Author Topic: Stern Production Discussion  (Read 2572 times)

Offline pinsanity

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Stern Production Discussion
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2016, 09:26:15 PM »
However, i reckon this interview with Gary over in NZ at Pincade is great.  The fact that the CEO is getting out among his 'collector/hobby' customers, having a good time and listening to customers has to be a good thing.  Apparently he is also meeting distributors in Australia today.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/national/news/video.cfm?c_id=1503075&gal_cid=1503075&gallery_id=158604

Sorry, but I didn't hear anything that hasn't been said countless times before by the salesman. If he had openly discussed to camera operator/collector concerns regarding affordability or code delays then I would be impressed.

Instead we get the usual allusions to the three legged stool analogy when one of those legs (operators) has just about been ground down to a stump, and new general players who want one in their house but see the cost of entry as increasingly out of their reach so what does that leave you with? The third leg which he is cashing in on by travelling in person across the globe to spruik to them in person whilst at the same time writing the whole trip off as a tax deduction by including a speaking engagement to distributors.

Current favourite machine as always is the one that is on the line - GoT of course then mentions the new game GB which is upcoming that will then take number one favourite spot. Too bad that question wasn't asked when MMr was on the line. Awkward  *)*

Only thing different is that NZ/Australia is now very important to Stern. Much like Melbourne/Sydney/Brisbane/Adelaide is the favourite city of any touring band.

I know for speaking ill of one's God that my "tounge" should be cleft in twain, but like the book says - thou shall not worship false idols.  @@*

« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 09:34:57 PM by pinsanity »

Offline pinsanity

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2016, 09:29:57 PM »
I once had the pleasure of meeting Gary.  While it didn't feel like a pilgrimage, it certainly did feel like meeting a celebrity, or a rock star.  Anyone in their right mind would have shutdown their pinball production in 2008.  Thank God he chose to push through that low.  Rock on Gary.
correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't there a bit of a bail out around then? Backers coming in? I'm hoping with the smaller production runs, high prices that Stern aren't really just trying to max profits until someone decides to retire and close it down. Happened to me.

Yes, Hagerty Peterson a capital investment firm did a bailout.

The word is that a significant stake in the company was part of the conditions for the financial aid, hence the change in production values to maximise short term revenue.

Offline Brunswick Brawler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2016, 09:31:18 PM »
No doubt Stern are in it for the money.  They are a business.  But I feel that Gary is also genuinely wanting to grow pinball because of his love of the game.  This is true of all the new manufacturers.  In 2008, Gary effectively sold part of his company, likely for next to nothing, just to keep it alive.  He had an option to simply 'pull up stumps'.

I'm not a hardcore Stern fan, but I do think they get more criticism than deserved.  Some valid (dimples!) but on the whole they are producing nice looking machines recently.

We at least all agree seeing Stern expand is a good thing.  All of us would hate to wake up to hear they had shutdown.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 09:34:05 PM by Brunswick Brawler »

Offline pinsanity

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2016, 09:40:56 PM »
But if he had pulled up stumps in 2008 it would have been sold for land value, some inventory and a pittance of goodwill as the sales figures would have been in the doldrums.

With outside financial aid you get a cash injection of a few years of artificial growth in a rapidly shrinking market so that it appears impressive on the books and then sell it off for an artificially inflated valuation.

And we never predicted Dick Smith unfolding as it did. This is just a company restructuring, right? Well done Anchorage Capital Investments.  #@#
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 09:48:24 PM by pinsanity »

Offline Brunswick Brawler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2016, 09:50:25 PM »
...but he never did sell, once the company got back on its feet.

Offline pinsanity

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2016, 09:53:37 PM »
Yet.

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2016, 10:14:36 PM »
Stern have made some nice titles that I like and would love to own, but I can't afford to offer my left nut in return. If I'm in it for the good of the hobby, why not appeal to the masses and new comers by making it more affordable and maybe sell 5k units. You'd be able to keep more Mexicans employed. Also you could possibly afford to employ more coders as well???? I don't hate stern at all but do not agree with some of the info that being bandied around for only the sake of it. I cannot believe every title in the last decade by stern is an out right winner. B/w had duds and you don't hear me making like that didn't happen.
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2016, 01:03:36 AM »
Anyone who has run a business turning over millions per annum knows you have your good years and your bad years with some ho hum years in there as well.

Not ever product is a winner but you have to try or you won't fail or succeed.

Different financial markets have different impacts as well. It's been a turbulent 15 years in the USA especially.
Stern is a luxury toy company at the end of the day. They are a supplier of coin op for business operators or fun toys for home users.

It wasn't the financial assistance that kept Stern alive . It was pure Gary Stern passion. The money would be useless without a passionate genius looking forward with a never give up and let's keep getting bigger and better and keep the magic in those boxes rolling along.
If Colonel Sanders is a icon on America for chicken, then Gary Stern should be way way higher up on a Forbes style success list for Company founders and creators of Industry who have brought so much fun and happiness to all ages around the world. Everyone knows Colonel Sanders but it's a shame more don't know Gary Stern.

Running your own business is the hardest but most rewarding thing In the world.

I can relate to Gary cause I know what passion & creativity can bring. Without that you go nowhere.

I think they are doing a great job and are putting out great entertaining products that are affordable worldwide.
They aren't perfect but they are working hard at it. No company ever is. But everyone keeps trying.

If my son created Stern & had it where it is today, you could not be more proud.

When I take my son to the factory I will tell him all his dreams can come true if he works hard and has passion.
The factory is a awesome example of success in 2016. What's not to like in the big picture .

Code is being looked at hard as is all feedback. But Stern is a success story. There is no denying that.

What something to change, write a letter, make a phone call, go meet the designers face to face.
It's worth it to me cause I love the hobby and am proud of it and the positivity it brings to so many people.

Stern are putting out more social media everyday and more videos. The company is going great. A very bright future.
Feels a bit like Willy Wonka and the chocolate factory. They are even giving away any pinball of your choice for sending in a photo of you with your Stern.  Great stuff happening and more to come I am sure.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 01:14:24 AM by Caveoftreasures »
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline pinsanity

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2016, 01:42:19 AM »
I cannot believe every title in the last decade by stern is an out right winner. B/w had duds and you don't hear me making like that didn't happen.

It's really quite absurd to read and impossible to take seriously. But good for a laugh.  @@*

Offline Caveoftreasures

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2016, 03:08:04 AM »
No one has ever said every single title Stern has produced is a perfect winner.
No one has ever said any pinball manufacturer has produced every single title as perfect.

The above post is just another pathetic example of a member carrying on in a delusional narcissistic way.
Nothing to laugh about here. Just continued butt hurt by Insanity.

!!@ !!@ !!@ !!@ !!@ !!@ !!@ !!@ !!@ !!@ !!@ !!@ !!@ !!@ !!@ !!@ !!@ !!@ !!@ !!@ !!@ !!@
Behind every garage door could be a pinball collectors
"Cave of Treasures" 55 in my collection

Into  Stern -JJP - Cars , Road Bikes- Jet Skis - Star Trek n Sci-Fi & Electronics    
Beware of Stalkers & Walkers when playing The Walking Dead

My 7yr old son Hunter is my best mate in the world !

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2016, 09:07:13 AM »
No one has ever said any pinball manufacturer has produced every single title as perfect.

The above post is just another pathetic example of a member carrying on in a delusional narcissistic way.

!!@ !!@ !!@ !!@ !!@ !!@ !!@ !!@ !!@ !!@ !!@ !!@ !!@ !!@ !!@ !!@ !!@ !!@ !!@ !!@ !!@ !!@

Woh  - woh! Steady on there.

On each Stern release the one thing that is a definite is that you will absolutely love it and sing its praises to anyone who hasn't got you on ignore. It is the one thing we can rely on.
That's why you are the last person anyone here would ask for a critique from.. we already know your opinion.
We know how you feel about the next title.. and that's before we know what, when or who.

Why we've even known you to change your opinion on a film because of a Stern title.. Xmen.. Avengers.. one of those. You trashed the film... played the pin.. revisited the film and changed your opinion!

Sorry Cavey.. but unbiased you are not.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2016, 09:11:21 AM »
I cannot believe every title in the last decade by stern is an out right winner. B/w had duds and you don't hear me making like that didn't happen.

It's really quite absurd to read and impossible to take seriously. But good for a laugh.  @@*

That's it for the both of you - this is the final warning for you both - cease with the behaviour. We get it, neither of you like or respect each other, that's your choice. But take it off the forum now or you will be removed from the forum.

“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”