Author Topic: transporting pinballs  (Read 1422 times)

Offline pinball god

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • Metallica is here to stay
transporting pinballs
« on: February 26, 2017, 07:05:02 PM »
Hi guys, need a very big favour re advice on the best way to pack/wrap pinballs to pretty much bullet proof them from removalist guys stuffing up. I wanted to move them myself and gb may be the only one I'll do, but my ve wagon is no for pins as Gorgor1 pointed out after laughing his head off.

I intend to lower heads etc and have bought plastic film wrap. So please step me through as detailed as possible. Last move a pin got scratched that I just redecalled, so want to minimize problems. Also should they he transported legs on or off. Going about 100kms away freeway driving.

Thanks for your help.
Still loving my Metallica Premium

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
Re: transporting pinballs
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2017, 07:21:46 PM »
cool, i am 100kms away on the freeway

remove the balls, fold the backbox down then wrap that plastic around a few times, then  a layer of cardboard due to doors
you may want a layer of cardboard on the back in case the game gets put down on the road

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2017, 07:44:42 PM »
cool, i am 100kms away on the freeway

remove the balls, fold the backbox down then wrap that plastic around a few times, then  a layer of cardboard due to doors
you may want a layer of cardboard on the back in case the game gets put down on the road
thanks Pete but no beaches where you are, just frost and possibly snow

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2017, 08:27:27 PM »
Rob,

If its going in the back of a removalist truck, I'd probably go the extra step or two.

I buy a couple of the moving blankets (I think bunnings sell them).  One of these goes between the playfield glass and headbox (folded down).
As PBP mentioned, all balls and anything loose I put in a zip lock bag and zip tie to the loop for the coin box.

Once the game is folded and on its backside, I will wrap another blanket around it, followed by numerous rolls of the shrink wrap to keep it all together.  Then I'll buy some large removalist boxes and cut them down to put over the sides of the game, then another few rounds of shrink wrap.

Make sure they are insured to max value with the removalists.

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2017, 09:00:52 PM »
Found some old photos Rob for reference.

Offline MartyJ

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2017, 09:02:38 PM »
More:

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2017, 11:56:48 PM »
More:

wow thanks for the detailed info. Much appreciated and man it looks like a lot of work. I have seven to do wish me luck lol

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 07:48:15 PM »
Quick question. Say I go to this extreme, how long can I leaves these wrapped as I don't plan on playing them again until I move to my new home. This could take a year at worst, more like 6 months.

Offline koops

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Forum Posts:
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2017, 08:16:19 PM »
I've had 3 wrapped like that for about 12 months now (also building a house). I have another 2 unwrapped in the same facility.

The storage place will be the most unknown.

I'm hoping nothing has happened inside the wrapped ones. My storage facility is very dry and I've checked them regularly today make sure they aren't getting any water damage from anywhere else so they seem pretty good so far.

Oh another tip, take your batteries out if you have them prior to wrapping them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline pinball god

• High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2017, 09:37:40 PM »
I've had 3 wrapped like that for about 12 months now (also building a house). I have another 2 unwrapped in the same facility.

The storage place will be the most unknown.

I'm hoping nothing has happened inside the wrapped ones. My storage facility is very dry and I've checked them regularly today make sure they aren't getting any water damage from anywhere else so they seem pretty good so far.

Oh another tip, take your batteries out if you have them prior to wrapping them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mine will be stored in a house but room will be a problem so thinking of keeping them sitting on their backs
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 10:21:37 PM by pinball god »