Author Topic: JJP's 3rd machine is "Dialed In"  (Read 35633 times)

Offline solar value

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: JJP's 3rd machine is "Dialed In"
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2016, 09:51:32 PM »
I also played Dialed In! last Sunday. I thought it was excellent.

The thing that struck me right away is that the colour scheme is very vibrant, it's mostly primary colours, and this makes it look very fun and inviting from across the room. It has a comic book feel to it, which is reinforced by the title font and other details such as the bonus screen being a black and white sketch of the city.

When you get up close you start to see the enormous amount of detail which has been put into the game. The playfield is packed with high quality moulded toys. The energy company mascot who blocked your shots was really cool and was nicely lit. The Einstein theatre which used the pepper's ghost effect was very clear. Some of the toys had cool little details such as the drones which had spinning propellers and flashing lights. The playfield is very well lit. There are lights and flashers everywhere including chaser lights on the ramps and the whole game sparkles with really cool light shows. The plastics have a lot of nice details on them which are reminiscent of Lawlor's other games such as Whirlwind and Funhouse.

The game shot really nicely, the ramp shots were really smooth. The magnet over near the drones gave the ball some random action. It was pretty easy to work out what to do. The LCD and phone toy kept you informed of what you needed to shoot.

One interesting thing which I noticed was that all the playfield elements also appear in the cityscape on the LCD. The pop bumpers are the tops of three buildings, the Einstein theater is on one of the streets and the electricity mascot is part of a sign on another building, it's really clever.

The whole game just looks next level, more modern and polished than any other game I have seen. The things that people have been complaining about on Pinside (the name, the guy with the phone and the phone toy itself) are not a huge part of the game and it all works really well together when you actually see and play it in person.

Offline oldskool1969

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
« Reply #46 on: December 06, 2016, 10:37:10 PM »
Stop it, I am getting a chubby  && Hopefully one makes it to WA for me to have a whirl. Love love love original themes.
If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.

Offline 4_amusement_only

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2016, 03:19:15 AM »
Played the game about 10 times today. The most remarkable aspect to me was the smoothness of the ball action. Compared to say Hobbit, the ball stayed very planted and the ramp shots are very smooth. Jam packed full of shots and toys. Nice references to games of previous PL years throughout. Plays like a restored mid 90's BW with a bit more finesse. The game code is very basic and I am sure it will be full of stuff to do once complete.

The original theme is very questionable for all the possibilities. The mobile phone plays a bigger part in my opinion to those reviews previous. The PF phone is regularly ringing, the text and phone graphics resemble that of an iPhone, there are mobile phone references on both sides of the cab including headbox and interaction with characters is completed using the phone. Sticker on glass to enable phone control. Phone phone phone. Can't get away from it. It's a major part of the game and its using that device to appeal to a different generation of player. If anybody knows anything about Pat, that is he will always have it in this roots that the Pinball Machine is a device designed for the operator to make money. Even though the home market is big, the greater public appeal is what interests him more and he has created a game that tries to cater for this. The camera taking photos of my head while playing is gimmicky and gets old quick. The title almost blurs the lines between reality and fantasy and for that the machine suffers IMO.

Underneath the PF is well built and given the machine I played was the number 1 prototype, I was surprised to see all the components assembled with minimal errors. Fit and finish of cab was a bit off 100% for JP standard but that will improve for production machines. Cab legs are unique to this game at 30 inches. Provided the front and rear casters are fully wound in, the machine is sitting at its optimal slope of 6 degrees.

Personally the theme does absolutely nothing for me. If one was not so fussed then there is a top unique machine out there for them. 38 sold so far including 6 or so being the collectors edition. Good amount of Dialed In pins going to Aussie homes.

Offline Cursed

• Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
« Reply #48 on: December 08, 2016, 06:11:05 PM »
Great review Chris, agree completely.

Great to hear so many are coming here.

Offline 4_amusement_only

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2016, 10:02:39 PM »
Thanks Mic. Come around soon and play some pins mate

Offline Cursed

• Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2016, 05:59:59 PM »
Thanks Mic. Come around soon and play some pins mate

Cheers mate, sounds good!

Likewise, considering you missed out on coming over for my meet earlier this year. Got a nice Roadshow you can play/compare?  ^^^

Offline solar value

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2017, 12:23:49 AM »
Have a look at this everyone, we're in a new era at last...

(More videos at this link)

Offline solar value

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2017, 10:32:04 PM »
This is in production now. Official trailer:

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
« Reply #53 on: June 10, 2017, 06:35:56 PM »

about time to get a true pinball promo like from the past. The stern making of's are great generally but sometimes you just want to see a snippet of the game but not in 30 seconds.

Still don't like the theme but gameplay I've seen seems good
Still loving my Metallica Premium