Author Topic: Welcome to the Big City, Kid!  (Read 23828 times)

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Re: Welcome to the Big City, Kid!
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2015, 11:16:59 PM »
Amazing Nick. Kingpin is my all time favourite pinball. Hoping it gets remade one day. Watching that video brought back memories of playing one in the states a few years ago.

You're lucky to have played one Tony I doubt I'll get tha the chance unless it does get remade.

I have mapped out the lamp wiring bur there are a few hurdles. Routing for inserts is outside my skill set, although Eltimbo has given me  contact for this if I do go down that path. I have started the harness and Daniel has provided me with the lamp holders so it is feasible.  One really funky effect is the start of multiball "RAID" when the white GI turns red - you can see when during the start of multiball in the video when the lamps in the backbox go out - sould be great to see.

Did you see that when you played Tony?
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline tonyt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2015, 11:27:35 PM »

[/quote]

You're lucky to have played one Tony I doubt I'll get tha the chance unless it does get remade.

I have mapped out the lamp wiring bur there are a few hurdles. Routing for inserts is outside my skill set, although Eltimbo has given me  contact for this if I do go down that path. I have started the harness and Daniel has provided me with the lamp holders so it is feasible.  One really funky effect is the start of multiball "RAID" when the white GI turns red - you can see when during the start of multiball in the video when the lamps in the backbox go out - sould be great to see.

Did you see that when you played Tony?
[/quote]

I don't recall starting raid multiball Nick but will watch the video wotto took of me playing it. The standouts to me were the criss cross ramps and the dots and sounds which you incorporate in your whitewood. The other two things that I really liked were the ball lock for the hide out and when the flippers became weaker and weaker as your life bar dropped until they died.

Well done again, massive effort and result.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2015, 11:42:46 PM »
 I have the ball lock working really well - bit hard to see the ramp opening and closing unless you look carefully.

The video is only of ball one so the weakening flippers aren't shown but do work perfectly.

I did have one amazing game and made it to what I thought was the wizard mode , knocking off the Kingpin himself. Turns out that is *not* the wizard mode - there is a further mode after that requiring you to find the hidden loot. That mode needs you to move the character on the dmd by making shots to move him on screen around a maze. During the game as you complete modes you get told if the loot is west or north etc. From my lamp wiring research there are several inserts with the compass directions whick I suspect will assist by lighting during that mode.

I have heard claims that this game is a tad  better than BBB and while I am basing this on my whitewood which is obviously not perfect, I can see this may very well be true.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline robm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2015, 07:58:41 AM »
Very impressive stuff mate. Awesome effort!

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2015, 03:49:16 PM »
Really pleased you kept going with this project, Nick. I could tell last time I saw the game you were excited with the progress, and it has come a long way since then.

If I recall correctly, the ball trough multi ball assembly was very particular, and Nick really wanted it perfect to the point he needed a non standard machine screw that was difficult to source. Being a perfectionist, he looked for this one solitary screw in my stash of odds and ends until he found the exact screw. So this is some "back yard" project - it was always going to be a SERIOUS attempt at creating the game from scratch.

If there's anything you need to progress - just pop in mate - Plenty of "Crapcom"  <.> parts I would gladly donate  $#$
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2015, 08:32:01 AM »

If I recall correctly, the ball trough multi ball assembly was very particular, and Nick really wanted it perfect to the point he needed a non standard machine screw that was difficult to source. Being a perfectionist, he looked for this one solitary screw in my stash of odds and ends until he found the exact screw. So this is some "back yard" project - it was always going to be a SERIOUS attempt at creating the game from scratch.

I have never seen a bag with **so** many screws in it!  But we found the right one in the end - thanks mate!

Offline andypinboy

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2015, 03:00:14 PM »
Nick, just slightly off topic, but would you mind sharing your story on how you acquired your BBB? I don't mean, "I paid $xxx & it arrived in a container", but rather were you specifically after one, did the opportunity pop up, did you sign up as a pre-order etc? Cheers.
I enjoy Porsche, Gibson LPs, Bally-Williams & learning about pinball maintenance & restoration.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2015, 04:01:48 PM »
Nick, just slightly off topic, but would you mind sharing your story on how you acquired your BBB? I don't mean, "I paid $xxx & it arrived in a container", but rather were you specifically after one, did the opportunity pop up, did you sign up as a pre-order etc? Cheers.

Nutshell version - heard of the game, then the remake, it fit my Sci-fi theme perfectly but had too little info on IPB/Gene Cunningham (and what I heard was not always positive) to be prepared to risk the $ on what was probably the forerunner of the pinball "pay up front" builds.    A few months later I regretted not signing up, and was then prepared to take the risk. So I bought out a spot in the queue when one came up for a small premium over the original ask price. it was the only "factory approved" transfer (I paid Cunningham the original price, and he paid back the original queue holder), because after that there was something of an uproar from people like me who didn't initially make the queue. In the meantime I met our departed friend Greg who was also in the queue, and it was actually over this game and the couple of years wait that we fostered our friendship. When it was done I paid for the airfares to get both games over and Greg was to repay me. Funny, still didn't know Greg that well, but knew enough to know paying out $4K to cover both airfares/duties etc was a safe thing to do....We actually got our games the day before the USA guys were able to collect theirs!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 04:03:21 PM by pinnies4me »

Offline andypinboy

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2015, 06:03:28 PM »
Cool story - & I guess you are now happier than ever you signed up for one! Thanks.
I enjoy Porsche, Gibson LPs, Bally-Williams & learning about pinball maintenance & restoration.

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2015, 09:40:52 PM »
Cool story - & I guess you are now happier than ever you signed up for one! Thanks.

+1 Cool story.

Offline Belac

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, VIC.
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2015, 10:41:03 AM »
Very impressive stuff, well done!

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2015, 10:50:20 AM »
Getting motivated again to progress this. One issue I would like to overcome first before moving on to the inserts and lamps are the metal ramps.

I can't weld, and don't really want to learn as I expect I will spend a lot of time and waste a lot of metal trying. Any thoughts on how something like those could be fabricated?

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2015, 12:01:55 PM »
take a plan to a metal fabricator and have them make it

Offline vinito

• Forum Posts:
  • Kansas City, KS USA
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2015, 01:48:38 PM »
You need to move next door to me Nick!!! I have almost every tool known to man and probably enough duplicates to set you up a very complete shop if you wanted. I've been making stuff for a living forever and still like doing it and learning new stuff. We'd have that game put together in a couple weeks. I'll even buy the beer. ^^^

But to the point, around here there is always someone in a circle of friends, maybe several, who can TIG weld, which is probably the ideal method to weld the stuff you need. There are sometimes several spot welded parts too depending on the game and that is dead simple if you just had the spot welder. They are relatively simple and cheap but still not very common since it's not done all that often. Anyways, I would think that if you just asked around consistently enough you'd find somebody willing to do that little bit of welding fer nuthin' just for the fun of it, even down there on the south pole like you are.
I feel more like I do now than I did when I first got here.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2015, 03:38:46 PM »

Thanks Vinito, might have a lead on some help!