Author Topic: HRP Centaur Restoration...  (Read 3869 times)

Offline el_timbo86

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
    • Hot Rodded Pins
HRP Centaur Restoration...
« on: October 19, 2016, 12:07:51 AM »
Hey Guys,

The following is one from a while ago. I have finally got around to getting a heap of photos off an old hard drive so i will post them here as time permits.

This is the supplied game unpacked from the pallet and up on legs...

Some detail of the game as received... many of the game parts were already stripped, and supplied in garbage bags... good fun... &^&

Rust is the obvious one here...So much corrosion on everything. It had been sitting a long time, and somewhere damp...

Fast forward a little, and the cabinet is stripped. All metal was sent to be replated, powder coated etc etc Whatever looked factory'ish' was the directive here...

Lower cabinet was trashed, so a replacement was prepared. Here is the original ready for documentation...

We saved the original back box, re-squared and reset...

I think at the time we were also doing a cabinet for a Paragon. I think the owner is a member here on AP...

We were lucky enough to be supplied with a reproduction playfield. Without it this really wouldve been a difficult project to commit to.
Here I am stripping the original playfield of parts, and similarly to the cabinet - getting parts out to vendors...

mmmm...plenty of unique assemblies and all the rest...

Stripping and documenting the breakdown of the mechs. There is also a big mug of tea to help keep me sane...

Mechs removed...

Reproduction playfield was refinished with our own clear coat process and sat aside for a while until we lined everything else up...

Breaking down more sub-assemblies, they seem to be never ending on games of this era...

Skipping over to this part of the project and a replacement lower cabinet has been built...

I'm really bummed i dont have much between then and this point in the project, but the cabinet has been stenciled and assembly has begun...My Elvira waits patiently in the corner for some free time (yeah right)

Playfield assembly begins. All new sockets and braid, connectors etc anything to get this thing back to some sort of reliable state...

Fast forward again, wiring going down...

Mechs going in now...

Topside coming back together with its share of new components...

New boards, and transformer components refreshed...

Cabinet is going through final stages of assembly...

Lamp panel restored and new components fitted out...

Door...enough said...These are a restoration feat in themselves, I know Crashramp has done a number of these...well done man  @@*

Rebuilt, re-plated and installed. I left the sticker off as I thought it looked cleaner without it. Personal preference, easily installed...

Nearly there...

Powered on...
NOTHING  :tumble: @@^

'Nothing' is probably a little dramatic - but the game was riddled with problems. I didnt have the opportunity of powering the game up on arrival as it was delivered mainly stripped to me.

As most of you know, Hot Rodded Pins works closely with Nino at Australian Pinball Restorations - and this era of game is without a doubt his specialty. He puts a massive amount of trust in HRP to deliver on his playfield work etc, and it was great to be able to explain our situation, and have him welcome our project with such confidence.
The decision to have APR take over for this final stage of the project was discussed with the client, signed off and the game was delivered to APR for final testing and adjustment.
As for the specifics of what the game needed, Nino may chime in here.

I would also like to give a thank you to the great ddstoys for his role in this area of the project. He gave so much time to fault finding on Centaur - thanks so much man  $!&

APR advised that the job was done, and ready to collect... I made the trip to collect and set the game up for final photos when we got it back to the shop. I played it too, its an AWESOME game with some very hard rules to beat!

Thanks again to everyone who helped on this one, certainly a very very tough project but extremely rewarding at the same time. Thanks again guys...

Tim
HRP

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Re: HRP Centaur Restoration...
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 12:16:29 AM »
Looks ok I guess  ^&^

Offline GORGAR 1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • BROOKFIELD-MELBOURNE
HRP Centaur Restoration...
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 05:11:35 AM »
Awesome job HRP :) I love this game and play it whenever I see one which isn't often as there rare these days. This game would look awesome with PDI glass as this stuff is amazing, have you thought about offering it as an option on resto's or would you in the future?

Thx Peter.

Offline ktm450

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 07:00:23 AM »
Amazing job as always mate  ^^^

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 07:47:08 AM »
Looks great
The art on centaur is always stunning, a restored game , even more so

Offline Crashramp

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Albury
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 07:48:46 AM »
I saw this game a number of times along its restoration journey and the finished game looked amazing.   @@*

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2016, 09:00:47 AM »

Can't recall if I saw this at Tim's or Nino's, but what I remember is that playfield - spectacular!!

The completed game is amazing, well done guys.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline el_timbo86

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong, Victoria
    • Hot Rodded Pins
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2016, 09:41:59 AM »
Awesome job HRP :) I love this game and play it whenever I see one which isn't often as there rare these days. This game would look awesome with PDI glass as this stuff is amazing, have you thought about offering it as an option on resto's or would you in the future?

Thx Peter.

Thanks Peter, I have seen the PDI glass in a few machines and it is a massive enhancement over the standard stuff. Would certainly consider it as an option for customers down the track as it seems to be the hot ticket at the moment. Thanks again.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2016, 01:28:08 PM »
Glad to see a classic Restored to this level. As Tim mentioned, I had the privilege to work on this game, and to be honest, I spent more time looking at the game than playing it ! It did have some switch matrix issues which we related to the front door credit button wire shorting to the door, and from memory a drop target assy switch was also shorting to earth.

We did give it a thorough test, and the only other requirement was the correct value coil for the ball kicker (from under the shooter lane). This is a specific coil only used on this game.

I see a lot of "restored" games, and honestly, this is the best Centaur I've ever seen. Pleasing to see Tim's work is faithful to the original rather than blinged up with that "after market" look. Well done Tim and thanks for sharing  @@*
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline coon82

• Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2016, 02:08:50 PM »
Stunning.   *%* ^^^

I bet the owner is more than happy with how it came up.

Wanted:   Black Hole (1981Gottlieb)

Offline Cursed

• Forum Posts:
  • Tasmania
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2016, 05:43:49 PM »
Awesome work as usual!

Thanks for sharing these projects as it is great to see what a machine 'can' look like.

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2016, 10:28:25 PM »
WOW!! VERY nice  @@* @@*

Offline oldskool1969

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2016, 11:10:15 PM »
I normally don't like this style of artwork, BUT, this game is not only killer to look at. It is an absolute ball tearer to play
Whoever the lucky fellow is, CONGRATULATIONS! Best game ever  ^^^
If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.

Offline MartyJ

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2016, 06:45:50 PM »
Great work Tim & Co.  I've seen this in the flesh and the photos do not do it enough justice.  By far the nicest Centaur I've ever seen!   *%*

Offline Pinnacle

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2016, 12:18:58 PM »
Great looking restoration guys. A credit to all involved.  I'm interested to know the background of the WH20 in the background.  The bubbled foil on the topper looks like the one I came into possession of a few months ago.  I know you guys did the clear coat on my playfield. Cheers.