Author Topic: Williams Drop Targets  (Read 428 times)

Offline spacejam0

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Williams Drop Targets
« on: December 24, 2015, 09:08:39 PM »
Hi Guys
The drop targets on my new Gorgar are sticky and don't drop well.
I decided to do a bit of research and have a crack ad fixing them up myself. After studying up I felt that it was most likely that they were dirty and needed a good clean up.
This afternoon I pulled one set out and broke it down on the kitchen table. I thoroughly cleaned each and every component right down to the screws even removed the decals.
I spent a couple of hours and am confident that I cleaned them well. Once re-built on the table they dropped beautifully and were nice and snappy.
I then cleaned up the contacts that the wiper contacts on the targets track over and fitted them back into the machine.
No joy they still stick and don't drop properly  ^.^ .
Had a close look to see if I could work out what was going on even thought they might be catching on the old perished rubber so I changed that over and nothing.
What I'm thinking now is it possible that the wiper contacts are somehow creating too much friction on the on the contacts and causing the targets to stick?
I have decided to leave them for a pro to fix but any thoughts appreciated as its got me curious.
Cheers
Tim

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Re: Williams Drop Targets
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2015, 11:34:08 PM »
Very light coat of lithium grease or 3in1 oil ;). Or trim down the spring slightly to add more tension

Offline Steevsee

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2015, 11:16:12 AM »
Rebuilt mine recently.  One contact board was a bit dodgy, so I added a little solder. 

Had to spend next ten minutes, removing solder and fine sanding board to make target drop properly.

Friction, yes definitely a problem on these.

Very light, suitable lubrication, as Daniel suggested, also helps.

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2015, 10:36:37 PM »
Check that the targets are aligned well in the slot. My 3 bank on the embryon was slightly out of square where on target just dragged on the edge. Actually just loosened one side and was fixed. What gave it away a little was I felt a minor knock when manually resetting the targets upwards. If same for you maybe a washer or two could help
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2015, 12:53:15 AM »
If they dropped whilst the assembly was out if the machine then there must be something wrong with the mounting to the playfield
Is the frame a little distorted and when you tighten the screws it's throwing it out of whack?

Offline spacejam0

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2015, 05:29:55 PM »
Thanks to everyone's advise and the weather being too hot to do anything outside today I decided to have another crack at the drop targets.
Firstly I took out the set I had already done and just checked the tension on all the screws in the assembly and made sure everything was nice and square. I found if I over tightened the screws they didn't drop as well as backing them off just a little. I re cleaned the contact switches with alcohol and a cotton bud and applied a really light coat of 3 in 1 oil. Then I put a really tight rubber on the drop targets which pulled back further away from the targets as they seemed to be catching on the rubber a little. Success they work liked new  @@*.
Inspired I pulled out the second set and pulled them down on the kitchen table and spent about an hour and a half cleaning them with windex, alcohol,cotton buds,steelwool and a tooth brush till every part looked new then re assembled as above.
Once again a new rubber, contact clean and a light coal of 3 in 1 and bingo another set of drop targets working like new.
Not that exciting for most of you but for me this is my greatest pinball repair to date up till now I have only really done fuses,globes rubbers,coils etc so I'm pretty happy I always find it pretty rewarding to do any little repair I can understand why you guys get so much satisfaction doing restores.
Happy New Year everyone.

Offline Steevsee

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2015, 07:39:01 PM »
Nice.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2015, 09:15:01 PM »
Good to hear the rebuild worked fine. Not as well designed as the Ballys.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia