Author Topic: Stern Ghostbusters Review  (Read 2666 times)

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
Stern Ghostbusters Review
« on: July 22, 2016, 11:00:29 PM »
GAME REVIEW:
I’m not going to repeat all that has been said about artwork, lighting, and sound apart from it is great. I have played both models of GB and must say the extras on an LE/Premium is definitely the way to go as far as gameplay and looks go. Separate ramps, and magna slings, in particular, make the game. Then add the additional slimer movement, etco goggles screen, subway ramp, physical ball lock and moulded toys and why wouldn’t you want one.

Now gameplay.

Coding seems close to complete, if not there as I have played all modes except for the last two wizard modes. All inserts do something and the arrows do instruct the player well in what is expected to complete a mode.
The coding is linear like an arcade game ala Donkey Kong etc as you must complete a mode to proceed to the next. This a good thing as ensuing scenes get progressively more complex and involved bringing in the sense of achievement reward.

GB skill shot is the best I’ve seen in a while as Stern have finally made it a matter of skill and not just plunge and get the reward. You can go for the more difficult top lane skill shot that you have pre-selected and start a mode with a bonus reward or bypass this and shoot directly for the mode you have highlighted to start that scene.

All starting scenes on each ladder are quite simple and quick to complete. They tend to feel like a tutorial of shots for that ladder and train you for the future rungs on their respective ladder.
The ensuing scenes are well thought out, creative and very challenging. For example “He Slimed Me” required shooting the left ramp at least 3 times to boost the bonus, then hit the left orbit, followed by pounding the moving slimer. Sounds simple, but you have time constraints to contend with as well as the shear brutality of the game itself. Keeping the ball alive on this game is tough and gaining control is near impossible.

On top of the modes/scenes, you can collect ghosts to light the inserts running down the middle of the playfield. First 2 simply light scoops to access random rewards or the Negative Reinforcement video mode. I like the video mode as it can provide you with some needed rest and ability to steal some mega points reward. The next 2 inserts activate timed modes which are fun especially for the player who likes repeating shots that when made feel great off the flippers.

The final insert is “Mass Hysteria”, a multiball mode where the flippers are reversed until you hit book stacking captive ball. Then they go back to normal until you hit it again and they reverse etc. This mode really screws with your mind and makes you look like a complete idiot to others watching you play. I thought I’d like it more than what I did (possibly because I’m poor at this mode).

Once you complete all scenes and ghost collections, you are faced with the wizard modes of which I cannot comment on as yet.

Now, just when you think that’s all the things to shoot for, you have 2 hurry modes that are completed by hitting their respective targets; a 4 ball captive ball that lights rewards, locks and add a ball; and a single captive that pops up the Scoleri Brothers targets and later Terror Dog Hurry Up.

Scoleri Brothers mode is annoying as they block shots you probably need to make to complete scenes that have taking you ages to start, but pinball is designed to put up obstacles all the time, otherwise you’d just be rolling a ball around endlessly. They piss me, but I’d hate to not have them in the game.

The main multiball mode is Storage Multiball. I find this easy to achieve most games and the theatrical light show that goes with it, and shaker on the LE is superb.

The Slimer is the only bash toy in the game. It does not come into play (on the LE/Premium) until it is activated in which it will swoop down from the city and then hover around the middle of the playfield while you try to hit it with the ball. Trapping it enables you to start a scene.

Overall, this is a tough, brutal game where shots are tight and must be made on the run and extremely frustrating at times. Cheap drains and airballs a plenty. But get past this and this game is one of the most fun, rewarding and must play again game I can think of. I know its new, but I cannot see myself getting tired of it for a very long time. Longevity to maintain player interest scores a 10/10.
Shot layout is interesting with most shots having a risk component if missed causing chaos and most times, loss of ball. I like this as game times can be short and sweet, rather than just having a flip fest for no reason.
As mentioned earlier, scenes require multiple shots, within the allotted time to progress otherwise you need to start the scene again and continue from where you left off. You cannot just let a scene expire and cheat your way to the wizard rounds.

Stern Ghostbusters Pinball looks to be the complete package and I’m hoping can only get better with future code updates, although I hear is fairly unlikely. Ver 1.05 may be it.

SCORE:
Cabinet Artwork LE 9.2
Backglass Artwork 9.1
Playfield Artwork 9.7
Sound 10
Dots 9.3
Gameplay and Layout 9.8
Fun Factor and “just one more game” 10
Recommendation: got the cash, then what are you waiting for?

BTW here is my latest High Score for possible bragging rights

« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 11:03:03 PM by pinball god »
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline robm

• Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
Re: Stern Ghostbusters Review
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 11:13:11 PM »
Awesome detailed review - thanks for taking the time!

Offline GORGAR 1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
Stern Ghostbusters Review
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 11:00:45 AM »
Geez Rob where's my highest score gone lol ?  My score seems so pathetic now lol . I agree 100% the game is friggin awesome in every respect, that subway ramp is so dam steep its almost vertical. Thanks again for the invite to open this thing of beauty it was a great night with an awesome bunch of guys.

Offline Brettski

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
  • Since I Was A Young Boy I Played The Silver Ball!
    • Strikes and Spares Restoration
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 07:04:21 PM »
I played this today and absolutely loved it, the sounds are great and so is the game play and rule set! The one I played had a big sub fitted and a shaker, holly hell talk about immersive to play!

Cheers: Brettski... :)

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2016, 08:39:14 PM »
Sounds like a good challenger.. thanks for the review! Keen to have a few games on this machine.. ^^^

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2016, 08:52:20 AM »

Great write up Rob. Really sounds like Stern kicked a goal with this game, can't wait to get my hands on some game time on one!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2016, 11:01:00 PM »
A quick update on the review. I've put in a bit of time and have played every scene to completion except for "stay puft". I only got a flip or two in that mode so cannot comment on this although there is youtube video of it.

For shear excitement and pressure cooking pinball, this game has it in spades. The final scenes to we kicked its ass and the prequel to stay puft are just down right tough for your mental fortitude. Without giving any modes away, a player can be faced with making nearly every playfield shot available, then hit a moving slimer several times, and then when you think it must be over, alternating shots are required. And during all this is the madness of trying to control the ball. I've played many titles that one can keep bashing the ball around until you gain control, but not this game, you just don't have time. Try to make a shot while the ball is out of control and miss a shot and it usually means instant death. Losing the ball is always present on your mind and that really adds to the pressure.

A lot of games I've played like my fav TZ involves modes where you repeatedly hit a shot like 'clock mode' etc. GB modes are more a sequence of shots that could involve them to be completed in a strict order and all must be completed in an allocated time frame. Dunno how many times I've had one more shot to do and the time runs out and now you have to complete additional tasks to have the opportunity to start that mode again. That is if you don't stuff up and start a different scene or lose the ball.

That is where the frustration comes in and the pressure/panic becomes even more intense.

If you own this game, you're in for a wild ride, and if you have to pay $2 a game, then see your bank manager for a loan or psychiatrist because you'll probably be a mental mess. The silly thing is the game is fun, go figure???

This definitely should be a top 10 title in my opinion and that's not because I'm a biased owner.

Thanks for listening.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 11:04:40 PM by pinball god »
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline robm

• Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
Re:
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2016, 08:42:00 AM »
Interesting, modes sound a little like transformers style of modes.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2016, 08:59:47 AM »
Great write up mate. I look forward to a few games one day  *%*

Offline salsicha

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2016, 04:48:33 PM »
Excellent review! GB Premium is the way to go...

Offline 4_amusement_only

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2016, 11:00:32 PM »
Went to Zaxs here in Melbourne and played the LE.

Very impressive game overall. Typical Trudeau design - complete originality. The shortened flippers take a little while to get used to, particularly when trying to trap the ball and having to contend with less length.

If anybody sees the owner's LE there (not for sale) it has a huge flaw where the screen printing on the playfield isn't quite right so in certain areas the art is slightly blurred! New playfield has been arranged though.

Typical of Stern is the light front end, so you always seem to throw it around too easily when nudging. Would like Stern to develop a more balanced physical stance and feel more solid like a WMS or GTB.

All in all a great package and hope lots get made. Premium is the pick of the three for value.

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2016, 11:10:54 PM »
it is a cool game

and has regular 3" flippers but a wider gap which is typical trudeau and gives the illusion of smaller flippers
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2016, 10:17:40 AM »
I had the opportunity to play it 2 weeks ago. I was blown away by the artwork. The game itself is typical Trudeau - I love it. I didn't buy the LE due to code issues, but in playing the game initially, code is not that much of a biggie. Would be great to retrofit the colour display on this title.

If I had the $, I would definitely buy this game after playing it. Could be the last of the affordable NIB machines.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline salsicha

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2016, 12:02:44 PM »
I've had a few opportunities to play the Premium on site here in Perth and aside from the air balls it's definitely an enjoyable and captivating game with so much going on.

It's integration of theme with art, sound, and toys is spot on.

I was expecting with all the criticisms of it being a drain monster that I wouldn't enjoy it, which after playing it seemed harsh. Definitely if you don't pay attention or have a momentary lapse in concentration the ball will drain, but hey that's part of the challenge!

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2016, 01:26:25 PM »
Just found one of these onsite while trying to get a haircut.. LOL - left house with son to get both the chop and end up in a shop playing pinball!

Anyway, First impressions are that this looks sensational.. nice bright looking machine. To be honest, it looks fun before you've even played a game.
Now I never read the rules before a game and prefer to just get stuck in and wing it. That's the only technique I have.
After playing a few games, I think the whole machine is balanced quite well.. no screaming rebounds coming back at you STDTM. Ramp shots flow VERY nicely.. couldn't get that damn captive ball though.
The Slimer is a lot smaller than I expected it to be but I found it an easy but satisfying shot.
I didn't get to multiball and had one very random air ball.. not even sure what it rebounded off but it flew right over the RHS flipper, outlanes and into the shooter lane which luckily saved the ball. Had this ball gone out of play id be really pissed and my review would be a lot different.
I like it.. its not cluttered and just looks like a good player which essentially it is.

Air balls could well be an issue.. I was lucky, but that aside, this is a great looking and playing machine.
Gets a thumbs up from me... ^^^