Author Topic: Peoples opinion on Pitch and bat games etc. are they counted as pinballs  (Read 841 times)

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Hey Guys just adding some new manuals to the collection so far they are broken up into

EM pinball
BINGOs
EM ARCADE
And
SS - DMD

I'm unsure if I should include my
1955 king of swat or
1957 Williams Ten strike

To EM pinball as they are in my lineup with the pins and look similar to pins or to EM arcade?

Thoughts?

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
I say ABSOLUTELY!
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
No, they are not pinball

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
No, they are not pinball

Agreed.

Doesn't really matter though, they're still fun what every you want to call them.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria

Pinball derives its name from a game where the player shot a ball which was deflected by "pins" etc - "pin"-"ball". The only control was nudging/tilting.

By today's definition (which many would accept as includes flippers to control the ball), all pre-Humpty Dumpty games are not pinball, but only if the definition of pinball is used to only include games with flippers and specifically excludes any other non-flipper table.

So depends on what you consider the definition of "pinball" - its traditional or current meaning.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline andypinboy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW
I'd say Nick's a lawyer. I'd file under "F" for fun. If you don't want to open a new "F" file then to me they seem overall more arcade than pinball.
I enjoy Porsche, Gibson LPs, Bally-Williams & learning about pinball maintenance & restoration.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
I'd say Nick's a lawyer. I'd file under "F" for fun. If you don't want to open a new "F" file then to me they seem overall more arcade than pinball.

Who's the lawyer now - you want to open a whole new "F" category!  %.%
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Bowlers, Pitch and Bat etc are EM Arcade games.

Bingos are more "pinball" than arcade.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
Yep..
EM arcade but a whole lot more fun than they look. LOVE pitch and bat games but sadly don't own one

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Ok well i think it settled EM arcade section it is. 

Thanks for your input everyone

Offline Brunswick Brawler

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Australia
I'd say none of your games are pinball.  Pinball games games were made in the 1930s.  Once tried explaining to my European cousin that I had a pinball machine.  He didn't know what I was talking about until he realised that in his language they are called 'flippers'.  The Europeans have it correct: Pinball games have pins to divert the ball as it roles down the game.  Flipper games have flippers to hit the ball up the play field.

So the European answer is you games are flipper games.  You have flippers and no pins. !^!

...But I'd say the world outside Europe would call your games EM Arcade.

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
I'd say none of your games are pinball.  Pinball games games were made in the 1930s.  Once tried explaining to my European cousin that I had a pinball machine.  He didn't know what I was talking about until he realised that in his language they are called 'flippers'.  The Europeans have it correct: Pinball games have pins to divert the ball as it roles down the game.  Flipper games have flippers to hit the ball up the play field.

So the European answer is you games are flipper games.  You have flippers and no pins. !^!

...But I'd say the world outside Europe would call your games EM Arcade.

Not all my games I do have a few Pinball machines ;)

Offline ddstoys

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong

Offline oldskool1969

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
me like very much!  ^^^
If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.