Author Topic: Pinball Magazine No. 3 contest  (Read 2407 times)

Offline robm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
Re:
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2015, 07:42:35 AM »

Offline andypinboy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • NSW
Re: Pinball Magazine No. 3 contest
« Reply #46 on: October 01, 2015, 10:17:37 AM »
Revised to 404
I enjoy Porsche, Gibson LPs, Bally-Williams & learning about pinball maintenance & restoration.

Offline Freiherr

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
« Reply #47 on: October 01, 2015, 10:24:37 AM »
Guys, dont go too far overboard with the guesses, the paper on those magazines/books is at least twice as thick as that of your average newsagent publications.
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline 4_amusement_only

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #48 on: October 01, 2015, 05:16:49 PM »

Offline PinballMagazine

• Forum Posts:
  • www.pinball-magazine.com
    • Pinball Magazine
« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2015, 03:44:02 PM »
Time to reveal the correct answer: Pinball Magazine No. 3 has (......drumroll.......)

260 pages!

The contest is now closed and those who guessed it correct will be contacted by me shortly.
Managing editor of Pinball Magazine: www.pinball-magazine.com

Offline McKie1

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #50 on: October 04, 2015, 08:08:37 PM »
Can't wait to grab a copy :)

Offline andypinboy

• Forum Posts:
  • NSW
« Reply #51 on: October 04, 2015, 11:11:13 PM »
That is one big mutha of a mag. Price?
I enjoy Porsche, Gibson LPs, Bally-Williams & learning about pinball maintenance & restoration.

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2015, 07:30:26 PM »
Missed by that much as mr smart would say
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline spacejam0

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2015, 07:46:33 PM »
Missed by that much as mr smart would say

256 and 264 were the 2 closest guesses if I'm right which would mean your a winner  $#$

Good carmer for you for keeping the water off my pinnies the other day I reacon.

Offline 4_amusement_only

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2015, 07:33:12 PM »
Price for us delivered is just shy of $50

Offline PinballMagazine

• Forum Posts:
    • Pinball Magazine
« Reply #55 on: October 12, 2015, 11:32:26 AM »
The first batch of magazines shipped last Friday, including quite a few copies to Australia. I would like to express my appreciation to all of those who ordered a copy just based on the magazine's reputation and a few photos on the Pinball Magazine website. Once you get the magazine, pleae let me know what you think of it.

To address a few comments posted above:
According to my currency convertor the price of the magazine is 27.15 AUS $ + shipping from Europe, making it a little under 44 AUS$ in total. The magazine weights almost 1 kilogram, which explains the postal costs. Contrary to mentioned above the used paper is actually less heavy than with the previous issues. Main reason to do that was to reduce the shipping costs. But then the page count also went up...

PSPA have indicated they would like to offer the magazine as well, and I'll look into that right after Pinball Expo, but even when the magazine is shipped in bulk there's still shipping costs to recoup. If anyone knows a cheap way to ship the magazine in bulk to Australie, I'm all ears.

Cheers,

Jonathan

Offline 4_amusement_only

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2015, 07:18:01 PM »
My figure was the final checkout price, but I will still pay whatever because it is a great magazine.

Jonathan, just some constructive criticism. I must say I'm a little disappointed that your last issue was released over 2 years ago and now one third of the mag is centred around a title that was released a few months ago. Just seems to me like you waited for the opportune moment to reap maximum return based on KISS at the expense of continuity in your magazine?

I'd rather the mag to adhere to a consistent issue date, with an average amount of pages (keeping to an average cost).
Also if you could, please interview somebody from the Gottlieb organisation solely about the GTB company.

Keep up the good work.

Offline PinballMagazine

• Forum Posts:
    • Pinball Magazine
« Reply #57 on: November 02, 2015, 10:25:33 AM »
@ 4_amustement_only: Thanks for your comment. You are correct the previous issue came out over 2 years ago. In the mean time I worked on another issue, which was supposed to be issue 3. That would focus on pinball designer and artist Python Anghelo. Python welcomed me at his house and we spent two weeks together, spread over 2 trips, in which he talked for over 50 hours (recorded). As Python tended to be quite opinionated and chaotic I was left with the task to first transcribe all the recordings and then try to make some sense out of them. Pythons mind was quicker than his mouth so he jumped from topic to topic. On average 3 topics per minute. Working my way through that has taken up most of the past 2 years. In the mean time I also published Santiago Ciuffo's Pinball book and a bunch of free downloadable PDF minizines with more current games and reports. In my editorial of PM03 I described how the current issue came about, so I'm not going to repeat that here. But basically it's not that I have taken a break for 2 years. I just haven't published what I've been working on.

I do not intent do become a periodical published magazines. I've been editor of a quarterly published pinball magazine and I quit that for several reasons, of which many have to do with meeting deadlines. Plus when I started Pinball Magazine Pingame Journal was already doing that for forever and I didn't want to compete with Jim.

In regards to your Gottlieb request: good news: earlier this year I interviewed Gottlieb designer Wayne Neyens (97) about his years at Gottlieb. I'm not sure when that will be published as I haven't had time to start transcribing those recordings yet. But a Gottlieb focused issue is sure something I like to do.

Cheers,

Jonathan

Offline PinballMagazine

• Forum Posts:
    • Pinball Magazine
« Reply #58 on: November 02, 2015, 11:21:07 PM »
... now one third of the mag is centred around a title that was released a few months ago. ...

Actually Stern's KISS is only about 30 pages or so. Bally's KISS is discussed as part of the Jim Patla and Kevin o'Connor interviews, but these interviews cover their years at Bally, not just one game. The third KISS game discussed is Zidware's KISS Pinball Maximus, which was just a prototype that may have urged another company to pursue that license. So about 1/3 of the magazine can be seen as related to KISS themed pinball machines, but that are 3 titles.

Offline 4_amusement_only

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2015, 06:35:02 PM »
 ^^^ thanks for that. Sorry if my statement sounded like you were doing squat for 2 years - I am aware of your ongoing amount of work, particularly with the Santiago book and helping getting that off the ground, (still think that has one of the best cover finishes of any book I own) - pure class.

Good stuff with Wayne. Glad a professional got another documented interview with him before he heads off to bigger and better things. Last printed interview with him was in one or two of the Compendiums by Michael Shalhoub. Alvin Gottlieb has a decent story to tell as well. Maybe get some Zac in there with something from Marino Zaccaria - leading the way in some respects and going all out in 83' when others were scaling right back during the video boom.

I'm sure you got some others in mind too, cheers