Author Topic: Indiana Jones Rescue  (Read 6323 times)

Offline robm

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
Indiana Jones Rescue
« on: January 15, 2017, 10:19:53 PM »
Well i thought i would kick off another resto before the next bub comes along, or at least get a start on the shed stuff to do with the resto.  I had intended on keeping this Indy for myself, however i am running out of room in the games room, and had a local very keen. So once the resto is done (and play tested!) it will go.  This machine came from this thread http://aussiepinball.com/index.php?topic=10992.msg143925#msg143925

Here are a few before shots taken a couple of weeks ago

Appears OK, although look at this one...plenty of mould and delaminating at the back, and headbox rear panel all swollen

Cabinet is shagged, too much delamination to repair with any confidence of it lasting

Playfield appears pretty good

A bit more mould proliferating around the edges of inserts!!

So basically ripped the playfield out and stripped the cabinet of all hardware.

Some people have asked how you keep track of where everything goes back together - all i do is take a photo like below, of every piece i remove.  This way, you just view the pictures in reverse order to put things back.  Obviuosly stuff like lane guides can all be done together rather than photograph each one - although i always highlight stuff that might be a bit different such as the far lane guide post that is different to the other screws.

Probably will splash out and buy some new lane guides....

Back panel is also shagged, all delaminating. I have used the old one as a template, and cut up a new one and painted it

Fast foward a few days and here is replacing the back panel of the headbox. Again, it is a fairly straightforward job - just measure exact dimensions, cut it out, splodge some liquid nails down and its all done!

I haven't shown it here, but the tiny gap between the frame and the new piece is filled with bog

New cabinet was built by a mate, but they still require a reasonable amount of work of bogging, sanding multiple times to fill all the grain and take out imperfections - even in new ply

So now the thread is up to date, have primed, sanded and painted black inside the cab and the corners - will allow that to cure and see when i get time to install decals and start cleaning the playfield and hardware.  Bub is only 10 days or so away, so may not get straight onto it!!

Offline DSB

• Trade Count: (0)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Gold Coast
    • OMNI Electrical & Data
Re: Indiana Jones Rescue
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2017, 11:47:37 PM »
Cool. I will keep an eye on this thread.

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 07:16:58 AM »
IJ is a big prject just to shop let alone what you have to do here! Looking forward to the next installment.
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline goodolddays

• Forum Posts:
  • Riverstone NSW
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 07:41:50 AM »
Good to see you saving another  game  Rob.  ^^^

look foward to seeing how this one turns out
I need more room ! and more $$$

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 10:05:26 PM »
"Well i thought i would kick off another resto before the next bub comes along"

Would that be because you coincide each restoration with a new bub, or is it the other way around ?

Will follow with interest - a Tough game to restore, but rewarding when completed. We will have new stock of the ramp in 3 weeks.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline robm

• Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 11:05:10 PM »
Have got a bit done over the last couple of evenings.  Been continuing to clean up bits like the coin door, lockdown bar receiver, leg brackets etc.  Also got onto the decal job.

Did the head one arvo with Lewis the apprentice!

I cut almost half the backing off, then stick it back on (so now there is a cut with some overlap in the middle of the backing). Then line up everything after triple checking, then put something heavy on one end (then check again for alignment!), and peel the backing off the unweighted end, and stick down.

The pic below is with the lower end of the head stuck down (the weight is just there for good measure), then applying the top section - the head is quite doable by yourself.

Finished product after trimming

Then the 'typical Rob resto pic' with wife 4 days before giving birth - what a trooper!!!

Same process as the head box with applying the decal, although there is a bit more room for error with the larger decals.  We can put the 3 main cabinet decals on fairly quickly now after having done a few

Mmmmm shiny!

I then put the metal cabinet protectors on, with leg bolts, screw in the small screws to hold them in place and cut approx 1 - 2 mm away from the edge of the protector, then peel that part of the decal off.  Photo below is after that is done.

Then this one is with the cab protector installed

I now use round headed screws to hold the cab protectors on (not the countersunk head ones supplied), as i have found it allows the leg a tad more clearance if it is not screwed on straight - minimising risk of one side hitting and marking the new decals.

Offline oldskool1969

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • perth
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2017, 10:30:37 AM »
Never done a cabinet decal, looks nice Dude  ^^^
If it isn't broke, it isn't pinball.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2017, 10:00:14 PM »
Awesome job Rob - and missus, and bubs..

Offline Mr Pinbologist

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Wauchope NSW
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2017, 12:24:41 AM »
Yepp, great job Rob  ^^^

I did the same thing on F14 and Fish Tales with the cab protectors; cut out the decal where they were fixed to the cabinet.
I even watched your decal application vid you put up on youtube and used it as a guide when i did F14, as it was my first ever attempt at applying cab decals!

Offline robm

• Forum Posts:
  • Townsville
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2017, 04:51:58 PM »
Well, bub has come into the world, however we have been back and forth to the hospital with a few issues, but all sorted now. I am in the middle of 2 weeks off, so have managed to put some time into getting this up and running once kids are sorted out of an evening.  I have been slack at documenting any photos during the playfield rebuild, and only have a couple of shots of the cab at the moment.

Anyway here are a few shots of the almost finished product.

Some things i did were replace the EMI filter - as with machines that have been left in storage for years liek this one, they always seem to go soon after firing up, and much easier to replace with the power box out of the machine.

Replaced a couple of switches and optos, also had an unusual problem with the idol lock always being 180 degrees out....turned out the motor was wired back to front - switched the plug around and it all was sorted.

Had not played an Indy for quite a few years, and really forgot how much a fun machine it is, also got 1.4B on the first game after the rebuild so was stoked with that!  Not sure what makes it so good, maybe the fact that there are quite a few shots from either flipper that actually progress things (ie: start mode, progress mode, progress multiball, progress captive ball, loop/ramp jackpots, get path of adventure), so there is always something to do and you are not biasing towards one or two particular shots. Plus the music and sounds are great.

Offline Strangeways

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2017, 10:22:25 PM »
Nice job, Rob.

Indy is like TZ and ST TNG - When they are restored correctly, they play correctly !

Offline pinnies4me

• Administrator
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Victoria
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2017, 12:27:23 PM »
Very nice indeed!
“If you wanna escape, go up to a pinball machine. There’s a magic button on the front that takes you to a world under the glass and makes the the rest of the universe disappear.”

Offline visionman

• Forum Posts:
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2017, 07:28:25 AM »
very nice job !!! !! i am also looking for one to rest orate so this was very interesting !

Offline super64

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2018, 10:35:30 PM »
damn the came out nice.......where is the best place to buy indy cab art?