Author Topic: Hello, looking to get started  (Read 2019 times)

Offline aaronmaestri

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
Hello, looking to get started
« on: December 23, 2016, 11:29:53 AM »
Hi everyone, I have lurked on this site off and on for a few years.
I have always loved pinball but have never had the space to consider owning one. I have spent the past few years restoring vintage espresso machines instead.
Now i have moved to a larger place in Sydney (northern beaches), the possibility of owning a machine is a little closer. Problem is they are getting quite pricey and i still have to convince the wife that it would be a good idea. I have been considering an "almost too far gone" project machine. The first time i looked into a machine i was scared off by all the wiring, but i am slowly feeling more confident after more in-depth espresso work and reading pinball articles on line. I have access to CNC machines and commercial screen printing so I figure a restoration is a possibility for me - though i know it would be a steep learning curve. Id be interested in learning where people are buying their machines? I'm guessing its a closely guarded secret but its worth asking anyway, only things i can find are all dealers that restore and resell and this is out of my price range. Anyone got any other sources they are willing to give up?

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
Re: Hello, looking to get started
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2016, 12:00:59 PM »
IMHO it is best to start with a working game, your second machine can be a fixer

Nothing worse than an unplayable game taking up space
Also there are games that can be fixed (you CAN buy parts) and games that cannot be fixed (parts are NOT available, and will never be)

As for finding games, work out what era games you like, modern DMD , late 70s solid state, electromechanical.
Then make a list of 6 games that you like and keep an eye out for them
« Last Edit: December 23, 2016, 12:03:39 PM by Pop Bumper Pete »

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2016, 12:23:40 PM »
 $.$ and  %)% to AP.

Prices have been inflated across the board. Getting your first pinball now is an expensive supersize, however, if you are patient, the right game will come at the right price. The market slows down around now as no one has any $ due to Christmas. So you might be able to snag a good deal on Fleabay or Bumtree.

You can always buy Projects - but keep in mind that many projects are onsold because they are basket cases. Lots of examples of EMs missing chimes, score motors and other parts which are difficult or impossible to locate.

Ask lots of questions.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2016, 02:05:28 PM »
Price of SS and DMD has gone stupid while the EM market appears to remain unaffected.. it MAY have even come down in pricing.
Ebay auction of a WMS TRIPLE STRIKE in Toowoomba ended at $587.
Tony at Pinball Shed struggling to off load some EMs that are sub $1000.
So long as the game is complete mechanic wise, an EM project is a great way to get into the hobby

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2016, 04:02:49 PM »
Price of SS and DMD has gone stupid while the EM market appears to remain unaffected.. it MAY have even come down in pricing.
Ebay auction of a WMS TRIPLE STRIKE in Toowoomba ended at $587.
Tony at Pinball Shed struggling to off load some EMs that are sub $1000.
So long as the game is complete mechanic wise, an EM project is a great way to get into the hobby

Sheesh - That sounds like a bargain if it was a 7/10.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia