Author Topic: Skateball Rules refresher  (Read 2004 times)

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
Skateball Rules refresher
« on: July 17, 2016, 08:13:48 AM »
I have been trying to fully understand the rules for Skateball and almost there though still a little confused as the manual uses different points for the B A L L and explains some of it differently and I am still a little confused and on the
- outlane specials - what activates these manual suggests spelling skate for the 5th time
- A & B - what are these worth and how to activate
- Star Roll Overs - when are these lit, what activates them
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 08:19:01 AM by swinks »
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Online Ballywannabe

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Perth
Re: Skateball Rules refresher
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 11:58:28 AM »
Have you had a look at this?

&feature=youtu.be

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2016, 01:15:34 PM »
thanks for that, I have checked out before, doesn't mention the roll overs and pretty sure not the A and B

for pinball t-shirts

Offline Steve2010

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2016, 02:02:24 PM »
Jady,

Here goes.

Saucer & SKATE Targets
Game starts with bottom L (20K) already lit.  Dropping the SKATE targets first time then lights the other "L" (30K), and also lights the bottom of the two star rollovers.  If the ball then goes into the saucer (at this stage), you would score 50K points, as both "L" lights would be lit.

Dropping the SKATE targets a second time then lights the A (50K), and also lights the top of the two star rollovers.  If the ball then goes into the saucer (at this stage), you would score 100K points, as both "L" lights and "A" light would be lit.

Dropping the SKATE targets a third time then lights the extra ball light.  If the ball then goes into the saucer (at this stage), you would score 100K points, as well as the extra ball.

Dropping the SKATE targets a fourth time then lights one of the two outlane special lights (which alternate).

Note that once the ball goes into the saucer and collects the points, the B-A-L-L lights will reset to just the bottom "L" lit.  Dropping the SKATE targets after this will once again build up as per above.

An unlit star rollover scores 100 points.  A lit star rollover scores 1,000 points, and also advances the bonus by 1,000 points.

"A"/"B" Rollovers
Rolling over these scores 1,000 points (regardless of whether they are lit or not).  They start off unlit.  First time going over say "A" will then light "A", and subsequent rollovers over "A" will score the 1,000 points, plus will advance bonus 2,000 points each time.  Getting both "A" and "B" lit will then light the spinner for 1,000 points.

There is also a combination of lighting the "A" and "B" lights, and dropping the SKATE targets (just once is needed for dropping the targets).  Doing this will actually light the extra ball light for the saucer.

Also note that a lot of the above is dependent on dip switch setting.  Behaviour (as per the manual) may alter depending on the settings.

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2016, 02:24:25 PM »
Jady,

Here goes.

Saucer & SKATE Targets
Game starts with bottom L (20K) already lit.  Dropping the SKATE targets first time then lights the other "L" (30K), and also lights the bottom of the two star rollovers.  If the ball then goes into the saucer (at this stage), you would score 50K points, as both "L" lights would be lit.

Dropping the SKATE targets a second time then lights the A (50K), and also lights the top of the two star rollovers.  If the ball then goes into the saucer (at this stage), you would score 100K points, as both "L" lights and "A" light would be lit.

Dropping the SKATE targets a third time then lights the extra ball light.  If the ball then goes into the saucer (at this stage), you would score 100K points, as well as the extra ball.

Dropping the SKATE targets a fourth time then lights one of the two outlane special lights (which alternate).

Note that once the ball goes into the saucer and collects the points, the B-A-L-L lights will reset to just the bottom "L" lit.  Dropping the SKATE targets after this will once again build up as per above.

An unlit star rollover scores 100 points.  A lit star rollover scores 1,000 points, and also advances the bonus by 1,000 points.

"A"/"B" Rollovers
Rolling over these scores 1,000 points (regardless of whether they are lit or not).  They start off unlit.  First time going over say "A" will then light "A", and subsequent rollovers over "A" will score the 1,000 points, plus will advance bonus 2,000 points each time.  Getting both "A" and "B" lit will then light the spinner for 1,000 points.

There is also a combination of lighting the "A" and "B" lights, and dropping the SKATE targets (just once is needed for dropping the targets).  Doing this will actually light the extra ball light for the saucer.

Also note that a lot of the above is dependent on dip switch setting.  Behaviour (as per the manual) may alter depending on the settings.

Thanks Steve

That helps alot, but one item still confuses me or I missed something.

"Game starts with bottom L (20K) already lit.  Dropping the SKATE targets first time then lights the other "L" (30K), and also lights the bottom of the two star rollovers."
which bottom star rollovers as only 2 in the top LHS or are you referring to the A & B roll overs.

Also are any points earned off the slings, or off the rubbers behind the drops as well as the rubbers down the rhs lane from the spinner?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 02:28:06 PM by swinks »

for pinball t-shirts

Offline Steve2010

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2016, 04:04:29 PM »
Jady, "A" and "B" rollovers are not star rollovers, the top two LHS ones are.  Yes to the 2nd question.

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2016, 04:08:44 PM »
Jady, "A" and "B" rollovers are not star rollovers, the top two LHS ones are.  Yes to the 2nd question.

was just going what you said about "the bottom of the star rollovers"

for pinball t-shirts

Offline swinks

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
Re: Skateball Rules
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2016, 07:16:17 PM »
here are the complete rules thanks to the help from multiple people

for pinball t-shirts

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
Re: Skateball Rules
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2016, 09:08:30 PM »
here are the complete rules thanks to the help from multiple people

Great work putting that together Jady. I wish there were a few more Skateballs floating around Australia, very cool game.

Offline Steve2010

• Forum Posts:
  • Sydney
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2016, 10:29:02 PM »
Skateball has a lot going for it, lots to do.  It was the first pin I purchased (via this forum, back in 2010), and it is still a keeper 6 years on.  Not many of these around due to low production numbers.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2016, 09:39:58 PM »
Severely underrated game. Playfield ripped straight off Williams Flash with improvements, and then Fathom ripped off Skateball. Fathom is an awesome player, but the artwork is stunning. Not sure why Skateball didn't have as much success as Flash or Fathom. I like the colorful artwork and drop target positioning.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Brettski

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
  • Since I Was A Young Boy I Played The Silver Ball!
    • Strikes and Spares Restoration
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2016, 05:42:34 PM »
Here is an idea that works for me when I am not sure how the rules work or what the gameplay is like before I get a machine sometimes.

I use Visual Pinball simulator and download the game in question and then play it, nothing like a real machine but good for testing etc.

I built this for my daughter a couple of years back and the kids love it and I use it for checking out games, I have also extracted the sounds from the Charlie's Angels game to add into my real machine but that's another story! ;)

Cheers: Brettski... :)