Author Topic: Some pin ball history and setting the record straight !  (Read 980 times)

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
Some pin ball history and setting the record straight !
« on: March 24, 2017, 09:53:37 PM »
Late last year, I was told that a "well known" pinball person was discussing the early days of the amusement industry in Australia with some colleagues. There was a claim that the industry started in the early 70's. A rebuttal to this claim was made by an attendee, and my late father's name was raised as a possible pioneer of the industry in Australia 15 years earlier. This is where it all becomes a Circus - "apparently", this well known individual "assisted" my old man to start his own business in the arcade industry. He stated this as fact.

I can handle BS artists and liars trying to bignote themselves, but to fabricate a story in an attempt to re-write history is pathetic and dishonest.

So I came across a HEAP of documentation recently, and I found an invoice book my old man used in the 1950's. The word "pinball" is specified as "Pin Ball". It just was not part of our vernacular in the country as yet (assumption) ! The date is 1957. Not 1970 something. So far, this is the earliest document I can find with a date, associated with Pinball.

I thought I'd share this - and I found a heap more early documents that I will post shortly.

For the record, Dad was a motor mechanic when he moved permanently to Australia in 1953 ;

Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline Pop Bumper Pete

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Forum Posts:
  • Ballarat
just stating the pinball industry started in the 70s would raise my eyebrow

dont worry about it Nino, some people are just full of it

Offline Freiherr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • The Oaks, NSW
  • Amongst clouds
I can vividly remember playing some very old machines around Sydney in the late 60's.....pinball was strong and healthy way before 1970's. My uncle came to Australia in 1954 and remembers playing pinball back then.
Nino, you have a treasure trove of old pinball history....I love the memories.
If you don't remember the 70s then you were on drugs.
If you remember playing pinball in the 70s you were having a good time.
If you don't remember anything,  then read about it here,

Offline Strangeways

• Pinball Restoration is my passion
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Melbourne
  • ABN 68 283 634 461
    • Ride The Boney Beast
just stating the pinball industry started in the 70s would raise my eyebrow

dont worry about it Nino, some people are just full of it

Ironically, the attendee that raised the question on the day is one of the younger generation.

I can vividly remember playing some very old machines around Sydney in the late 60's.....pinball was strong and healthy way before 1970's. My uncle came to Australia in 1954 and remembers playing pinball back then.
Nino, you have a treasure trove of old pinball history....I love the memories.

Wait until I post some supplier lists from the 60's - it is a full booklet ! I recently found the original photos of the soccer tables from 1953 with diagrams that look more like architectural drawings.
Aussie Pinball - Proud to be Australia's Premier Pinball Forum

http://www.australianpinballrestorations.com.au/

http://www.rtbb.com.au/catalog/

We carry the largest range of NEW Ramps in Australia

Offline ddstoys

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • High Score Initials:
  • Forum Posts:
  • Geelong
Yeah I was at the conversation pretty sad really when people have to lie or put others down.  Seem common amongst the pinball community.        I've seen and carried your dads pool tables with a coin slot large enough for pennies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk