Author Topic: Solar City Project  (Read 4035 times)

Offline Brettski

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
  • Since I Was A Young Boy I Played The Silver Ball!
    • Strikes and Spares Restoration
Solar City Project
« on: July 25, 2016, 10:05:09 PM »
Hi all,
I picked up a 1976 Gottlieb Solar City recently that was an unfinished project with lots of potential.
The guy had painted the cabinet but after 3 attempts at the stencils he gave up and put it up for sale!

Now this suits me fine as I am ok at stenciling and just need to spend a few hours in Photoshop to get it right.

The machine works but has had the credit unit removed, I picked one up from Daniel (ddstoys) and the next thing is to work out what wires go where etc.

It needs a back box back door but thinking of just making a timber one, at least for the time being to keep the racket down.

It has a problem where it doesn't award extra ball but will work on that.

Playfield is quite good with great colours except for the white which has gone that crappy yellowy dirty colour. It also has a clear contact/mylar applied to most of the playfield, due to use it had the dirty line around the edge of the contact which I cleaned out with isoprophyl  alcohol so now it blends really well. The previous owner had replaced flipper bats, pop bumpers, drop targets, white posts and rubbers so all I need is new plastics which are on their way from Pinball Rescue. I also removed the timber rails and sanded them and a fresh coat of varnish applied.

The apron has been freshly painted and a decal applied before I got it too.

The back glass looks good until you turn it on LOL, not too bad but the blue sections have flaked and the previous owner had re painted the blue sections and added led's.
I will clean off the blue paint and touch it up my way and hopefully it will look ok. I feel confident that I can fix this as it is no where near as bad as Charlie's Angels backglass and I was able to sort that one out.

I have started cleaning up the playfield as mentioned and will update as things progress...

Cheers: Brettski... :)

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
Re: Solar City Project
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 10:38:41 PM »
Very cool pick up! I'll look forward to following your resto on this one.  ^^^

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 10:48:16 PM »
Looks real good to me - most Solar City have plenty of wear on the blue BONUS section, yours doesn't. Mylar can be a blessing sometimes.
Great pick up..
 Mines at the neighbours house because I haven't got room

Offline Brettski

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 11:20:50 PM »
Thanks guy's much appreciated!

Hey Retropin,

Any chance you could get me a couple of really clear shots of the credit unit and the wiring.
I have the schematics but also like a visual to help in these situations.

I have a unit to fit and the wires are there but as they say a picture paints a thousand schematics.. :)

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 08:08:28 AM »
Good starting point mate.   Look forward to updates

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2016, 08:33:09 AM »
Very nice project there!

The playfield and backglass look to be in GREAT condition, probably the best i've seen on one of these games having restored a couple myself over the years

I sold mine a couple of years ago, still kicking myself but i needed the $$ at the time.

Offline spacejam0

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2016, 09:58:04 AM »
My first ever pin and yet another one I regret moving on. Great game for the drop target fans.
Looking forward to following this one.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2016, 12:47:51 PM »
Very nice starting point, classic drop target game should come up a treat!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2016, 11:56:34 AM »
Looks like an easy restore for you Brett  *%*
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Brettski

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2016, 10:20:40 PM »
Thanks everyone for your comments and encouragement!

Last night I repaired the issues with the back glass and today I speckled the cabinet ready for the stencils.

The backglass had repairs done by the previous owner, the translucent blue is around the castle thingy had flaked out and it had been painted in but once backlit it looked terrible. The previous owner tried using blue led's but they look crap too so I blocked out all the blue translucent using black over it and the results are quite good. Purists would object but what I had to work with left me no choice. I tried removing the touch up paint but started to remove the good paint so it was not possible. Anyhow if you didn't know or had nothing to compare it to it is quite acceptable.

It came fitted out with LED's which I didn't like so I DeLeded it!, looks much better as I just don't like EM's with LED lights. I have used them in under playfield inserts on Charlie's Angels but that's my limit.

I also started working on the stencil graphics (see pic below)
Not much left now, cabinet stenciling and new plastics and it is almost done.

I am going to try a different approach with my stencils this time, usually I trace it to a big sheet of vinyl but this time I am going to use A3 Laminating Pouches!
I have created stencils before from laminating pouches but not on pinball machines so I will see how it goes but feel quite confident I will get good results.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 10:33:09 PM by Brettski »

Offline Brettski

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2016, 12:30:56 AM »
Today I stenciled the cabinet after quite a few hours of cutting the stencils by hand. It's not perfect but to the untrained eye it should look quite good when it's all back together.
The blue looks a little dark in the pics, it is probably a little darker than original but close enough.

I will finish the other side tomorrow and then put it back together.. in the mean time here is the latest pic.

Stencils were made from creating the artwork in Photoshop then printing out in banner form on multiple A4 pages then stuck together like a jigsaw. Using A3 Laminating pouches the stencils were traced and then cut by hand, using spray adhesive to tack to the cabinet and sprayed with Graffiti paint which is ideal for pinball cabinets due to the high pigmentation and range of colours. Look for Ironlak but there are others.

Stencil cost..

A3 Laminate Pouches - $9.95

Spray cans $8ea

Spray adhesive -$10

Total - $35.95

« Last Edit: August 08, 2016, 12:48:25 AM by Brettski »

Offline robm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
Re:
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2016, 06:50:55 AM »
Looks great Brett!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2016, 08:18:32 AM »
Very nice!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline Brettski

• Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast, Queensland
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2016, 09:47:32 PM »
Almost there!

Next I need to clean up the coin door while I wait on the plastics, also on the list is to re produce the relay and fuse labels for inside the cabinet.

Here is the latest pic of the machine assembled after painting.

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2016, 03:39:39 PM »
Looks great Brett .

Never heard of Ironlak . Who stocks it ?

I am going to try your idea of A3 laminate pouches for stencils  &&

Cheers
Dave
I need more room ! and more $$$