Author Topic: Top 10 games in your collection - do you have them ?  (Read 35305 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Top 10 games in your collection - do you have them ?
« on: January 09, 2016, 09:47:40 PM »
Something a little different with regard to pinball collections.

What are your top 10 pinball machines that you either have in your collection, or you are looking at acquiring in your collection. Not a "Top 10 greatest pinball ever made" - just your personal "top 10". Just for the topic's sake - let's say you have the room for 10 games and the $ for 10 games.

When I started collecting, here is the list of games I've always wanted ;

1) Paragon - Already had this game
2) Fathom
3) Embryon
4) Spirit
5) Haunted House
6) Winner
7) Spirit of 76 - Already had this game
8) Super Score
9) Cirqus Voltaire
10) Rocket Ship

To date, I have all the games except "Super Score" and "Rocket Ship". Along the way I've picked up other AMAZING titles like Captain Fantastic, Fireball, Six Sticks, Centaur, Rocky and Space Invaders. I recently add a woodrail - Miss Annabelle. I still love collecting as much as restoring.

After all these years, I STILL love the"hunt" - even though it almost appears to be over - or is a "top 20 list" ?

What Games are YOU missing  - if you had the room for TEN ?
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
Re: Top 10 games in your collection - do you have them ?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2016, 11:54:34 PM »
Twilight zone
Funhouse
Embryon
Space invaders
Cirqus voltare
Centaur
Medusa
Monsterbash
Paragon
Toss between metallica or iron man

Got 4 of these, the top 4 listed

Btw if it wasn't for the forum, I reckon I would have stuck with only one game and not have had the guts to purchase more. The forum has enabled me to do most if not all my own fix its. Too costly otherwise. Thanks giys
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 11:59:33 PM by pinball god »
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline greenechidna

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • straight down the guts
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2016, 12:13:56 AM »
These were or have become must haves and are now owned.
Volley
Sky Jump
Outer Space
Abra Ca Dabra
High Hand
Pro Football

Wanted and looking (When I'm allowed by my long suffering wife <..>):
Spin Out
Surfer
Buccaneer
Atlantis/Lawman
Solar City/El Dorado
4Square
Big Chief
Gulfstream  and Travel Time for sentimental reasons

This doesn't denigrate any of my other machines which are all much loved, just trying to figure out a few must haves.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 12:15:48 AM by greenechidna »

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2016, 09:30:15 AM »
MAN its sooo hard to pick just ten  :D

Anyway here is my list based on games i loved back in the day and either have now (and play most) or want..

In no particular order;

KISS (Bally)
Stellar Wars
Dracula (Stern)
Cosmic Princess
Harlem Globertrotters
Buck Rogers
Haunted House
Gorgar
Count Down
Playboy (Bally)

I know most of these titles are not considered great players by some, but i like them for sentimental reasons.

I have all except the last four which are on my 'most wanted' list, in particular HH which is a "i'd sell my left nut for" title.
And i have a mate who has Gorgar, and it'll be mine 'one day' when he decides to sell (after he beats my hi score)  :lol

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2016, 10:11:10 AM »
Great topic Strangeways!

When I first started collecting I was very much into the SS games of my arcade days. I had not played a pinball since the late 1980's (other than the odd game in a noisy pub). So for the first few years I mostly wanted SS games. But soon after I got my first game, I came across an AFM at the theater which expanded my horizons. Over time the SS games have mostly left in favour of DMDs.

In the order of what I wanted to get as the collecting bug bit and grew....

1. Time Warp (the game that I wanted as the "I just want one game from my arcade days" game) - still have;
2. AFM (unfair to come across one of the best DMD games ever so early, the bug bit hard) - still got;
3. Twilight Zone (I started looking for games in the wild to see what other DMDs were out there) - bought but sold as not my style;
4. Joker Poker (a mate mentioned this when playing TW with me as his favorite which reminded me about it as well) - still have;
5. Firepower (this was the game that most attracted me away from my favorite TW in the arcade) - still have;
6. BBB (reading of all things pinball and the demise of the manufacturers in the 1990's lead me to this game, and then suddenly it was being made) - still have;
7. Black Hole (this only seemed to be working once or twice when I wanted to play it, but boy it left an impression) - still have;
8. Funhouse (best toy ever!) - still have;
9. Jurassic Park (one of the few games I played in the 1990's, still remember the pub and how impressed I was with this game) - still have;
10. Kingpin (well maybe one day they will make it or I will finish it)

“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2016, 04:39:39 PM »
A top ten list is not carved in stone for me

Back when I started collecting in the early 80s, my top 10 would have included Space Shuttle, Centaur and Eightball Deluxe. These games would still top my list (but I don’t have any of them)

Then when I got back into collecting, I discovered DMDs
I had only played a few DMDs in the wild, so I had no idea on what was a fun game
I suppose I have a good collection of Bally/Williams titles
Id still like a Dr Who and a Medieval Madness

As for current Sterns, only one game would make my desert island 10 games.
Ironman is a fun game, but even then it would only come in at #10

But when it comes to listing a final 10, it comes down to what I played, not what is popular

Card Whiz (I like drop target banks)
Sinbad (the first SS game I played)
Star Trek (was on location one summer, third game I owned)
Pharaoh (back then, this game came up much more than Black Knight)
Eightball Deluxe (back then, this game was everywhere, surprised they rarely come up for sale) (don’t own)
High speed (anther game that was everywhere at the time, the playfield was so different to anything else) (don’t own)
Funhouse
Creature From the Black Lagoon (the first DMD I bought)
Cirquis Voltaire
Ironman (simple and fun)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2016, 04:50:19 PM »
I walked past the "Sky Jump" just before and suddenly realized it would be in my "Top 10" - But I can't find a title to replace it with ? Then the Black Hole, Rocky, Freefall, Centaur and Flight 2000.

Typically the only playable games are Sky Jump and Paragon. This year, I will be restoring either the Embryon or Flight 2000. Each year I will restore one of my own games, and the "Top 5" will go home, and the rest will be upstairs for meets etc.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2016, 12:17:20 PM »
Like Pete these are not carved in stone either but they have all been consistently on my want or keep lists.

Xenon - This one I own. Simple rules, lots of fun. I probably play this game more than any other in my collection.

Fathom - Own this one. Beautiful looking game, I'd keep this in the collection just admire it. Fortunately it a great player as well.

Flash Gordon - Own this one - Fast and brutal play make this a great multi player game. When you get a good ball you can feel like you have it on a string with this game but most of the time it just kicks your arse.

Black hole - Don't own this one and apart from on the iPad I've only played a handful of games on one of these machines but the wide open playfield, great sounds and space theme really grab me.

Genie - Have one coming. Fun widebody System 1 gameplay where simple rules don't equal easy. Gordon Morison art is also a standout on this game.

Count-down - Don't own it but again beautiful Gordon Morison art and simple but challenging System 1 gameplay. I'd really love to restore one of these back near new.

Scared Stiff - Don't own this one. Fun game, great shots and call outs are second to none.

Centaur - Own this one. Maybe my favourite game. Great rules, heaps of shots and the sounds are awesome.

Nitro Ground Shaker - Don't own it, never played one but I love the art package on this machine and I think this is a game I think I'd really enjoy restoring so it makes my list just for that reason. From what I've seen on YouTube I think I'd enjoy the gameplay as well.

Centigrade 37 - Don't own this one. Only played a couple of games on this one but it was very cool. It'd be nice to have an em EM in the collection as well.

Sent from my iPad

Offline oldskool1969

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2016, 02:53:55 PM »
Let me first off by saying that the ONLY pin I desire at the moment which will probably never happen is
Gottlieb "PARADISE" 1965, to me it is beautiful , would also accept the add-a-ball version "PLEASURE ISLE"   

I am stoked and in my eyes I have a most excellent collection that happen to be some of my top 10

1.Gilligan's Island as it has the most innovative toy, rotating Island and also the first DMD machine ever made. I own this.
2.RBION as I have fond memories of me and me mate surfing SE QLD and going to the museum to play it and now I own a                    bewdy
3.WNBJM as I love the gameplay, humour, art and sound of this boutique game, also own this. Beautiful even when off!
4.Surf Champ my holy grail that is a stunner to look at and plays like a beast. Cleared play field and a real challenge I own. Thanks to APR.  ^^^
5.Metllica as it is what a pinball is meant to be, awesome game play with beautiful art and great call outs ( HELL YEAH ) unfortunately not a big fan of music, but I grin and bear it. I do not own this.
6.WOZ is what pinball should be like in this day and age. A true masterpiece in its own right and just stunning. I don't own.
7.2001 GTB 1971 is a cracker to play with 2" flippers and 20 drops. Still got to get her running right. I own this. ( my first ever pin )
8.Fathom because it is a true classic for us water babies. I do not own but think it is over priced now. I do not own.
9.Fish Tales as it is the most brutal game ever and the art is phenomenal, with colour DMD it is a pearler. I own this.
10.BBH as this title is what I consider to be the most approachable to any level player. A game where you feel like you have achieved something but actually haven't. My 71 year old mother loves it. I remember everyone bagged it and the first game I was hooked. The wizard mode is almost unobtainable just like RBION. This game still surprises even the most ardent of players. I own this.

just missed out were Harley Davidson by Bally, Who Dunnit and Dr Dude.

This title is a TRUE REAL SLEEPER.
If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.

Offline spacejam0

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2016, 03:51:31 PM »
Hmm 10 wont be easy but I'll give it a go.
First 3 must have I already have and in order of favorites (which does change from time to time)
1-Gorgar
2-Flash
3-Fire Power
Next 6 I don't have but would like(once again in order of favorites)
4-Scared Stiff (will probably be my next purchase)
5-Bally Kiss (sentimental reasons)
6-Bally Playboy (sentimental reasons)
7-Paragon (sentimental reasons)
8-Centaur (would love one)
9-A nice drop target EM maybe Solar City or similar(sentimental reasons)
10-Stern Family Guy (love the show)
That wasn't as hard as I thought Stern Spiderman and CV would have made if it it was top 12.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 04:01:08 PM by spacejam0 »

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
Excellent posts x you 2 guys above. Great diverse list of games full of personality.
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline StuartT

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
Eight Ball Deluxe  - my first purchase
Centaur
Wizard
Scared Stiff
Haunted House
Roto Pool
Gusher
4 Million BC
Aquarius
Elvira And The Party Monsters

I own the first five and they are keepers.

The last five I don't have is a mixture
The wood rails Roto Pool and Gusher for their theme and pinball history.
4 Million BC a game with zipper flippers.
Aquarius looks to be an interesting layout,
Elvira for the theme and art.

Offline StuartT

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
NOT Aquarius I meant to say Alantis

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
NOT Aquarius I meant to say Alantis

Is on my list too.. stunning looking game that would fair well right next to a fathom. Drops on the LHS and the classic GTB wire rollovers on the RHS.. the game ticks nearly all the boxes

Offline onetaste

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2016, 12:03:15 PM »
I've been fortunate enough to pick up some nice sterns at below today's market prices. I figured they were a safer investment than my shares in the stock market so I swapped shares for pinnies. My current list is
ACDC premium
Iron Man
Tron pro modded
The Shadow
BSD
TWD
Sinbad
Stern Nine Ball
XMen
EBD (project)
I've got all these and I don't want to part with any atm, they are all awesome players. The only ones on my must have wish list are fathom, centaur and maybe fireball 2. I'm in a 2 year queue waiting for nino to restore me his Viking. And I'd love a WPT or Maverick, I like poker and shooting drop targets.