Author Topic: A DMD joins the EM'S . My Latest Pin a Lethal Weapon 3.  (Read 1223 times)

Offline jyebow

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Maitland, NSW
  • GTB Pioneer, Bally Hi-Lo Ace, WMS Space Shuttle,
A DMD joins the EM'S . My Latest Pin a Lethal Weapon 3.
« on: April 30, 2009, 09:23:22 AM »
About four weeks ago I got a text from one of my mates who knew a guy who was moving house and was thinking about selling his only pin, a Data East Lethal Weapon 3.
 I wasn’t really chasing a DMD, but being a fan of the three Lethal Weapon movies and at the price he was asking, it was too good an offer not to take a look. (The Newcastle guy’s on the forum, I’m sure would agree, that there isn’t too many pins that come on offer up this way, especially at a reasonable price.)
So I rang the owner and was told it plays well but needs a few globes replaced.
Well the machine was indeed playable but it needed new rubbers, 3 new balls & none of the lights worked at all, it also was missing a drop target and was filthy dirty.
 The main fuse for the lights was blown so we replaced it and it blew instantly, I asked the guy if I could borrow the manual for the game and have a think about it and call him later.
  During the week I checked out the games manual and had a good read of Clays guides which suggested that Data East games used cheaply made pcb fuse clips during manufacture and that they had a problem with them losing their tension over time, as well as problems with burnt GI connectors and the corresponding pins on the pcb having dry joints or even unsoldering themselves from the boards due to the heat.
  I rang the seller and we agreed on an even better price and the deal was done. Pinball number Four was on its way to the shed.
 I placed another order with Greg at RTBB for new rubbers, new balls & a drop target and picked up some connectors and fuse clips at Jaycar.
Three of the fuse clips on the power supply board had no tension at all, one even snapped of when I touched it, so these were replaced. Two of the GI connectors were burnt with a pin even pulling out of the board with the connector when it was unplugged, these were both replaced and then I gave the machine a good clean and installed the new rubbers and its been playing fine for the last few weeks.
 The only issue left to sort out is a hum through the speakers, it’s only really noticeable when in attract mode. While you play  you can’t hear the hum over the ZZ Top soundtrack, the explosions, the sirens, the bullets firing & bloody Leo Getz saying OK, OK, OK.
 It’s alot different to my three other pins, they’ve got the chimes ringing, score reels clicking, motors turning, but my kids and I like it and my best mate loves it, so I guess it’s going to be a keeper.
Steve
PS: I’ve just been playing it again for the last hour or so and it’s definitely a keeper. Here is some pics.

GTB Pioneer, Bally Hi-Lo Ace, WMS Space Shuttle, Data East Lethal Weapon 3

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
Looks like a nice game Steve . Cleaned up very well and sounds like it was a fairly easy fix . Certainly a giant leap in Era's you've taken there .  *%*

Hopefully one day I will get a call or text to put me onto a lead like that .

Enjoy your new toy.

Cheers
Dave
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline illawarra_steelers

• Read-Only
  • Forum Posts:
  • Illawarra, NSW
Bloody hell - have you still got that  :lol :lol

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast

Nice game Steve, and great to see you repairing the game and having it looking that good !
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline jyebow

• Forum Posts:
  • Maitland, NSW
  • GTB Pioneer, Bally Hi-Lo Ace, WMS Space Shuttle,
Bloody hell - have you still got that  :lol :lol
Yeah Tony , I've still got it.
Although it thinks it's an EM  :lol
GTB Pioneer, Bally Hi-Lo Ace, WMS Space Shuttle, Data East Lethal Weapon 3

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Thats cool but you should help it out and print up some Mecanical scores and stick them on the backglass might even get tony off your back for 5 mins lol