Author Topic: Whirlwind Restoration  (Read 18873 times)

Offline Slash

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: Whirlwind Restoration
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2017, 06:16:38 PM »

Thought it was time for an update.  I finally got my decals on a couple of weeks ago.

I decided to paint the whole cab blue before putting them on.  I know I could have just done primer and then sanded and just painted it blue near the edges where the decal would be trimmed, but I thought an extra coat of paint and then further sanding would help to fill in any further spots I might have missed (despite hours and hours of sanding and filling).

Yes I also painted the inside of the cabinet entirely.  I know it's not to everyones liking but the bottom was quite stained and ugly even after attempted cleaning, so I decided to paint the whole ting.

Im very happy with the Retro Refurbs decals.  Although they were damaged in shipping as you can see in a couple of pics, they were creased from the postage cylinder being crushed.  But some heat from  hair drying as I applied them (I applied them using the wet method), and the wrinkles disappeared as you can see from the pics of the same area.

I still have to cut out the bolt holes etc but I am tidying up the cabinet hardware in the meantime so they will get done when it's time to start putting things back in.  You can notice a bulge in one pics of the backbox, but that's simply from where there is a bolt hole behind it waiting to be cut (its not an air bubble).

I ended up using a satin finish with the paint and I am quite happy with it.  I also don't believe I got any air bubbles.  All the hours of prep work paid off!!

I also paid for my new CPR playfield earlier in the week  $#$