Author Topic: Some history of Capcom / IPB's Big Bang Bar  (Read 4069 times)

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
Re: Some history of Capcom / IPB's Big Bang Bar
« on: November 02, 2016, 01:27:43 PM »

One of the reasons BBB has a special place for me (aside from being maybe the coolest theme ever and amazing artwork!) was the friendship it helped foster with Greg. We discussed the progress many, many times, and helped each other "keep the faith" when no progress was seemingly happening.

When the games were released early to Europe, I think about 150 other owners breathed a sigh of relief to know these were really doing to be completed.

I still recall meeting up with Greg in Melbourne to collect our games. I organsied the shipping for both of our games by air. The US games were either being shipped or collected, and those shipped left a day early. They arrived amazingly quick (like the next day I think). Due to timing and time zones, I ended up being the first person outside the production team and Europe to play a game!!

The person talking on that podcast suggested that the loss Gene incurred bringing this game out ultimately lead to his bankruptcy. While I don't know all, I do know quite a bit of what went on much later, and suggest that the GFC followed by some deals with the wrong people did that, not BBB despite the loss he incurred a few years earlier. On that point, I will relate what Gene's wife said to me just after the game was released. I called them to thank them for seeing the project through. Gene was not there, so I spoke with his wife. I did comment on his integrity in shipping games at the agreed price, despite the loss on every game. I asked her how Gene was feeling given the loss. As close to word for word as a recall, this was her reply:

"Loss? What loss? I have never seen Gene happier than he is today. We haven't lost anything, Gene did what he set out to do - we won ......... the money? Small price for what Gene has achieved."

“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”