not being brushed under the carpet. Quite the opposite  *%*
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Slash

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #153 on: July 29, 2015, 12:33:22 AM »
That's good to hear they are listening. Hopefully they can follow through long term and make some changes to address it.

Offline Brunswick Brawler

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #154 on: July 29, 2015, 09:56:21 PM »
Anyone can get the production wrong.  The test of a good company is how they deal with the issue.

I just wanted to add an update to this thread. Stern have taken on board my findings, and the opinions of those that have seen this game. I'm very pleased to advise that Stern are helping out in the short term and also they are focused on the long term durability of the clearcoat process. I'll update the thread when I can -as there are some hoops to go through - but I want to thank Joe from Kids Just Wanna Have Fun who has been immensely helpful to this point in time.

Suffice to say, this is not being brushed under the carpet. Quite the opposite  *%*

...I'm pleased to hear that Stern responded exactly as I expect the leading pinball company to respond.  ^^^

I'm looking forward to a 'shiny' future for Stern pinball machines!  (geek humour again !^!)

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #155 on: September 11, 2015, 07:32:26 PM »
I think this game needed a thicker clearcoat

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #156 on: September 11, 2015, 07:41:17 PM »
Looks like someone cleaned it with a harsh solevant.
I have seen spray n wipe ruin a playfield in the hands of a new pin u owner.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline MrMaloo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Cessnock NSW
« Reply #157 on: September 11, 2015, 08:07:54 PM »
The dimples that people have been experiencing ( including some minor dimpling on my own pins ) have absolutely nothing to do with the thickness / hardness etc. of the clearcoat .

I recently pulled my Metallica apart for a clean and re-rubber . During that process I removed the magnet cores from both the Grave Marker area and Sparky . The tops of these magnet cores were both dimpled in exactly the same pattern as the playfields can be . I since machined them off nice and flat ready for re-install .

If the problem was something to do with the thickness / hardness / cure time of the clear coat , or even the softness of the plywood used for the playfield , then how would you explain the exact problem occurring on top of a metal magnet core which is not covered by clear coat and is made of steel .

I do have some photos but they are on the camera at work . I'll upload them once I get them .

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #158 on: September 11, 2015, 08:25:01 PM »
I think this game needed a thicker clearcoat

Must have been sited at Time Zone Gold Coast.  :lol 12,000 game audits per week and counting!

Stern's new improved clearcoat will be a sure fire winner, though. How can you complain about playfield wear if you can't see the playfield.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2015, 08:28:49 PM by pinsanity »

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #159 on: September 11, 2015, 09:01:01 PM »

In conjunction with HRP, we have put forward a suggested solution with Stern (at THE highest level). This is based on factual evidence we have gathered and also learning from Stern their current methods of playfield protection.

As part of any findings, there is no point in informing stern of the issues unless you have a constructive suggestion to assist in improving the process. I can say Stern have listened to what we have put forward and the ball is in their court. We hope to work with their R&D staff in the near future to share knowledge and provide a practical alternative.

We are encouraged by the willingness to improve this area of their production process.

This was never the case of whinging about the playfields and then being ignored. The people I recently spoke to are the decision makers, who were more than just interested to hear an opinion. Hopefully, the next post to the story will be more "meat and potatoes". Suffice to say - Stern ARE listening.

Offline MrMaloo

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Cessnock NSW
« Reply #160 on: September 15, 2015, 09:35:07 PM »
As promised here are the photos of the magnet cores from my Metallica . You can see that the same dimpling is evident on top of the steel cores . If anyone thinks that the dimpling is caused by soft / inferior clearcoat thickness or quality , or the quality of the playfield timber then how would you explain the same dimpling on top of these steel posts .

No amount or quality of clearcoat is ever going to be harder than a STEEL post ..  !@#

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #161 on: September 19, 2015, 10:20:51 PM »
Maybe stern need to use softer balls  !@# . The magnet core is quite soft in the scheme of things all metal. I machined some flat with ease, not stainless steel etc
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #162 on: November 13, 2015, 10:40:05 AM »
Three months down the track and Stern have no interest in taking onboard our findings. Seems they are happy with outsourcing their playfields using wafer thin 15 year old technology.

My personal KISS LE and a KISS / TWD PRO have minimal issues compared to TWD LE - which is a complete disaster. The manufacturing process needs a serious review - which will never happen.

Offline beaky

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Vic
« Reply #163 on: November 17, 2015, 12:57:01 PM »
a soft metal has to be used on the magnet centers, if a hard metal is used then it will become permanently magnetized 
On site pinball repairs in MELBOURNE NTH SUBURBS  : Circuit board repairs and refurbishing Australia wide (via Aust post)

Offline DSB

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
    • OMNI Electrical & Data
« Reply #164 on: November 17, 2015, 10:24:17 PM »
a soft metal has to be used on the magnet centers, if a hard metal is used then it will become permanently magnetized 

I agree!