Author Topic: Time to upgrade my home theater  (Read 3807 times)

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
Re:
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2015, 09:22:07 PM »
 Internet streaming on demand is the future...

^This.

Forget about spending extra money on Blu Ray/DVD combos. They are already on the brink of being yesterday's tech.

Just buy a TV and sound system combo (9.1 preferable but depending on room dimensions/acoustics 7.1 should suffice) and spend the money saved to up the grade of the TV size/brand or on a quality wireless router instead to handle full HD streaming.

Then sign up to one of the streaming services - Netflix preferred.

Offline McKie1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Time to upgrade my home theater
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2015, 10:04:56 PM »
Then add the issues of the variety of aspect ratios, constant image height and anamorphic lenses.

Video processors and the like.

As others have said buy to enjoy and keep within your budget. Go with what you hear and see and like :)

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2015, 04:47:38 PM »
The world of home cinema can be more involved than putting a man on mars. First off check out your room. If its not the right shape, acoustically perfect, your search for perfection is a waste of time and that is the position most of us are in. So choose the size/picture quality you're after and buy that gear and then find the size and quality sound system you'd like and can afford. Try to keep as much of the sound from the same manufacturer and proportional in size/output. You should be ok.

Getting into the science of home cinema will do your head in and your wallet and you'll end up chasing ghosts. I have 11.2 capability and there aint nothing to utilize it and by the time it does my system will be obsolete. I reckon my extra speakers do make a difference like I might hear a bird tweet through my front highs and thats it for the movie but can't be sure. So its probably wank factor. 7.1 is all you need at most in my opinion unless you like tinkering like me.   
Does having two subwoffers make a difference?

I will prorbably go for a 9.1 system
later in the year get new main speakers and use my current main ones for the rear

Thanks

Offline 4_amusement_only

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2015, 06:11:53 PM »
They would if you have an acoustically sealed, proportionally correct room to warrant the improvement two woofers would make.

Most people wouldn't be close to this so I wouldn't bother. Just have one decent one.

The listening space a speaker is placed in can make a $1000 sub sound like a $50 sub in an acoustically poor room.

Offline Wiked

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2015, 06:32:45 PM »

later in the year get new main speakers and use my current main ones for the rear

Thanks
2 Subs are definitely better than 1 but as has been said it depends on your room and what treatments you do etc. If you are just settings this up in a 'normal' room like a lounge then 1 is more than enough.

You probably know this but when you get new speakers (and you are going to use your existing ones for the rear) make sure you 'sonically' match them.  

Last year I built a dedicated theatre room in my house and there is so much to think about. www.avsforum.com/forum/ a great site for ideas and people are willing to give you some great advice.

The only thing I would say is don't buy a UHD (4K) TV yet. There is a new colour space hopefully being introduced later in the year called REC2020 (replacing the current REC709) and from all reports it's night and day difference.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 06:34:44 PM by Wiked »

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2015, 10:07:18 PM »

Thanks
2 Subs are definitely better than 1 but as has been said it depends on your room and what treatments you do etc. If you are just settings this up in a 'normal' room like a lounge then 1 is more than enough.

You probably know this but when you get new speakers (and you are going to use your existing ones for the rear) make sure you 'sonically' match them.  

Last year I built a dedicated theatre room in my house and there is so much to think about. www.avsforum.com/forum/ a great site for ideas and people are willing to give you some great advice.

The only thing I would say is don't buy a UHD (4K) TV yet. There is a new colour space hopefully being introduced later in the year called REC2020 (replacing the current REC709) and from all reports it's night and day difference.
no disrespect at all and you are probably 1000 times more savvy than me, but there's always a night and day innovation hours away. How long do you wait? I generally bite the bullet when I think I'm in need for the upgrade and cashed up
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2015, 01:13:38 AM »
The technology on any Smart LED LCD allows for wireless connectivity to multiple devices and has done for years.

You can spend between $500 and $750 on the LG Surround Sound systems I mentioned earlier and you will be more than happy. Being in my lounge room or my bedroom is better than going to the movies audio wise.
The latest Surround Sound systems are awesome and clear and loud at a very affordable price.
Anything over and above that is overkill and perhaps a waste of money.

Search online with well known Japaneese or Korean brands and you will find some awesome systems for very reasonable money. The stuff now is crystal clear both in audio and TV visual quality.

Waiting for the "new" stuff will cost a lot more money for perhaps small gains.
Go into some big retailers and test the stuff on display.

Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Wiked

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
Re:
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2015, 01:52:25 PM »
Peter if you are near Audio Trends in Melbourne then go and meet Mark and see what they have etc. He is a great guy and they now have a great Atmos demo room.

There are some well priced receivers on the market and depends on what specs you require and your budget etc.
If spending up around $3000 you will get a nice model for sure. Since you mentioned Atmos then i assume you are willing to spend at least that on it etc.
Of course if you are going to be driving cheap speakers with it then go for the cheapest you can find with the HDMI ports and speaker outputs you require. No use feeding strawberries to pigs as they say.

Offline flippnaussie

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2015, 01:51:46 PM »

[/quote]no disrespect at all and you are probably 1000 times more savvy than me, but there's always a night and day innovation hours away. How long do you wait? I generally bite the bullet when I think I'm in need for the upgrade and cashed up
[/quote]

I always tend to wait until the second generation of latest tech when the price is much lower than the initial first wave of products. The manufacturers have then built better chipsets etc... and ironed out all of the bugs.

Simon.

Offline Wiked

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2015, 06:52:22 PM »
I also generally wait for second generation equipment at least too. It all depends on what it is of course.

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2015, 07:58:54 PM »
I hear plasma is good  %$%