Author Topic: Vinito's back.... his front too. While I'm here, $$ question about EBD  (Read 1497 times)

Offline vinito

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Kansas City, KS USA
Hi folks. Very long time since I popped in last.
I've been pretty much out of pinball for years now, but somebody's selling an Eight Ball Deluxe near me and I'm kind of interested since I liked playing it back when it was new. Yeah I'm old. I played my first pinnie back in 1976. You'd think I'd be a decent player by now... you'd be mistaken. But I digress.

So this machine looks like it's in halfway decent shape but I'm sure it needs freshening. Also, it's a "limited" so it has that different cabinet setup, thus not as sought-after as the original. But I'm kinda wanting it just for playing anyway so that doesn't bother me all that much. I would prefer the full backglass because of the art thing, but beggars and choosers and all that, etc.
 I think I can get this for $1,800 to $1,900 USD (~2,600 or so AUD). I know pins have skyrocketed since I last looked, so I'm totally out of the loop. Is that a decent price for this title or a gouge?
 I'll try to show a picture. Seems like attachments aren't working right.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2019, 05:43:44 PM by vinito »
I feel more like I do now than I did when I first got here.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
 %)% Back !

Might be a question to ask on Pinside as US prices and Aussie Prices don't exactly correlate. I would suggest AUS$2500 would be the going rate for an average EBD LE with PF wear etc and this one looks better than most. Standard EBD are reaching AUS$6-7K, so if it is the gameplay you are after, this machine looks good to go.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Pinballer

• Forum Posts:
Hi Vinito, good to see you interested in pinball again. Did you ever get around to producing the dies to cutout insert masks to help with touching up the black keylines on playfields?

Offline vinito

• Forum Posts:
  • Kansas City, KS USA
Hey Pinballer. No, I never did accomplish that. Life changed and so did work. I'm constantly swamped just trying to catch up so never got ambition enough to really even start. I strongly doubt I ever will.

If a guy wanted to, he could make some round hole cutters using simple pipe. You'd have to figure out a way to spin it or have a lathe, but the cutter itself is simpler. You just find some metal pipe such that the desired cut diameter falls anywhere between the inside and outside diameters of the pipe walls. Basically you could use a file if no better tools are available. Just use a round file on the bore and a flat file on the outside, and while the pipe is spinning, bevel the outside and inside to a sharp cutting edge. If the resultant cutting edge is too small, you bevel the inside more to push the cutting edge outward and vice-versa if it's too large. You can just fiddle back & forth until it's the correct size.

Once you get the circle cutters made, you can simply stick some masking tape to some rubber or other cutting mat, then (the important part) just push the cutting edge down and SPIN the cutter slightly to cut the circle out. If you do like Clay did and whack the cutter with a mallet, you'll smash & roll the cutting edge, plus the cut won't be as clean either. I explained this to him at the time, but as you might already know, he's a little bull-headed.

If you want a physical ring to align the inner/outer circles, I suppose these days a guy could 3D print a simple ring thing to aid that.

Thanks on the price advice. I'm not sure yet if I'm even interested in having a pinball machine again, but I might look at the thing tomorrow anyway. Been blowing money on a slightly more expensive "hobby" lately. Here's a video showing my latest toy, just picked it up a couple days ago.

I saw machines like this playing soccer in a video a while back. It would be interesting to set up something near a hill and see if you could set up a pinball game!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 03:04:19 PM by vinito »
I feel more like I do now than I did when I first got here.