Author Topic: Why were pin prices so high in 2008?  (Read 3715 times)

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Why were pin prices so high in 2008?
« on: July 06, 2015, 08:31:27 PM »
It was before the GFC... money was easy to come by. Basket case EM's were selling on Ebay for $1000.. even I slapped down $10K around then for a few pins, all of which were gloriously overpriced. Prices in Aus were high but oddly enough, US prices were quite low in comparison.
Then the debt crisis hits and we all tighten our belts.. electricity soars, manufacturing slumps.
Prices in Aus remain relatively stable but the number has been drawn and paid for and so the continual push to get those prices again never ends. Noone is going to sell their TAF that they paid $6500 for  anything less.. chuck in some LEDs and it must go up in value right? Only the desperate sell for less than they paid.

Now though, prices in US are as high and often higher than they are here... everything has gone into private collections because the hobby has expanded so much... many of these machines are never seen again until an estate sale etc.

Most of the woodrails have gone... the 20,000 TAFs that were made are gone... the CVs are gone.
Its a case of.. you want me to sell my CV??.. Youd better make it worth my while...

And that is worldwide.