Author Topic: APR Update  (Read 5491 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
APR Update
« on: August 02, 2016, 11:11:02 PM »
Just wanted to provide an update on where I am at. There appears to be a lack of progress on restoration threads and machines. This is partly true. I'm into my fourth year and spent most of my time learning how to run a business, as well as restoring pinball machines. There have been some valuable lessons learned and I've had some personal setbacks along the way.

An analogy of how I became overwhelmed with work was described to me that explains my biggest mistake. The day APR started, I spoke to 100 customers and said "yes" to everyone. I told everyone that their machine would be ready "in 1 year". At the conclusion of that year, I had 10 happy customers and 90 customers that were expecting games. I learnt a HARD lesson, but as it was pointed out to me, it didn't COST me my business or my sanity. The personal issues were HARD to deal with. Some outstanding issues are complex, and need attention.

But the last two weeks has seen some breathing space. As mentioned in another thread, my wife is basically going to do most of the legwork on the RTBB side of things. RTBB is a HUGE undertaking. It would take a very long winded post to explain what we have gone through to keep it going. It is thriving, but hugely demanding. It IS fair to say that RTBB has taken a lot of MY focus away from restoration work. That's my fault. But the only way I know to run RTBB, was the same approach I use for restoration work. Every minor detail is micro managed. There is still a long way to go until I get it where I want it to be. There's been some fantastic support from friends who have turned up with tools in hand and helped out with "fit out" and organization. You know who you are.

Two weeks ago, I re focused my attention back on APR. With some AMAZING help from Tim and Stu at HRP, they have worked on aspects of my High End Restorations. These huge undertakings are now the focus for the rest of the year. I know some of you are currently waiting for completed games. They are all being worked on. There will be a flood of restoration updates. There will be a HEAP of new restorations starting soon. I'm not taking on ANY NEW work unless collectors are willing to wait 2-3 years. I'm not going to rush my work.

A decision was made to cease onsite repairs. We now do NOT do ANY New workshop repairs. We are not reconditioning games any longer. Out focus is Restorations work, or High End Restoration work. That's all we are doing. There's a heap of news I want to share, new developments, ideas, business relationships and a heap of recent arrivals. I can guarantee that APR have made plans to be around for a very long time.

Anyway, I just wanted to let people know that things are "back to normal" with some important lessons learned.  $#$

Four years ago I had a dream and a garage full of pinballs. So much has changed, with a VERY steep learning curve.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline skywalker

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • melbourne
Re: APR Update
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 11:36:00 PM »
Time flies, pretty tough running 2 business on your own, good news on the extra hands helping out  ^^^

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 03:55:56 AM »
Could have told you (and probably did) that you had taken on a HUGE task, but you had to find out for yourself , and find your own solution

Glad to see that you are focused on restorations, as that is where your heart is

Wish you well moving forward

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 08:01:46 AM »
As rewarding as being your own boss can be, it does come with its own issues, and can be a steep learning curb. Great to see APR moving forward!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline GORGAR 1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
APR Update
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2016, 08:10:33 AM »
All the best Nino :) I wish you all the best for the future :) and glad to hear you still have your sanity :)

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2016, 10:16:41 AM »
Could have told you (and probably did) that you had taken on a HUGE task, but you had to find out for yourself , and find your own solution

Glad to see that you are focused on restorations, as that is where your heart is

Wish you well moving forward

I remember that conversation well, Pete ! There was a lot of advise when I started from several people who had been down a similar road. I think you also mentioned that I HAD to take Holidays at some point ! It is difficult to describe, but I'm lucky that I work on pinballs, which was (still is) my hobby and passion. So I have not needed a break (yet).

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2016, 11:14:37 PM »
 ^^^ now get to work  ^&^ good to hear your in a good space now and a sound game plan
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2016, 06:46:29 AM »
Great to hear Nino. The first years were always going to be steepest learning curve. Looking forward to seeing more great APR restos in the future.  ^^^

Offline KBRI1700

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2016, 07:49:58 AM »
Sensational news  ^^^

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2016, 11:26:53 AM »
Don't know how you kept your sanity mate you have done really well considering.   Glad your going to get back into the restos there's no love in picking parts

Offline ktm450

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2016, 07:14:02 PM »
Good to hear mate, can't beat restoring on pinballs for a living  ^^^

Offline 4_amusement_only

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2016, 02:40:19 PM »
Good stuff - looking forward to seeing some resto updates/completed threads and some machines getting outta the way of mine!

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2016, 02:48:03 PM »
Good stuff - looking forward to seeing some resto updates/completed threads and some machines getting outta the way of mine!

+100000

One is done and almost finished with another. Updates will appear as soon as I've had progress on several games.