Author Topic: Gold coast Timezone Stern games thread  (Read 3741 times)

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
Gold coast Timezone Stern games thread
« on: June 16, 2015, 08:37:47 PM »
Any game that is played 16 hrs a day, seven days a week is going to get wear sooner or later.

Having said that, I have never seen a Stern machine at TimeZone Surfers with any Playfield wear even though some have been there for 2 or more years getting tortured daily.

That is a real life testament to Sterns quality playfields.
And these games are the most tortured on earth.
They probably change the factory settings to make multiball harder to get so you play shorter games and spend more money as well as perhaps saving some playfield wear ?

The games at TimeZone show that any game purchased for home use will never wear out.
If the commercially used games at Timezone don't show wear after years of torture, the belief that Sterns clearcoat isn't thick enough is a myth to me.
Timezone Surfers with over 6 years of Stern games sited with no wear on any of the ones I have seen and played is proof enough for me. Will have to see how the KISS machines hold up. If all the others are wear free, Kiss shld be just as durable.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 08:43:37 PM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 09:59:43 PM »
How many games you reckon are played in the 16 hours a day? Would it be close to the hay day of pinball?  !@# I recall during a school holiday period not being run over by players to get off an acdc at a local arcade. I didn't see any coins on the glass waiting for me to get off, so I am having trouble getting a little perspective on this
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 10:02:16 PM by pinball god »
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 11:15:11 PM »
How many games you reckon are played in the 16 hours a day? Would it be close to the hay day of pinball?  !@# I recall during a school holiday period not being run over by players to get off an acdc at a local arcade. I didn't see any coins on the glass waiting for me to get off, so I am having trouble getting a little perspective on this

Machines would be turned on 16hrs a day for 7 days a week no doubt if that's the opening hours. But played continuously for that duration?
.. Be taking that statement with a very large pinch of salt

Offline andypinboy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 11:29:43 PM »

Machines would be turned on 16hrs a day for 7 days a week no doubt if that's the opening hours. But played continuously for that duration?

Continuous play? Be lucky to be an hour a day on average wouldn't it? LEDs must be great for the operators - imagine the GI heat & energy difference running the Bally/ Williams back in the 90's.
I enjoy Porsche, Gibson LPs, Bally-Williams & learning about pinball maintenance & restoration.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 12:05:31 AM »
Games will be switched on for 16 hours - put played for a fraction of that time. We are not in the 70's any longer. I've seen AC/DC machines offered in container lists that have playfield wear. Fairly common. Especially the Pros that have seen a lot of play. but I've seen ST TNG in the same list that are 20 years older and they have almost no wear. Dull playfields, but not worn to wood. Most Family Guys have wear in the same areas. This is normal for a game that has been played. Would have been a great earner back in the day. But games that have been played for 20 years longer, may not have the same wear. There's definitely a difference in quality across the different games. I've seen a TWD Pro that has an excellent playfield and it has clocked over 1000 games. Looks NOTHING like the TWE LE that I have.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 01:02:33 AM »
I didn't literally mean played every minute of every hour for 16 hrs but it was a quick post and I should have checked the wording knowing some critics might pounce. Lol

I should have said turned on 16 hrs a day and probably played a good 4 to 8 hrs.
I was driving and typing and should have checked the wording a little better.

The point being the machines at Timezone are played more than any other sited pins in the country I believe.
I regularly take my son to TZone and it's rare to see any pinball not being played constantly in quiet or busy times.
The amount of younger people, incl a lot of girls playing pins is refreshing to see these days.

Still never seen a modern Stern with playfield wear.
These machines are pretty tuff.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2015, 05:25:34 AM »

Remember that TZGC have an ACDC clocking up 12,000 games on it per week.  :D

« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 05:39:27 AM by pinsanity »

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2015, 07:23:30 AM »
I didn't literally mean played every minute of every hour for 16 hrs but it was a quick post and I should have checked the wording knowing some critics might pounce. Lol

I should have said turned on 16 hrs a day and probably played a good 4 to 8 hrs.
I was driving and typing and should have checked the wording a little better.

The point being the machines at Timezone are played more than any other sited pins in the country I believe.
I regularly take my son to TZone and it's rare to see any pinball not being played constantly in quiet or busy times.
The amount of younger people, incl a lot of girls playing pins is refreshing to see these days.

Still never seen a modern Stern with playfield wear.
These machines are pretty tuff.

No need to check the wording... not exaggerating is enough.

Don't drive and use your phone.. its illegal because you have a high chance of having an accident and hurting innocent people

Offline andypinboy

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
Re: Gold coast Timezone Stern games thread
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2015, 11:56:18 AM »
 !!! ignore doesn't hide the quotes  !!!

"I regularly take my son to TZone and it's rare to see any pinball not being played constantly in quiet or busy times."

:lol
I enjoy Porsche, Gibson LPs, Bally-Williams & learning about pinball maintenance & restoration.

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2015, 03:39:56 PM »
I'd like a holiday on the gold coast

Offline DSB

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
    • OMNI Electrical & Data
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2015, 06:03:00 PM »
I spend quite a lot of time working near these machines during the week on and off.
What I have seen is the machines are indeed at idol for long periods through the day on a weekday.
I see the odd guy or guys who are obviously pinheads and play 3 or 4 game on every machine but mainly its a passing family or couple that just have 1 game on one machine then move on and a funny enough a lot of the time leave a credit on the machine from the match without even realising it. My guess would be an average of 1 game per half hour for each machine during a weekday.

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2015, 07:00:00 PM »
Thanks for the accurate report, DSB.

In reality the situation you describe sounds like many other amusement centres across the country which currently have pinball machines in direct competition for your dollar with other arcade machines and particularly redemption machines.

The occasional pinhead who gives the machines a long overdue workout or the family with kids in tow who see it primarily as a novelty and then quickly move on to something else.

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2015, 07:26:45 PM »
If this is the case who is making up stuff? What gets me is if either is stretching the truth, what is in it for them, is Cavey being paid to promote stern or has  dsb got a vendetta against stern? I'm confused  !@#

Why......why is it so????
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Freiherr

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2015, 07:40:20 PM »
We have yet to see the likes of the 1975-1981 pinball era. I doubt if we ever will.
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline Retropin

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2015, 07:43:51 PM »
If this is the case who is making up stuff? What gets me is if either is stretching the truth, what is in it for them, is Cavey being paid to promote stern or has  dsb got a vendetta against stern? I'm confused  !@#

Why......why is it so????

The case has always been a certain member posting as fact what they WANT the story to be instead of what it actually is...
Who is it we wonder???

...Answers on a postcard please..