Author Topic: Stern Thincoat - Dimples & Craters  (Read 32761 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Stern Thincoat - Dimples & Craters
« Reply #195 on: August 01, 2016, 09:58:22 AM »
Apparently the latest is that lots of people around the world are having issues with GB and SMVE with cracking around inserts, inserts dropping & rising, crazing and insert ghosting (similar to MMr) so who ever is making their playfields are getting worst. I to a local who has a GB Pro who said his mate who has a GBLE has ghosting, cracking around his inserts and a few inserts have dropped down lower than the playfield.

Although I think Stern would never admit it - This thread, and a number of other threads on forums, definitely changed "something" at Stern with regards to playfield production and QA. Nearly ALL the New Sterns post KISS have had brilliant clear coats. Something has changed.

I have not seen the ghosting and cracking inserts etc. Would love to see pictures. My KISS LE is flawless.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Cow Corner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline KBRI1700

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane

Offline RPZ

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #200 on: August 05, 2016, 09:30:09 PM »
To be honest hasn't stopped me playing. I've had major fun on people's games that are missing artwork, flippers not at optimum strength, backglasses that are missing. But then again, I don't take the glass off at the end of every game to clean it and look at the damage I have caused. I broke a plastic once on my T2 and its still in my collection....what must I be thinking????
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #201 on: August 05, 2016, 11:47:00 PM »
As long as the buyer is ok with these potential issues straight out of the box,by all means go right ahead and drop the coin.
 ^^^

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #202 on: August 06, 2016, 08:28:26 PM »
https://www.facebook.com/wheresthecode/?fref=nf

if playfields are ghosting within a few days what will the playfield look like in 6 months time
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 08:32:05 PM by swinks »
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Goingpinsane

• Forum Posts:
  • Wa
« Reply #203 on: August 06, 2016, 10:24:49 PM »

if playfields are ghosting within a few days what will the playfield look like in 6 months time
Maybe if it is looked at another way. Take away the fact that it's a pinball with heavy metal balls flying around which they are supposed to be built to do.
If you bought a tv and the corner of the screen started to get blurry after a couple of days, would you be taking it back to the supplier? Or would you leave it as 95% of the screen is still working correctly. Or if you bought a brand new car and the paint started blistering. I'm sure most people would be taking it back.
If I had parted with my hard earned and this started happening  I'd like something done about it.

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #204 on: August 06, 2016, 10:39:25 PM »

Maybe if it is looked at another way. Take away the fact that it's a pinball with heavy metal balls flying around which they are supposed to be built to do.
If you bought a tv and the corner of the screen started to get blurry after a couple of days, would you be taking it back to the supplier? Or would you leave it as 95% of the screen is still working correctly. Or if you bought a brand new car and the paint started blistering. I'm sure most people would be taking it back.
If I had parted with my hard earned and this started happening  I'd like something done about it.

Well put..

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #205 on: August 06, 2016, 10:59:31 PM »

!@# totally agree with you, that's why I posted a picture and one of the reasons I cancelled my order

for pinball t-shirts

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #206 on: August 06, 2016, 11:59:30 PM »
Now lets hear from those that have parted with their 'hard earned' and see what they have done about it. I've done nothing. Maybe others can spur me along to do something. Has a vcat app been lodged? What's amd's response? Has stern been sent a letter? Patiently awaiting responses so I can maybe piggy back on the class action???

I've always found it difficult to get groups together, maybe here is my chance for a petition or something. Thanks
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 12:01:28 AM by pinball god »

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #207 on: August 07, 2016, 07:22:04 AM »
I have heard that the the latest GoT, SMVE and GB's are made in house ??? not sure but apparently the insert pockets have been routed slightly too deep so with play the inserts drop down and separate around the edge near the playfield timber edge. I suppose in time this area will crack and break out. Ideally the insert pockets should be routed just a hair thickness shallower than the insert thickness so once installed so the insert is hard up against a timber edge with glue locking in place and then the playfield is sanded flat knocking the tops off the inserts.

How can the insert holes be routed incorrect:
- programmed too deep
- inserts changed in thickness
- playfield ply not held down (vacuum) properly, allowing the board to rise and be routed deeper
- ply is varying in thickness
- tool depth not set correctly (not sensor checked regularly)
- doubt the ply is too green as it would shrink fractionally creating insert edge cracking not ghosting.

Ideally the ply should be vacuum held down on a good and level waste board with the spindle, tool and vacuum pickup set as a maximum depth cut controlling the depth cut.

A US guy got this fair so reckon anyone with issues send the below details to the distributor and then send the same info to Stern.

"I called Stern regarding ghosting on my SMVE and spoke to tech support.
He indicated that ghosting is a known issue on some current run games. I was told management, engineers and suppliers are investigating the issue. I was asked to send an email and I would be included in a list of reported machines.
The solution/resolution to the issue is to be determined.
The requested information was: game model, serial number, manufacturing date, purchase date, distributor name and a de******ion of the issue and with supporting pictures.
I received an email acknowledging the receipt of the information.
The email I was given to send the information was: parts.service@sternpinball.com
"

If anyone has a problem make sure to tell them especially due to the money that was spent by lots of people and if people don't they will keep going as is and ignore people but if just a playfield costs them $300USD plus postage to people they are probably up to 500 playfields = a lot of dollars to correct the issue, and the other downside also that if they do send out a playfield who knows if it is any better as you might chose to store it and by the time you use it, it could have the same issues.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 07:27:06 AM by swinks »

for pinball t-shirts

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #208 on: August 07, 2016, 07:54:25 AM »
Boycott any NIB Stern until they fix this problem!

^^^

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #209 on: August 07, 2016, 09:34:14 AM »
I have heard that the the latest GoT, SMVE and GB's are made in house ??? not sure but apparently the insert pockets have been routed slightly too deep so with play the inserts drop down and separate around the edge near the playfield timber edge. I suppose in time this area will crack and break out. Ideally the insert pockets should be routed just a hair thickness shallower than the insert thickness so once installed so the insert is hard up against a timber edge with glue locking in place and then the playfield is sanded flat knocking the tops off the inserts.

How can the insert holes be routed incorrect:
- programmed too deep
- inserts changed in thickness
- playfield ply not held down (vacuum) properly, allowing the board to rise and be routed deeper
- ply is varying in thickness
- tool depth not set correctly (not sensor checked regularly)
- doubt the ply is too green as it would shrink fractionally creating insert edge cracking not ghosting.

Ideally the ply should be vacuum held down on a good and level waste board with the spindle, tool and vacuum pickup set as a maximum depth cut controlling the depth cut.

A US guy got this fair so reckon anyone with issues send the below details to the distributor and then send the same info to Stern.

"I called Stern regarding ghosting on my SMVE and spoke to tech support.
He indicated that ghosting is a known issue on some current run games. I was told management, engineers and suppliers are investigating the issue. I was asked to send an email and I would be included in a list of reported machines.
The solution/resolution to the issue is to be determined.
The requested information was: game model, serial number, manufacturing date, purchase date, distributor name and a de******ion of the issue and with supporting pictures.
I received an email acknowledging the receipt of the information.
The email I was given to send the information was: parts.service@sternpinball.com
"

If anyone has a problem make sure to tell them especially due to the money that was spent by lots of people and if people don't they will keep going as is and ignore people but if just a playfield costs them $300USD plus postage to people they are probably up to 500 playfields = a lot of dollars to correct the issue, and the other downside also that if they do send out a playfield who knows if it is any better as you might chose to store it and by the time you use it, it could have the same issues.
excellent, does this person have a name and contact details I can have or do I just quote his avatar?

Btw I thought inserts are installed a little proud of the surface and then sanded level on a machine not too dissimilar to ones that make table tops 'perfectly' flat??? I could be wrong, so someone in the know could explain the process. Or is Stern just pushing the inserts in by finger and then slapping on a cc? Thanks and good to see action taken???
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 09:37:04 AM by pinball god »