Author Topic: Are pinballs harder to get?  (Read 6385 times)

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
Are pinballs harder to get?
« on: July 09, 2016, 09:26:25 AM »
Is it me or more an area thing or something else, as I want a alpha numeric or dmd pinball in the $3-4k range as my only pin is getting a little repetitive but don't want to sell it and will be stripping hopefully soon.

I am open minded but seems to be a drought of reasonable priced games ????
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
Re: Are pinballs harder to get?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 10:08:21 AM »
I think some people have an inflated view of the value of their games
If they cannot get more for a game than what they paid for it then they won't sell

A $5000 AFM seems like a bargin these days  &^&
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 10:14:27 AM by Pop Bumper Pete »

Offline oldskool1969

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2016, 10:39:28 AM »
They are getting a lot harder to get, luckily I have a variety now and plenty to keep me occupied for some time to come. I like this HOBBY. Shame it is soon expensive.
People also want too much for their pins as they want their money back for over priced mods, LED's and simply shopping it out. Just like over capitalising on a house.
I have lost money on two pins I have had to move on, no big deal as I really enjoyed playing and letting people experience the game and making them better than when I got them.
If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2016, 10:54:30 AM »
Around 18 months ago, suppliers overseas observed Australian eBay, as we are by far the largest importer of second hand games. Overnight, suppliers Twilight's and Addams doubled in price. In line with the price hike, B Grade and C grade games had price increases. Contacting alternative suppliers, they were doing the same, and had been approached by competing suppliers to buy stock. All because of Aussie Dealer Greed.

Being close to the supplier chain, and knowing spotters in countries that have not been raided, local prices have gone up as suppliers are now locating these games. If you think it is hard now, wait another 12 months.

The flow on effect means that collectors rub their hands together as their Addams they bought for $6500 in 2012, is now worth $9500. The days of "good buying" are almost over. Supply is not keeping up with demand.

Using AFM as an example - I have a trashed AFM that I bought at a reasonable price. I had a Dealer offer me $6,000 "as is". I was not even tempted, as to REPLACE this game would almost cost $6,000.

The BIGGEST issue I'm finding from Customer feedback is the alarming number of "restored" games that have faults upon immediate delivery. A $9500 Addams with worn pop bumper bodies, original caps and flipper parts that were supposed to be "new", but had tumbler media in the plunger link ?

If you think it is hard now, pinball machines are going to cost more and be harder to find. But it is not all doom and gloom. The BEST sales are usually between collectors on forums etc etc.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2016, 01:05:50 PM »
Interesting Nino

Lucky I bought my Playboy for $2200 when I did . Have my name down on the preorder list for a CPR playfield for it , LOL
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2016, 01:07:52 PM »

It's almost not worth looking at ebay now, some of the prices are crazy. I guess though when you could buy an A-list game in the late ninties for under a  couple of grand, they have been exy for some time, just more so now!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2016, 01:28:38 PM »
anyone got a game they want to move on.......

just send me a pm
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 02:10:43 PM by swinks »
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Brettski

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
  • Since I Was A Young Boy I Played The Silver Ball!
    • Strikes and Spares Restoration
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2016, 01:47:16 PM »
Recently while looking for a project machine I found a local bloke selling a machine that I really wasn't interested in, I went and had a look and spotted another machine in the back of his shed that I did want and made an offer on that, first he wasn't interested but an hour later I got the call back! Because a lot of people have multiple machines it is worth just going to look at what else they might have.. :)

Cheers: Brettski... :)

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2016, 05:58:37 PM »
Dunno if this would work, but people could consider a scheme like 'house swaps' people do for holidays. Maybe collectors could loan out/swap a game for 6 months. I know freights costs etc could be a pain but at least you don't sell your game. Personally I can't see it working but who knows.
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline McKie1

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2016, 07:42:26 PM »
Hi Rob. Couple of the guys u met at our place do that from time to time :)

Offline oldskool1969

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2016, 07:46:40 PM »
Swinksy mate, move to WA and you can pop over anytime and you could help with my projects  %$%
You WILL like the BAYWATCH I am working on, pics soon.
If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.

Offline Brunswick Brawler

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2016, 07:52:57 PM »
The price of new machines going up, drags up the price of used machines.

But no B-list 20 year old game game should be worth more than 25% of a new game.

Offline Brettski

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
  • Since I Was A Young Boy I Played The Silver Ball!
    • Strikes and Spares Restoration
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2016, 08:38:42 PM »
Dunno if this would work, but people could consider a scheme like 'house swaps' people do for holidays. Maybe collectors could loan out/swap a game for 6 months. I know freights costs etc could be a pain but at least you don't sell your game. Personally I can't see it working but who knows.

Interesting as I was toying with that idea recently and came up with this..

http://pinballswap.retrofun.com.au/

I actually forgot about it until I read this thread.

I called it Australian Pinball Machine Swap because the Acronym for Pinball Machine Swap just didn't sound right. LOL

Maybe not a viable idea regarding interstate or long distance but in your local area.

The idea is to list any machines you would be prepared to swap out, and others nearby with machines can contact and arrange a meeting and talk about it.

If you think this might be worth a try the website is already setup, costs nothing to try it!

Cheers: Brettski... :)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 08:49:34 PM by Brettski »

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2016, 12:16:17 AM »
I do something similar I don't have the space some lend games to people and just never pick them up hahahaha wish Tim would hurry up and make room for hot shots

Offline Cursed

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2016, 11:58:17 AM »
Always happy to help you out Dan if you need me to store something for you mate.  && && %.%

I must admit I am glad I have most of my room done, the price of pins now is scary!