Author Topic: Digital Jukebox resto?.....maybe just a fix up!  (Read 4359 times)

Offline Cursed

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
Digital Jukebox resto?.....maybe just a fix up!
« on: July 28, 2015, 11:18:45 PM »
Thought I would share a small jukebox build/fix up that I am working on.

For quite a while I wanted a NSM or Rockola CD jukebox as I really like the idea of having a CD mech actually picking the discs for a bit of nostalgia, and the fact of punching in your selection sounded great as well.

After seeing what some of these jukeboxes can go for and how rarely they come up I saw a digital (photo booth conversion) jukebox come up for sale on another forum.

The price seemed very reasonable and I liked the look/design of it, but not the colour! I was still torn though on not having a CD jukebox.

After some great mental debate I decided to take the risk on a digital jukebox, I know a bit about computers so the fact that I could easily fix it if something went wrong appealed to me. And the fact that this came with a karaoke set up and a photo booth option seemed like bonuses at the time.

Now I am not condoning karaoke but I can see it being rather fun later on.....the photo booth though I have decided to get rid of as it would not really get used in a home environment

I have had the jukebox for a few months now and have only used it as a music player, we have not used the karaoke yet as I wanted to have that ready for when I do the rebuild/fix up. I can honestly say I am very glad I went digital as picking songs is so easy and using the touchscreen just makes it a joy to use. The thought of having to go through the CD covers on a CD jukebox now seems like it would be a chore. Not bagging CD types just sharing my personal findings in case anyone was on the fence....

Anyway time for some pictures, first up is how I bought it

Then I finally got around to stripping it.....

And then painting it! Which it badly needed as the blue was very blue!

I will be the first to say I am not a pro at this stuff so expect to see problems or things I may miss.

This is going into my games room (Click here to see the thread) which is all black so this should blend in nicely!

There is more to come but I thought I would do smaller posts rather than one big one from go to whoa!

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
Re: Digital Jukebox resto?.....maybe just a fix up!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 04:16:15 PM »
Black is the new blue today  %.% I think the blue would have looked out of place in your room. Can't wait to see the progress and hope it all turns out trumps for you mate
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Cursed

• Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 08:42:22 PM »
Thanks Rob, the blue was awful and stood out like dogs.

But we actually really liked using it, so taking it out of commission for a while to do this was not what we wanted.

The missus recently put us on a (much needed) diet so I thought that would be a good time to do it as we do associate the games room with snacks and grog......just a little..... !@) &&

Offline Cursed

• Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 08:30:29 PM »
Ok, so on with the next part of the "fixup".

I personally did not have much to do with this next step as it is out of my ability range.

I heard a mate of my cousin dabbled in painting projects and would be keen to try painting my Jukebox. He was happy to be paid in grog as long as I paid for the supplies so it sounded like a win to me.

The only real brief I gave him was I just wanted musical notes on it, I did not want any words, pictures or the like.

After about a week I got the following photos from him.......

And I was very happy with what he had done as I thought it looked good.

Then a day or two after that he sends me these photos......

I was (and still am) gobsmacked and love what he had done.

He asked me what I wanted on the front panel where the touch screen is and I said to do what he likes as I loved what was done so far.

Next day I got this photo...........

In case I have not made it obvious I love it!!

I got to pick it up a few days later and he had also cleared it for me. Very happy with the job he did on it.

This is how it looks together.

Keep in mind the phone does not seem to show the colours right, without the flash the colours are too dull. With the flash the colours are too strong.

Anyway you get the idea........

More to follow.....

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 08:47:43 PM »
And it just cost you only grog and materials......you are a very lucky man.....looks amazing.

If anyone says the contrary, I think they are just jealous.
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Cursed

• Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 08:10:45 PM »
Starting to put it back together now.

Put the top screen back in and drilled a few new holes in the frame so i could centre the screen so it sits perfectly now.

Previously it looked like this.....

Now it looks like this......

Also putting in the power.

And computer.....

Sorry, I mean computers......

More to follow.

Offline Cursed

• Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2015, 10:01:59 PM »
Ok, so here is why the 2 computers.

The bottom half of the unit is unused so I wanted to do something down there, I did think about putting in some flashy coloured disco lights or something similar but I thought it would drown out my UV lighting if it was too bright.

So I come up with this.....

Complete overkill I know, but I am adding in another screen.

The reason for the second computer is I wanted to be able to turn the unit on at my wall switch and everything would load and startup automatically and be ready to go without me having to do anything.

More photos as I put each screen in.

More to come.