Author Topic: Are pinballs harder to get?  (Read 6386 times)

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
Re: Are pinballs harder to get?
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2016, 02:06:19 PM »
Always happy to help you out Dan if you need me to store something for you mate.  && && %.%

I must admit I am glad I have most of my room done, the price of pins now is scary!
There are still bargains out there, you just have to be prepared to work on them

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2016, 02:35:21 PM »
They've always been hard to get. When you first start out ANY pinball machine will do and that is pretty straight forward to find. Once you are deep into the hobby it becomes a chase on titles and that has always been difficult.
Ive been collecting projects in Australia for 20 years now and even 2 decades ago I would come across a standard 70's Williams EM sitting on a back deck rotting under the weather and the owner was convinced they would be able to retire on its sale. A $100 basket case is still a $100 basket case!
A fully working and tidy Bally Lost World ( great machine) I sold for $1400 8 years or so back. Id still say that title is worth that amount despite seeing them on Ebay with an asking price nudging $3000. If I had one to sell today, my asking price would not have changed.
Most ive ever paid was $3000 for a woodrail I ended up selling for $1200. The right price there is the $1200.. I got ripped at $3000 but I learnt the lesson!

Offline buzz66

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2016, 01:28:50 AM »
This day was always going to come......Pinball machines are expensive to rebuild in parts alone, let alone the labor involved.

When you could get a neglected but good condition Pinball the prices stayed stable....As time rolls on the games get more and more neglected
to the point where they get parted out, because they are too far gone to rebuild or get into shape.
  Then you get a situation where, in between owners had to spend more time and more money to get there machine tip top.

What you end up with is total junk machines for sale and nothing else because the punters out there like you and me have spent so much Money on a  machine and more importantly so much TIME getting it there...What do you do....you hold onto it,,,, because to sell it and get back less than the money in parts you put in let alone the labor is just not worth it.

Now you have the situation where the supply drys up. We all know what happens then...Prices go up.
When prices start going up, supply slows even more because everyone doesn't want to sell, not just yet. This is called Greed.

This is whats been happening for a while and its far from over.

Other factors are USD and world Economy...for the last 4 years or more investors are parking there money in GOLD and COLLECTIBLES

My White Water is for sale at stupid crazy price right now...But It will sell for $14,000 and I won't have to drop the price and it will sell within 2 years.
Why?
If you have the right machine, restore it with no expense barred and keep it original ( Chrome Coin Door on a DMD Game NOT on)
I spent 75 hours just hand lacing the Wiring Harnesses......99.9% of Buyers could care less, but it shows attention to detail, and anyone can instantly see how much time has been put in and more importantly it sets the machine apart from any other without taking it away from standard.

I'm not catering to the 99%.....The rest of the pinball restorers can go there.

Williams and Bally produced Very Very poor build quailty games....They really are rubbish.
The wiring harness are pathetic, wood work woeful. connectors pathetic, paint work pathetic, plastic pathetic, electronics woeful blah blah blah.
They can't even put a sticker on straight for Christs sake

Who wants a HUO ONLY Machine with everything Cappy & original (Unless it has less than 200 games on it) when some idiot like me is prepared to spend 5K alone in parts and consumables and 200 hours labor just to upgrade and restore a classic that can no longer be bought to a condition way way above when new.

I have only owned 2 Pinballs...White Water and Roadshow.....Both were very good games and highly regarded, but sold for nothing.
The reason is, both machines where too expensive to shop out....WW for the ramps and upper playfield, and RS for the 2 talking heads.
I kept the WW because I knew the day would come when the world would wake up.
World Cup Soccer is another sleeper as is no good gofers.

Remember when no-one would touch Fish Tales

Same might be said for No Good Gofers in 3 years time, Who knows..

You watch what happens next. Having a nicely sanded clean cabinet floor is not going to be good enough in the future.
I know why you do it...To keep it original and give the impression it's new. Bugger that paint the whole thing underneath as well.
Just because Williams does a half baked job doesn't mean you have to. These properly restored Pinballs are going more
to uneducated Buyers, The game is changing.....adapt people

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2016, 08:59:41 AM »
 :lol

Delusions!
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Online Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2016, 09:06:17 AM »

Delusions!

Don't be like that
Hand lacing the wiring harnesses makes the game so much more fun to play
(Though I just asked my brother, he says it should have taken two hours, tops)

Offline Cow Corner

• Forum Posts:
  • Brisbane
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2016, 09:07:36 AM »

Delusions!

Don't be like that

20k by xmas!
" It's not the right time to be sober, now the idiots are taking over"

Offline pinballheaven

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2016, 11:32:03 AM »
 $$(

Offline Toads

• Forum Posts:
  • Shepparton Vic
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2016, 11:46:15 AM »

Delusions!

Don't be like that

Since when did they start calling wite ties hand lacing.

Offline buzz66

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2016, 01:25:13 PM »
Not sure what photo's you guys are looking at but it can't be my pinball machine.
My WW doesn't have one single cable tie.

All 3 looms are hand laced with black Waxed String, each with clove hitch and double reef knot.
Including back Cab and coin door.
Every connector in the entire machine is properly labelled with P touch label maker.

If anyone here thinks they can do the same in under 50 hours then your hands would be bleeding literally.
It's not something you can do in one session.

I'm an Aircraft Avionics Engineer and have been hand lacing Aircraft wiring for the last 30 years.

When my WW doesn't sell, which is quite possible, although at $7,500 in current condition is a far price compared to most
other pinball's currently for sale. Put it this way, if I was in the US and put it up for sale at 5,500 USD it would sell no problem at all.

I would like to trade it for a similar condition Tales of the Arabian nights. Now would be the time before I get to carried away with the Overhaul.
Either way when it's done and not sold or traded it will only ever be played by a serious respective buyer. It will be turned on once everymonth and solonoids and lamps tested via the Menu. Basically it will be a a zero time Mint Condition Machine, and stay that way until traded or sold, sometime in the next 15 years, unless i die in between.
The Cabinet overhaul will start very soon, and the New Playfield swap out including full overhaul will only be done when and if traded or sold.
The machine will very rarely ever see any natural or unnatural light after the Cabinet has been restored.

It will get sold sometime in the next 15 years, that's for sure. You guess is as good as mine as to it's worth when it's 38 years old and like Brand New.

Offline Boots

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Adelaide
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2016, 02:14:32 PM »
When my WW doesn't sell, which is quite possible, although at $7,500 in current condition is a far price compared to most
other pinball's currently for sale. Put it this way, if I was in the US and put it up for sale at 5,500 USD it would sell no problem at all.

I thought it was for sale at $14,000???

Agree Williams wiring and quality was faily poor especially compared to Gottlieb and  appreciate the time and effort involved in doing the lacing as you have done but it adds nothing to the value.
In a lot of circumstances it lessens the value.

Offline buzz66

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2016, 04:15:37 PM »
14 after new playfield. color dmd, driver board, 3d translite, new ramps, cabinet strip, new decals and all the usual back to brand new behaviour.

7.5 k if you want it now. If no-one puts there hand up in the next year.

The Machine will get overdone ( IE Chrome backlatch, chrome cabinet power supply cover, Brand New playfield will get clear coated!)
Things like that.

It's not New in box and all these 20 year old machine are not original, except for the odd NIB someone might have keep for the last 20 years.
No way hand lacing will de-value the Machine.
Writing connector numbers with a marker pen will, but not with P Touch labels.....There is one reason and one reason alone no-one else does it.

It's too time consuming and the only advantage is to put it a rung above the rest.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 04:29:17 PM by buzz66 »

Online Pop Bumper Pete

• Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2016, 05:03:57 PM »
I have no doubt that you have put a lot of work into this game, it is more your opinion of yourself and your work

Our humble host, Nino, has been restoring games for years, but it has only been in the last few that he had deemed his work to be worthy of being called 'High End Restoration's'

Offline Toads

• Forum Posts:
  • Shepparton Vic
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2016, 05:26:10 PM »
Well said Pete.
You can try to justify your price tag all you want here but just remember your talking to a bunch of pinheads who REALLY know what it's worth.
I remember one of Tim's wh2o's (high end restore)being sold on ebay for under half that price.

Offline buzz66

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2016, 05:36:09 PM »
What it's worth and what someone is willing to pay are miles apart.

So you said this guy recently sold a WW for 3,500. Must have been a shitter

I assume you do know that the machine is currently for sale @ $ 7,500

ITS IN BIG RED WRITING ON EBAY AT THE BOTTOM OF THE ADD......YOU CAN"T MISS IT
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 05:40:03 PM by buzz66 »