Author Topic: Gottlieb Cleopatra Restoration  (Read 9906 times)

Offline Brettski

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
  • Since I Was A Young Boy I Played The Silver Ball!
    • Strikes and Spares Restoration
Re: Gottlieb Cleopatra Restoration
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2015, 12:00:48 AM »
Update!

Rails removed by drilling the tops of the nails off as Chris suggested, all good there!

Playfield cleared and polished ready for reassembly, waiting on parts etc..

Boards checked by Andrew (Beaky) and MPU has multiple faults and not worth fixing so I have ordered a new Pascal 4 in 1 to make it reliable.

Cleaned and inspected underneath the playfield, all coils checked and cleaned, all switches cleaned with an eraser, light sockets cleaned and solder joints checked and reflowed where needed.

Cabinet completely stripped and repair under way, I have used a product called Earl's Wood Hardner to restore the rotted areas of the cabinet caused by water damage and so far quite impressed with this product. Saved heaps of time and some money.. It was $52 a litre and I have used most of it so not so cheap but still better than having to rebuild the cabinet. see pictures below... The wood still looks rotted but it is now rock hard ready to bog and sand which I will start tomorrow..

Re pinned all the board connectors so it has completely fresh contacts, picked up a ripper crimper from Amazon as recommended on this forum, cost me about $40 to get it here including shipping and works great, a must have tool for anyone in the hobby. It is as good as the expensive Molex one except it doesn't have the ratchet mechanism but just as good and easy especially if you have a lot to do like in a Pinball Machine.

http://www.amazon.com/Platinum-Tools-16801C-Contact-Clamshell/dp/B000CSC4W2

I have found the best place to get crimps (0.156) is Jaycar.. I buy pkts of 10 crimps and a connector for a $1.20 and throw away the connector. Part # HM3440 if anyone is interested.

http://www.jaycar.com.au/Interconnect/Terminals-%26-Headers/Metric-Locking-Headers/10-Pin-0-156-Header-with-crimp-pins---3-96-pitch/p/HM3440

I also made a crimp removal tool from a small flat jewelers screwdriver and shaped it with the dremel, a few tweaks and it worked great.

Stripped the paint and rust from the Apron and repainted it, then applied a new apron decal from Pinball Rescue, top product!! Apron looks Brand Spankin New!! :)

All the playfield metal parts such as post screws, wire forms, nuts and bolts etc were cleaned up in a rock polisher I got from a local pawn broker.. great piece of equipment this is, everything comes out shiny ready for reassembly with no effort what so ever.. Another piece of equipment I recommend highly!

Here are some pics from recent work...

Cheers: Brettski... :)