Aussie Pinball Forums > Restorations

Data East Star Wars High End Restoration

(1/13) > >>

Strangeways:
This game has been in the Restoration queue for a LONG TIME. I did start it a while ago, and it is slowly coming together. It starts off as a standard Container pin with a view to Restore it as a "Nearly In Box" Restoration wit ha twist - A "Black Version"

Objective

This machine needs new cab art. The new owner wants a BLACK version of the artwork, a perfectly clearcoated playfield with several toys and add ons that just keep growing. Latest addition will be a Colour DMD. This game will certainly be a "one of a kind".

Condition report

Cabinet - 4/10 - Not presentable. Lots of scratches, divots and accidents all over the headbox.
Playfield - 8/10 - Considerable wear around the outholes
Electronics - 5/10 - A few hacks and signs of poor maintenance.

The Starting point

Headbox has had some accidnets ;

Wear around the outholes

Here is where things interesting. Since we already know the playfield needs to be completely stripped, we need to label every wite, part and lamp socket. Along the way, many parts are founds that are wrong, broken or worn. I take hundreds of photos of every game - even if I've done the same title many times over. In the photo below, the kicker assembly is worn, rusted and has some running repairs. The spring is also the wrong tension.

Every coil is labelled ;

Interesting new mounting holes !

Targets have taken a belting !

Every post and mini post is measured and recorded ;

Broken plastics - While this title was in the Q, the plastics were released by CPR.

Outhole damage ;

Board Hacks - Typical areas around the power supply. GI connector also fried..

More labels !

Front of the cabinet is a bit rough.

Stripped cabinet. Ready to be stripped back and repainted.

Headbox..

So here is the plan..

Playfield goes across to Tim at HRP for general refresh and clearcoat to the highest standard. The cabinet also heads across to be repaired and restored by Stu. Legs and fittings will be powdercoated. Modern Stern siderails will be powdercoated to the "stern LE" standard..

Meanwhile a TON of boxes of mods, enhancements and toys arrive..  @@^

4_amusement_only:
Wow, resto work is flying along! Good stuff and using tim and Stu really expedites the process

oldskool1969:
I think you were too kind on condition report, what a stinker.  @.@

Cursed:
Wow, keen to see how this turns out.

Love the 'black' version idea. Will look much better..... ^^^

Strangeways:

--- Quote from: oldskool1969 on August 27, 2016, 09:10:21 AM ---I think you were too kind on condition report, what a stinker.  @.@

--- End quote ---

I have another Star Wars that is far worse  %.%

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version