Author Topic: Fathom: Sea nymphs await but my RHS flippers are intermittent  (Read 290 times)

Offline solar value

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
Fathom: Sea nymphs await but my RHS flippers are intermittent
« on: September 13, 2015, 01:14:13 PM »
Hi All,

Well, no sooner had I got the sound fixed on this game that a new problem has appeared:

The upper and lower flippers on the right-hand-side are working intermittently. Sometimes they will fire when the button is pressed, sometimes not, and sometimes they will fire with a delay. The flipper on the left works fine and doesn't have the same issue. I also noticed that when the RHS flippers are not working (not responding to the flipper button) and I hold the RHS flipper button in and then press the LHS flipper this will flip the left flipper as well as triggering the RHS flippers. I'm sure this must be a clue but am not sure what it means.

Should these flippers be staged? I noticed that when the flipper does work, both flippers fire when the first switch on the stack closes, i.e. the upper flipper is flipping when the second switch on the stack is still open. Is that correct?

These are recently rebuilt flippers and the coil on the lower flipper is new. The cabinet switches were not replaced at the time of the rebuild.

Here's what I have done so far:
I filed the contacts on the RHS cabinet flipper switch with no change.
I inspected the under-playfield fuse and holder and found that the holder was very suspect. For a moment I was sure that I had found the problem and replaced it with a new one. Unfortunately, this did not fix the problem.
I inspected the flipper relay during start-up and it is working as it should.
I inspected the back of the solenoid driver board. The solenoid joints on the header pins at J1 and the flipper relay look OK but I have not reflowed them yet.
I tried to test the lower flipper coil by grounding the middle lug (as suggested in Clay's guides) but this only blew the F4 fuse. I am unsure if I did the test wrong or this means something.

Any ideas? Thanks, SV.

Offline benpin

• Trade Count: (-1)
  • Forum Posts:
Check your double EOS Switch ass on lower right hand flipper assembly

If get you stuck and want help, you know where to find me

Offline solar value

• Forum Posts:
Check your double EOS Switch ass on lower right hand flipper assembly

Thanks, the EOS is fairly new and gapped correctly and this problem is affecting both the upper and lower RHS flippers in the same way.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Sounds like some re wiring of the advanced EOS has created the problem ?

Place some cardboard in between the Advanced EOS for the upper flipper. Take that upper flipper out of the equation. Just get the lower right flipper working first. The way the wiring is set up is also based on "timing" of these switches.

Start with the basics.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline solar value

• Forum Posts:
OK, thanks Nino and Ben,

I did the cardboard trick and the lower flipper worked fine. It turns out that although the EOS switch was closed when it should be, it wasn't contacting properly. When I put the cardboard in, that small amount of extra pressure caused it to conduct and the flipper worked fine. So I adjusted the EOS and am now good to go.