Author Topic: Gottlieb Big Shot EM Resto  (Read 5599 times)

Offline Brettski

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
  • Since I Was A Young Boy I Played The Silver Ball!
    • Strikes and Spares Restoration
Re: Gottlieb Big Shot EM Resto
« on: July 23, 2016, 11:01:31 PM »
Update..

Ok I have cleaned up the playfield and cleaned all the posts, also had enough spare rubbers to kick it off and replaced all the globes with 47's.
The wood rails were removed and sanded then stained with a honey tint varnish to blend back with the existing wood colour in the shooter lane, also the apron came up quite good and usable. That is the playfield organised except for new plastics and pop bumper cap.

Now as I said above this came not working and also being my first EM I have ever worked on started me on a crash course on EM's. Studied endless youtube video's and read the info at http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index1.htm Pin Repair and pinwiki. I also asked questions on a facebook EM page but unfortunately it was difficult for people to provide the required help due to the multiple problems it had. It was a little daunting at first but I went through every relay, switch, contact etc etc and finally got it all up and working, took just over a week but I beat it! I also went through all the coils and rebuilt the chime box as the plungers had seized up. Adjusted target switches, removed and cleaned the pop bumper and gave the flippers an overhaul including new bats

Next was to clean the score reels and replace the bulbs in the backbox, things starting look nice!

The cabinet has been in a place with a lot of cigarette smoke and arrived very yellowed, I decided to give it a clean to see how it looked and was quite surprised how good it came up. Using Gumption and a scourer I loosened most of the yellow stain then with a bit more Gumption and a cloth finished it off nicely. It has a few scratches etc but overall good for it's age and the colours are still strong. I still have the front and one side to do but almost there, quite a bit of work in it.

Finally there is the coin door and legs to clean up, unfortunately the door has a small bit of damage from an attempted break in over the years and is not worth spending any money on so I will clean up the rust and paint it, same with the legs which is what I did on the Charlies Angels legs and they came up great.

This machine has been the cheapest spend so far, on top of the buy price there is plastics at about $100, some paint and cleaning materials. Eventually I will replace the door depending how it looks I suppose. Also I will look at a fresh flipper kit and some coil stops and a few fresh relay coils to smooth things out.

Here are some pics of the playfield and cabinet before and after!

Cheers: Brettski... :)