Author Topic: JJP's 3rd machine is "Dialed In"  (Read 35752 times)

Offline solar value

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: JJP's 3rd machine is "Dialed In"
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2016, 09:51:32 PM »
I also played Dialed In! last Sunday. I thought it was excellent.

The thing that struck me right away is that the colour scheme is very vibrant, it's mostly primary colours, and this makes it look very fun and inviting from across the room. It has a comic book feel to it, which is reinforced by the title font and other details such as the bonus screen being a black and white sketch of the city.

When you get up close you start to see the enormous amount of detail which has been put into the game. The playfield is packed with high quality moulded toys. The energy company mascot who blocked your shots was really cool and was nicely lit. The Einstein theatre which used the pepper's ghost effect was very clear. Some of the toys had cool little details such as the drones which had spinning propellers and flashing lights. The playfield is very well lit. There are lights and flashers everywhere including chaser lights on the ramps and the whole game sparkles with really cool light shows. The plastics have a lot of nice details on them which are reminiscent of Lawlor's other games such as Whirlwind and Funhouse.

The game shot really nicely, the ramp shots were really smooth. The magnet over near the drones gave the ball some random action. It was pretty easy to work out what to do. The LCD and phone toy kept you informed of what you needed to shoot.

One interesting thing which I noticed was that all the playfield elements also appear in the cityscape on the LCD. The pop bumpers are the tops of three buildings, the Einstein theater is on one of the streets and the electricity mascot is part of a sign on another building, it's really clever.

The whole game just looks next level, more modern and polished than any other game I have seen. The things that people have been complaining about on Pinside (the name, the guy with the phone and the phone toy itself) are not a huge part of the game and it all works really well together when you actually see and play it in person.