Author Topic: New cabinet decals.  (Read 724 times)

Offline Goingpinsane

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wa
New cabinet decals.
« on: January 25, 2016, 09:48:21 PM »
Hi guys. I've decided to have a go at repairing a cabinet and replacing decals. I've stripped it all back and repaired all imperfections. Just wondering if I should paint/seal before I apply the new decals. Wet method or direct stick? Is one method better than the other.  Any tricks or advice greatly appreciated.
Cheers.

Offline robm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
Re:
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 09:54:23 PM »
If you are going wet definitely paint it. I generally use a decent primer and sand back till smooth, then paint the corners black where you trim the decals.

Would recommend wet if its your first time. There is a vid of mine on youtube if you search for applying pinball decals wet method. Just can't link it on my phone at the moment.

I personally do them dry now but don't see any real downside with the wet method

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: New cabinet decals.
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 10:05:58 PM »
Whats the decal printed on to?

If "easy apply air release" then they should be done dry. ( can tell as vinyl will be made up of lots of hexagonal shapes that press out when applied)
If going onto bare timber then decals should be on a hi tac vinyl.
If in any doubt, substrate should be sealed with a smooth finish... not acrylic wall paint as this is absorbant and generally long term adhesion cannot be guaranteed

Offline Goingpinsane

• Forum Posts:
  • Wa
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 12:05:41 AM »
I'll have to pull them out and check. They came with the machine. I'll get back if I'm not sure. Thanks guys.

Offline Goingpinsane

• Forum Posts:
  • Wa
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 01:27:31 AM »
Here is a pic.

Offline Goingpinsane

• Forum Posts:
  • Wa
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 01:49:27 PM »
Can you tell what it is printed on from that picture? Can I do the wet method with these? Thanks.

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 03:05:03 PM »
Looks like standard vinyl... wet method is Ok.
With the wet method, you need to get a garden hand spray bottle.. fill with water and then add a couple of drops of washing up liquid.. don't use the super concentrate, standard is OK.
Cab side is sprayed with the soapy mix and then put the decal face down to the cab. The water mix will make it stick.. now you can take the backing off from a corner exposing the sticky side. If you give this a slight spray it wont stick together.. try not to get the paper backing wet though as it can separate.
Ok.. so decal is in place face down.. spray all the sticky side and then grab one side and flip it round. The water/detergent mix will allow you to slide it into position.. doesn't slide? Not enough detergent.. slides all over the place? too much detergent.
Once in position, you need a squeedgy to push the water mix out from under the decal.. do it from centre out towards the edges.. any bubbles can be pushed out this way also.
Decals are slightly porous and the tiny amount of liquid left underneath will dry off over a day or so and you need to be careful with it until then.
Clear as mud?

Offline Goingpinsane

• Forum Posts:
  • Wa
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2016, 03:12:19 PM »
Cheers. Mud is a little clearer now.

Offline robm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2016, 03:33:35 PM »
Here is the vid i was talking about

Offline Goingpinsane

• Forum Posts:
  • Wa
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2016, 03:39:28 PM »
Thanks rob. Looked it up. The link didn't work. Is it the one with getaway?