Author Topic: What's the future for the home market ?  (Read 6179 times)

Offline Retropin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
Re: What's the future for the home market ?
« on: March 18, 2017, 01:39:45 PM »
Most existing pins are in private collections already. They tend to stay there for a while and so market traffic decreases.
pimp this.. pimp that.. add LED's and chuck an extra grand on the value.. its all bollox because eventually, good condition, original machines will be the ultimate prize because most home/ dealers restorations are not up to par. We already see super thick clear coat.. restorers signing playfields as if in years to come they will somehow be respected for ultimately ruining a game. What's one mans restoration is another's abomination and once they reach the age of being classed as antiques, its originality/ patina etc that counts.
EM pinball prices are down but were stupid some 5 years back. EM arcade is now stupid money, DMD's and SS forever increasing.
When I see a $3500 RECEL game I really know the world has lost the plot.
But it turns like the tide due to demand for a particular era and so the 12-13K KISS's are no more.. the $15K Whitewaters are.. well.. laughable... $3.5K Zaccaria's. Its all nonsense and once ignored, settles down again.
The home market will exist for many many years.. I have at least another 30 in me I hope and I have no doubt that my line up will forever change as it has done for the last 20 or so. But by then, Stern CPU's will be obsolete and the games themselves probably unplayable. EM's though by then will be over 100 years old and still going strong.. only the basket cases get restored, the rest with scuffs, high scores scratched in the cabinet with a date from 1969, bit of flipper drag etc.. all firmly locked into the premium unobtainium market.

Gav