Author Topic: Whirlwind Restoration  (Read 18753 times)

Offline Slash

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
Whirlwind Restoration
« on: January 06, 2017, 12:51:26 PM »
Thought it was time I started working on my $400 Whirlwind project I picked up approx. 18 months ago. 

So far I have stockpiled a new set of ramps, new set of plastics, new translight and I am on the list for a CPR Playfield (which according to CPR is at the CNC cutting stage - but who knows could be a year or more away before it's ready).  I intend to pick up a new topper too at some point.

So given I am going the new playfield route and can't do anything on that until it's done, I figured I should get the cabinet ready in the meantime.  I intend to buy cabinet decals, so will need to get the cabinet prepped.

Here is the cabinet currently

I regrained the side rails before I took them off and they came up nicely so I should be able to resuse those no problems.  But I had a couple of questions:

- I would appreciate recommendations on where to purchase the best quality decals from for the cabinet?
- Is there an easy way to get the Williams serial number sticker off the back of the cabinet?  I was able to peel the one off inside the cabinet almost completely in one piece so I intend to put that back in once it's finished.  It would be nice if I could get the back one off without too much hassle also?  Unlike the one in the cabinet this one is stuck on firmly though?
- Is there a rattle can that matches that Williams blue nicely that I can use for the areas that don't have decals?

Offline swinks

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Lake Macquarie, NSW
Re: Whirlwind Restoration
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 02:46:56 PM »
Nice to see another resto

a pinsider J_M_ can print off new serial number decals - did a set for my creature, if not to different maybe he can help out.
https://swinks.com.au

for pinball parts (reproduction & mods)
for pinball t-shirts

Offline Slash

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 04:01:59 PM »
Awesome thanks for the tip I will look into that  ^^^

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 05:03:31 PM »
For the cab decals just buy the Next Gen II decal set from Mr Pinball. You can get a signwriter etc - but there's a whole lot of hassle doing it that way.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Slash

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2017, 03:33:00 PM »
Had a query about the prep for the decals.  I have been sanding and filling the cabinet and backbox for what feels like an eternity.  Finally got nice sharp corners & edges and everything else as smooth as I can get.

I have started with a primer on the backbox and sprayed that then sanded again lightly then sprayed more primer on again.  Do I sand again lightly before putting on the main coat of blue paint? 

Also given that the decals are going to go over the sides and front do I still spray that blue as well or just leave those areas with primer on?  If I do spray them blue do you sand even that final coat lightly before applying the decals?

Any advice would be appreciated.  Cheers

Offline robm

• Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2017, 06:47:24 AM »
I sand the primer very lightly with 400 or 600. I tend to leave anything just with primer that will be covered with decals as it is just wasting paint.  I do the corners and edges in black so when you trim the decals back it is black and not grey primer.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline Slash

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2017, 09:07:01 PM »
Thanks for the advice Rob, your cabinet restoration and decals come out great, so I will do as u suggest.

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2017, 09:40:44 AM »
Had a query about the prep for the decals.  I have been sanding and filling the cabinet and backbox for what feels like an eternity.  Finally got nice sharp corners & edges and everything else as smooth as I can get.

I have started with a primer on the backbox and sprayed that then sanded again lightly then sprayed more primer on again.  Do I sand again lightly before putting on the main coat of blue paint? 

Also given that the decals are going to go over the sides and front do I still spray that blue as well or just leave those areas with primer on?  If I do spray them blue do you sand even that final coat lightly before applying the decals?

Any advice would be appreciated.  Cheers

Since the inside of the cabinets need to be repainted, I would paint the cabinet the factory colour.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Slash

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2017, 10:18:10 AM »
I will be obviously be painting the inside too, but had a question.  Do you tend to paint the whole inside of the cabinet (which wasn't how it was done in the factory), or just paint the inside walls with a bit of overspray going down towards the bottom of the cabinet?

Or does it tend vary depending on the condition of the cabinet?  If it's pretty rough/dirty and dinged up needing repairs on the bottom or lower inside walls then I imagine this would push you towards completely painting the inside the factory colour?

Offline robm

• Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2017, 04:54:59 PM »
Everyone will have different opinions on this - i tend not to get too excited about keeping things 'original' - at the end of the day, the minute you put in LEDs, new decals or anything custom (even if it improves gameplay or protects things) it is no longer original.

My personal opinion is the neatest look is black (or colour on some machines) inside the cab sides, down to natural timber for the base. However sometimes i paint the base black - in my latest Monster Bash, it was because i had the thought of installing the cab decals on the inside (see restoration thread for pics) and thought it would contrast nicely. Other times i have simply been too lazy and not masked it up!

Offline Slash

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2017, 02:46:36 PM »
Well after endless sanding and filling, sanding and filling then priming and sanding etc, I am ready to paint the cabinet blue

My decals have also just arrived so I was intending to get the paint colour matched to those. Can anyone advise on the best type of paint.  Do I get a water based enamel?

I was also thinking given I have gone decals (yeah I know the art was originally silk screened ono the cabinet but I don't think it was salvageable given the condition of the cabinet and artwork).  So I was thinking I should get a high gloss finish on it since the decals are obviously "shiny".

Thoughts?

Offline oldskool1969

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2017, 08:35:01 PM »
I have always been told satin acrylic? Haven't done my GI yet, but will watch your cab restore and see what you do.
Good luck Dude.
If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.

Offline Slash

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2017, 12:33:34 PM »

Started to paint the cabinet finally!!!

Decided to completely do the inside as well. Here are some early pics, I've still got to give it a second coat on the inside.  Figured I would start in there since it's hidden and I can perfect my technique a bit, before moving to areas that are more visible.  It was quite late in the afternoon when I took those pics so it looks a bit darker than it is in person.

I've also taken a pic of one of the decals.  I ended up buying them from Retro Refurbs in the UK. I believe they acquired the design files from the original artist for them.

Offline Slash

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2017, 12:38:04 PM »

On a completely unrelated note, I managed to cross off a Bucket List item a few months ago when I finally met this guitar legend!!

Offline Slash

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2017, 06:26:57 PM »
These also arrived today