Author Topic: Melbourne Matchplay Championship & Greg Berry Junior Cup  (Read 14187 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: Melbourne Matchplay Championship & Greg Berry Junior Cup
« on: September 28, 2015, 10:18:16 PM »
No doubt I will get flamed for my thoughts but I am a bit disappointed with this.

1 - This is not what I donated money for.  When I donated money it was advertised as funds that would be used to give something for Greg's family from all of us.  I understand that this may have been Greg's passion but it is not what I thought I was contributing to.

2 - Less than a months notice for the event and with business commitments I can't even get myself or my kids there to take part anyway.

Not loving pinball at all anymore.

1 - Incorrect - Here is a direct quote from the thread http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?topic=13475.15 ;

"We are thinking of a unique display cabinet with a part mounted from his favorite games with a plaque. The writing on the plaque can be from a "Tribute" thread"

In June, you requested an update. Here was the reply ;

"We have spoken to the family with various ideas and we have come up with something that the family and friends are all VERY happy with. There will be an announcement in late May"

Then in July, we made it public ;

"we are moving towards having an event that bears Greg's name. An annual event that will be part of an existing comp. Most likely in Melbourne at this stage. The donations will be used to fund the trophies in the event"

In a nutshell - We took initial idea of plaques to the family and they liked it. We were thinking of designs etc and then the suggestion from Marty was to hold an event in a comp to honor Greg. We took this idea to the family and they LOVED it MORE than than the plaque idea. A Competition would bring together his family and friends to celebrate Greg and pinball. To meet each year and have an event was far more important to them. Greg followed his Zac Foster and was always telling me how great this kid is. So the idea to have the event annually was something we just had to do. The competition winner will have his or her photo mounted on a small plaque and presented to the family each year. The donations would fund the trophies - that was common knowledge in JULY.

2 - I run two business' that are both so far behind it is not funny. I work at least 10 hours a day 7 days a week. I've had to deal with my own stuff and organize the tribute for Greg (whether it was plaques of the event). James contacted me in the middle of last week with the idea of the comp being on that nominated weekend. Completely out of my control. I didn't choose the dates, but I had to make a decision to do something "soon" as I am aware people want to see "something" as a tribute for Greg, as the donations were given quite some time ago. I'm sure there are a minority of donators that don't trust me and NEED to see tangible evidence that I've not run off to the Bahamas.

I'll look through the donations and refund yours if it is what you would prefer.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia