Author Topic: Paying for Parts at Pinball Resource  (Read 1492 times)

Offline Brettski

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
  • Since I Was A Young Boy I Played The Silver Ball!
    • Strikes and Spares Restoration
Paying for Parts at Pinball Resource
« on: August 13, 2015, 01:57:40 PM »
Hi there,
I am about to order some parts from Pinball Resource such as some plastic sets etc that I can't find anywhere else. Has anybody had experience dealing with them and how did you go about making payment, I see they use Moneygram and has anyone used this service before..

Any insight much appreciated.

Regards: Brettski... :)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 01:59:37 PM by Brettski »

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
Re: Paying for Parts at Pinball Resource
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2015, 02:25:14 PM »
Hi there,
I am about to order some parts from Pinball Resource such as some plastic sets etc that I can't find anywhere else. Has anybody had experience dealing with them and how did you go about making payment, I see they use Moneygram and has anyone used this service before..

Any insight much appreciated.

Yep used moneygram and before that western union.
Problem is these services are meant for money transfers to someone you know, I believe western union have banned them due to this.
Wont be long before the are blacklisted from moneygram too.
I think others have used bank transfers???

Online Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2015, 02:45:10 PM »
I tried the Moneygram method, but it was a complete waste of time. They are quick to sign you up, but once you try to transfer $ to PBR, you need bank details and other details which Moneygram don't need to know. I saw it as a sales pitch. In the end, they wanted me to go with cash to a 7/11 (no joke) that is setup for moneygram cash transfers. Even the bank to bank transfers are a pain as you have 5-6 banks to choose from at the exchange rate they offer at that time, then you book in a transfer and some clown from moneygram rings you up and you spend the next 20 minutes proving your identity.. blah blah.. My advise - Steer well clear of Moneygrab. What a waste of time ! They make paypal look honest !

What I've done for over 10 years - Go to the bank, pick up an "International Cheque" application form, fill it out and present it to the teller. Takes 5 minutes to fill out and 10 minutes for the teller to organize. Then post to the USA. Costs around $30 for the cheque - depending on the bank. I send a lot of $ to PBR as store credit. so I might have to go to the bank 2-3 times a year.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Brettski

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 04:06:21 PM »
Thanks Chris and Nino,

That is what I wanted to hear Nino.. much appreciated. I will go down the bank international cheque path as you suggested.

Offline Slash

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 04:15:59 PM »
Another possible option is if you happen to know someone in the US.  You could paypal them the money and get them to post a cheque to PBR.

Offline Brettski

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 05:14:11 PM »
Another possible option is if you happen to know someone in the US.  You could paypal them the money and get them to post a cheque to PBR.
I have a cousin in Seattle who is happy to do this and this was the way I was going but Nino's suggestion is good regarding the international bank cheque so I think I will try this approach.

Thank you your suggestion is much appreciated.

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 07:57:52 PM »
I tried the Moneygram method, but it was a complete waste of time. They are quick to sign you up, but once you try to transfer $ to PBR, you need bank details and other details which Moneygram don't need to know. I saw it as a sales pitch. In the end, they wanted me to go with cash to a 7/11 (no joke) that is setup for moneygram cash transfers. Even the bank to bank transfers are a pain as you have 5-6 banks to choose from at the exchange rate they offer at that time, then you book in a transfer and some clown from moneygram rings you up and you spend the next 20 minutes proving your identity.. blah blah.. My advise - Steer well clear of Moneygrab. What a waste of time ! They make paypal look honest !

What I've done for over 10 years - Go to the bank, pick up an "International Cheque" application form, fill it out and present it to the teller. Takes 5 minutes to fill out and 10 minutes for the teller to organize. Then post to the USA. Costs around $30 for the cheque - depending on the bank. I send a lot of $ to PBR as store credit. so I might have to go to the bank 2-3 times a year.

I didn't go through any of that, I just went to an agent at the local Westfield and did it on the spot, no bank details at all.

Online Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2015, 09:10:54 PM »

I didn't go through any of that, I just went to an agent at the local Westfield and did it on the spot, no bank details at all.

The point is you had to go to a Moneygram outlet. If you watch their misleading video, it clearly states you can do it all online - which is not true. Defeats the purpose entirely.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Brunswick Brawler

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2015, 11:22:55 PM »
I bought some some stuff form PBR a few years back, and had no issue with a direct bank transfer.  I did it all from my own bank login.

...Well my only issue was the $20 fee, plus a non favourable exchange rate (bank makes money on fee and exchange rate).

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2015, 03:16:16 PM »
I bought some some stuff form PBR a few years back, and had no issue with a direct bank transfer.  I did it all from my own bank login.

...Well my only issue was the $20 fee, plus a non favourable exchange rate (bank makes money on fee and exchange rate).

^This.

Commonwealth Bank has this ability as I have used it in the past for other non-pinball related transactions. From memory it was a $22 fee for online versus $30 for an over the counter transaction. No doubt the others in the "Big Four" and other financial institutions will have similar options.

The most important aspect in doing it in this way is to make sure the deposit number details are spot on down to the swift code as incorrect details will cause another raft of fees to locate and retrieve the failed deposit.

Offline Homepin

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Not a business - A Passion!
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2015, 06:21:57 PM »
PBR should accept PayPal.......... %.%

I'm with him 100% on this one - I am aware it makes things difficult BUT at the end of the day it is HIS business to run as he sees fit and I can assure those following that it is NOT fun chasing PayPus when some fool decides you have dudded him, whether he is right or wrong, PayPus shouldn't be the ones to act as the judge and Jury in these matters IMO.

Banks don't so why should PayPus?
Replacement Pinball PCBs that remain faithful to the originals

Offline Brettski

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2015, 08:29:55 PM »
I am not complaining about the way he does business, I am just trying to find the most convenient way to make the payment with the options available and not having dealt with them before. I would personally rather deal with my Bank than Moneygram, just like I would rather drink Coke than Pepsi, Holden over Ford, Android over Apple, Bunnings over Masters Yadda Yadda Yadda  %$%

Anyway everyone is quite helpful here and all input is appreciated.
I would have a hard time fixing these machines if it wasn't for the guy's on this forum and I have finally learn't that it's always the connectors!! LOL  $#$

Cheers: Brettski... :)

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2015, 06:48:25 PM »
To be honest, paying PBR is a royal pain in the arse.
If you cant do Western Union anymore then bank transfer is the best option, you just have to make the order justify the $30 fee and time taken to do it.

Ive used Ozforex  in the past for bank to bank transfers as it worked out cheaper than the bank with a better exchange rate.

http://www.ozforex.com.au/?cid=204&kid=1576&gclid=CPrt3u7LqscCFUUrvQodL9oGyA&gclsrc=aw.ds

There is a minimum amount to transfer from memory but I cant remember what it is as its been a while... might be worth checking out though. Funds go straight to recipients bank.

Gav

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2015, 08:52:07 AM »

I pay with an international bank draft (effectively a US dollar bank cheque) which I get from Bendigo Bank for $5.00 - I think it's $10.00 normally but I get a shareholder discount. Anyway, worth checking at Bendigo Bank. The exchange rate always seems pretty much in line with the published rate.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline dazza

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2015, 06:33:37 PM »
What sort of exchange rate does Bendigo give you.

Last time I did an overseas order I used HiFX with 1 cent difference on the excange rate.