Author Topic: "Dukes of Hazzard" Custom Pinball  (Read 51064 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Re: "Dukes of Hazzard" Custom Pinball
« on: February 03, 2016, 01:43:20 PM »
Since when is pinball politically correct?
Seems to me that the confederate flag is a strongly iconic image that is very closely tied to the theme. Personally I think if a guy wanted to prominently apply the graphic to this particular theme, then he/she should just let it flow to whatever degree they felt was artistic. It's just part of history, right or wrong, good or bad, and when it is purposefully left out so as not to offend, then I'm sorry but to me that's offensive to my sense of free speech.
Are objectified women offensive to half the world's population? Probably. But sorry man (not really) that's just part of pinball. And also very fun to look at.

Do the artwork to celebrate the theme. Please don't be afraid of offending someone. I am not from the southern states of the USA and I'm also not a racist at all. But free speech is a thing and the fear of offending people is a cancer that is whittling away this right, and I'm not kidding. It doesn't have to be a "confederate battle flag" themed game (which might indicate that you are a little too proud of that facet of history), but squelching that particular icon from a Dukes of Hazzard themed game would be a disappointment in my opinion.

It's half the car's paint job! The car is half of the show!!!!

If you wanted to do a WW2 themed game, I would expect that swastikas would be a prominent icon here and there in the artwork. That actually might be a cool game theme come to think of it. Anyway, that too is just part of history. It only becomes offensive and off-track if it saturated in swastika images so as to turn it into more of a skinhead, KKK theme or something. To do a WW2 themed game without swastika imagery would be revisionist and that is evil.

Please don't be evil.

Good taste and political correctness are pretty much opposites in my opinion.

edit to add: OH YEA... don't forget the short shorts too. If that ain't mandatory....

Could not agree more ! Making a statement by deliberately leaving off the imagery is like re writing history without offending anyone. The WWII analogy that would exclude the swastica would be showing ignorance to the theme. sometimes we need to be reminded of our past, so we don't make the same mistakes again.

I love the theme, and the artwork looks simple yet effective. As soon as I saw the colour, it reminded me of General Lee.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia